PDA

View Full Version : Clever Ideas!

Poodroo
25-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Here's an opportunity to share some good ideas related to fishing and boating etc. I'll start with one. How often have you gone and purchased a large tube of silicone or in this case a tube of Sikaflex to do a small job and when you need it for the next job several months/years down the track it has become useless because it has set off in the tube? Well someone in the trade shared a good idea with me to preserve it and it is simple really. Once you finish with it you put a screw in the end of the nozzle as you would normally but stick the whole tube the freezer. It doesn't freeze as such but it doesn't go off and set rock solid either. I have tried it and it works. Any other good ideas out there? Surely there must be. Feel free to share. :)

Regards,

Poodroo

kingtin
25-05-2007, 03:22 PM
OK, mine's related to etc ;D

Terrorists.............most of them came here legally, and some hung around on
expired visas, for as long as 10-15 years.

Now, compare that to Blockbuster...........you are two days late with a video and those people are all over you................ Let's put Blockbuster in charge of immigration. ;D

kev

juju
25-05-2007, 03:32 PM
The problem what you can take for granted blows someone else away,i have tricks of the trade that people always say.."geez i would have never done it that way"....thats the good thing about boards like this, if you get stuck with something there is always someone with a answer...

FNQCairns
25-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Not really clever ideas more rationalizations, run 90wt hypoid gear oil in outboard legs, use waterproof marine grease for every application needed at home (one gun one brand, a person will never know the difference over time). And in any engine that has a sump use a HDDO (heavy duty diesel oil) of the correct viscosity - laughing all the way to the bank!

cheers fnq

WHALEOIL
26-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Here is a little tip I picked up recently after re-flooring my boat with 3 mil checker plate. I will give you the order that putting your boat back together should NOT be in.

1. Fit the meticulously cut aluminium into the boat.
2. Fix the floor to the boat with numerous pop rivets.
3. Screw seats back into the boat
4. Cut marine carpet and hold in place with flat bar aluminium.
5. Refit fuel tanks, air breathers and all those other fiddley things that you have to have 7 elbows to gain access to.
6. Look down the back yard at the floatation leaning up against the fence.:'(

Foxy4
26-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Here is a little tip I picked up recently after re-flooring my boat with 3 mil checker plate. I will give you the order that putting your boat back together should NOT be in.

5. Refit fuel tanks, air breathers and all those other fiddley things that you have to have 7 elbows to gain access to.

Whoops;D Another job well done, almost

Poodroo
26-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Lol WHALEOIL. That'd be something I'd do. Did you carry on like an angry loony when you realized you left the floatation out? If so we could be long lost twins. ;D

Poodroo

Poodroo
26-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Here is another clever idea. For people with the water restrictions in mind (which should be all of us) there are products that are starting to hit the market now that enable you to wash your car etc without using a single drop of water. I just put one to the test today and the result is very impressive. The product I used is in a spray bottle and put out by Polyglaze. Simply have two rags handy (soft) and spray the product on and wipe with first rag to remove dirt and then polish with the second rag to wipe off any residue and the result is a clean finish with a waxy smoothness. I'm impressed because it has been months since I washed the Pajero and it was looking pretty sad but now gleams and I didn't use a drop of water. Now that's a great idea. :)

Poodroo

el_carpo
26-05-2007, 04:32 PM
This is one everyone probably already knows but.........

Take a tape measurer and measure out along your fishing rod useful lengths and attach a peice of tape for quick reference. For example, where I live, a bass must be 14" in length and a northern pike must be 24" in length to be legal. So, I measure out from the end of my rod handle 14" and 24" and attach a piece of tape to my fishing rod at 14" and 24". It's a quick and easy way to tell if your fish is a "keeper" or not. It also helps in "guestimating" the size of a fish especially if you add more markers.

I wouldn't keep either species I listed normally, but in the rare occasion that I "gut-hook" a fish and I know it's a goner, I want to know that I won't get fined for keeping an undersized fish.

;D Then again, you Australians catch fish the size of small buses over there so this may not be altogether practical. Well, you can use it to measure your bait maybe...

kingtin
26-05-2007, 04:32 PM
it has been months since I washed the Pajero and it was looking pretty sad :)

Poodroo

Pajeros always look sad ;) ;D

kev

Poodroo
26-05-2007, 04:42 PM

Take a tape measurer and measure out along your fishing rod useful lengths and attach a peice of tape for quick reference. For example, where I live, a bass must be 14" in length and a northern pike must be 24" in length to be legal. So, I measure out from the end of my rod handle 14" and 24" and attach a piece of tape to my fishing rod at 14" and 24". It's a quick and easy way to tell if your fish is a "keeper" or not. It also helps in "guestimating" the size of a fish especially if you add more markers.

I wouldn't keep either species I listed normally, but in the rare occasion that I "gut-hook" a fish and I know it's a goner, I want to know that I won't get fined for keeping an undersized fish.

;D Then again, you Australians catch fish the size of small buses over there so this may not be altogether practical. Well, you can use it to measure your bait maybe...
Good idea El Carpo. ;)
Thanks Kev also for your input. Lol

Poodroo

manchild
26-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Good idea would be to go fishing instead of hanging around here and talking shite sometimes;D
Also a great idea a heard recently and tried out ,to much of my statisfaction.Wear your jumpers as pants around the house its very comfy ,beats real pants hands down:D
George

shaman
26-05-2007, 09:02 PM
re water restrictions: I purchased a tank last Friday (5000lt in the colour I wanted!!) and it has turned up already and it was 100$ or so cheaper than most people quoting 8-12 weeks delivery.
So if anyone wants his details P.M me and I'll supply.....

Poodroo
27-05-2007, 03:10 AM
Good idea would be to go fishing instead of hanging around here and talking shite sometimes;D

George

Obviously someone who doesn't follow the reports Estuary section too closely. :-X ;D

Poodroo

dnej
27-05-2007, 08:48 AM
When fitting gear to your boat,and you want to use Sikaflex,to seal underneath the item, if you ever want to get the item off, in the future, you are buggared.
However, if you lay down the Sikaflex,and then a piece of gladwrap,before fitting the item,you have made a gasket.No more problems with removal.
Just dont screw down too hard,initially,before the Sika sets.
David

WHALEOIL
27-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Lol WHALEOIL. That'd be something I'd do. Did you carry on like an angry loony when you realized you left the floatation out? If so we could be long lost twins. ;D

Nah Poo. I couldn't because the missus is the person who pointed to the back fence and asked if I was going to leave it out.
I calmly replied, " Of course I am, other wise it would be in the boat"
She calmly came back with "Bullshit, idiot"
10 years ago and there wouldn't have been a tool left in the yard.

Deiter
27-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Nah Poo. I couldn't because the missus is the person who pointed to the back fence and asked if I was going to leave it out.

RALMFAO;D ;D ;D

That's a classic whaleoil.;D Thanx for that.;)

disorderly
28-05-2007, 12:07 AM

Yeah thats a shocker WHALEOIL.
The only thing worse than realising that you have stuffed up big time is when your wife realizes it before you do.
Then it becomes family legend and you reach a bizzare kind of immortality that means you are remembered more for your bumbling antics than any perceived heroics.

But thats family for ya.

cheers Scott

WHALEOIL
28-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks Fellas.

Yeah thats a shocker WHALEOIL.
The only thing worse than realising that you have stuffed up big time is when your wife realizes it before you do.
Then it becomes family legend and you reach a bizzare kind of immortality that means you are remembered more for your bumbling antics than any perceived heroics.

But thats family for ya.

Nah mate, my credibility will always be in tact. I bought a freezer some years back so we could buy in bulk.
She went and did a shop to stock it up and what did I find? A dozen cans of beetroot.
The simpleton gold medal is hers.

3Vs
28-05-2007, 08:48 PM
An oldy but a goody-

Always check the bungs are in

Toddy_again
28-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Hahahaha;D

Toddy

manchild
29-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Obviously someone who doesn't follow the reports Estuary section too closely. :-X ;D

Poodroo
Dear Mr Poo ,above comments were not directed to you but all of us as fishermans .:P

ps:jumperpants idea still tops ;D
George

pebble_monkey
29-05-2007, 06:40 PM
This ones probably obvious but ... If you have a carpeted floor, stick the rough side of a strip of velcro on the bottom of eskies, tackle boxes and the like ..... to stop them from sliding around

Cheers
Petra

dogsbody
29-05-2007, 06:57 PM
I have got some thin cutting board type material stuck to the side decks so i can do a quick cut of bait or line etc without having to get the cutting board that has usually gone walk about when shifting spots.

Dave.

haggis
29-05-2007, 09:05 PM
my wife made me a pouch with fifteen pockets & gave me her thread holders from her cross stitching collection . I now make up diffrent traces before we go & it takes two seconds to re rig after a bite off .
cheers fae haggis.....................

Kleyny
29-05-2007, 10:23 PM
when using paint or sealer to seala your ply between coats wrap your bush/roller in gladwrap then in a plastic bag to seal it up. stops it from going hard or having to wash the items up.

old painter trick for smoko

neil

theclick
29-05-2007, 11:39 PM
i got one or two.

1! mandatory license checks whilst buying fuel to catch unlicensed and warranted drivers.

2) the Spurinal (patented :P). like a urinal, but for people to chuck up in at bars. wall mountable. Also portable version for hospitals.

WHALEOIL
30-05-2007, 04:17 AM
I replace my wheel bearings twice a year and keep the old ones (usualy two sets) and one new set in the boat for those that don't.
I have done 2 trailers in one trip during school holidays.

finga
30-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Make sure you have a mate with a boat.....saves you buying one to go fishing (if you like fishing out of a boat)
Make sure he has lots of tackle as well. Might as well save that expense as well :)

I'm not even going to contemplate the jumper pants idea. Might be a tad scarey ::)

Awesome
30-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Run your anchor chain thru an old push bike tube, so the chain doesn't rub on your boat.

onerabbit
30-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Your two posts are gold Kev, also liked the beetroot in the freezer,

recent experience has proved, never assume the other boat is just coming over for a chat.

Muzz

Nog
31-05-2007, 07:59 AM
"This ones probably obvious but ... If you have a carpeted floor, stick the rough side of a strip of velcro on the bottom of eskies, tackle boxes and the like ..... to stop them from sliding around"

Simple but brilliant, and here I was wondering where to screw down flanges to attach a strap to hold on to the esky handles

aussie_true_blue
31-05-2007, 08:58 AM
If bottom bashing with hand lines have an old push bike tube handy so you can cut a piece to slip on ya finger to stop the BIG ONE when it runs from slicing ya finger with the line. Works on overheads too.

Cheers bob

Davemclean
01-06-2007, 06:19 AM
sew a strip, or get your misses, to sew a strip of thick cotton on all trouser seams to strengthen them, I went out last night, slipped, and split the crotch of my trousers (I did the splits, painful and embarassing, than god I was wearing underwear :lol: ), so now all fishing clothes have the seams strengthened so they wont rip, lol

B_E_N
01-06-2007, 09:55 AM
haha yeh you dont wont your tackle everywhere! :)

Mozza
01-06-2007, 11:15 AM
One of my enduring memories as a child was of wearing my dads jumper as pants, sleeping on the seat on the 70km drive back to the farm from fishing.

Velcro hmm, what can't you do with it I wonder? I use it to fix the sounder to the seat after breaking 2 brackets. Like the idea of the flexi-cutting board - a bit like fitting polypipe to the tops of tray-backs. That'd would work on the gunwale of the tinny, come to think of it.

Mozza

littlejim
01-06-2007, 06:26 PM
For those contemplating forking out for trailer roller axles with grease nipples on (expensive) the other option is to drill holes in the rollers so a grease nipple will fit in and let you pump it in with the gun.
Personally I don't grease mine, I squirt oil in along the axle, and where the axle runs in the bracket, every now and then.

dogsbody
01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
I GOT A ESKI THAT HAS HOLES ON EITHER SIDE FOR TIE DOWN PIONTS OOOPS so i got two gal gutter nails and tied rope to them and wrap that around the front thwart and put the nails in the holes to stop the esky from sliding around whilst under way.

Dave.

BilgeBoy
02-06-2007, 12:20 AM
He's an Ideas man that Kev!! Talk about laugh!!!

Hey Poodroo...Good thread mate. Here are a couple for you budding entrepeneurs

a. Numbered Flags for your arial....that way I know what channel you are on
b. Altitude detonators for crab potts....that will make scum think twice.
c. Put the tire pressure on the valve stem cap....that way the missus wont put 62 PSI in her car tyres.
d. Oh and telephones that recognise & block Indian call centres....

arrgggghhhh the serenity!!

Regards

BilgeBoy

finga
02-06-2007, 05:37 AM
At least yours checks the pressure BilgeBoy :-/.
Good idea Davemlean!! Strengthen the shorts and undies to avoid blowouts :)

How about putting your phone and camera in a zippy lock bag to try and avoid the ingress of water into said electronic items that don't really like briney water. That ones saved my neck a few times in the tinny.
You can buy the proper bags but they're usually a pain in the posteria to get the items out of.

Keeps them coming guys. :)

Poodroo
02-06-2007, 07:47 PM
He's an Ideas man that Kev!! Talk about laugh!!!

Hey Poodroo...Good thread mate. Here are a couple for you budding entrepeneurs

a. Numbered Flags for your arial....that way I know what channel you are on
b. Altitude detonators for crab potts....that will make scum think twice.
c. Put the tire pressure on the valve stem cap....that way the missus wont put 62 PSI in her car tyres.
d. Oh and telephones that recognise & block Indian call centres....

arrgggghhhh the serenity!!

Regards

BilgeBoy

Thanks BilgeBoy. I just knew there had to be more than one good idea out there. Thanks everyone for getting in and sharing them. Have picked up a couple of good tips. I think that's a great idea about flying a flag with the radio frequency. That way people can call you up on the 27 meg and hurl abuse at you for something rather than scream it out at the top of their lungs. ::)

Regards,

Poodroo

Freeeedom
03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Keep all old bait and suitable kitchen scraps (bread, pizza crusts, cheese, sausage, prawn shells, oil from anchovy tins etc) and throw into food processor with a bit of water and blend to a slurry. I've got a brand new food processor, which cost me $20 at "the Warehouse", which is only used for this purpose. Pour the slurry into an ice-cream tub and freeze solid. It might take a few goes until it's full, then remove and tie in a plastic bag and start again. When next you go fishing place a block in your berley bucket and you'll get a slow release of very fine berley as the block melts. Unused blocks act as ice-blocks in the cooler until used.
Cheers Freeeedom

Poodroo
04-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Keep all old bait and suitable kitchen scraps (bread, pizza crusts, cheese, sausage, prawn shells, oil from anchovy tins etc) and throw into food processor with a bit of water and blend to a slurry. I've got a brand new food processor, which cost me $20 at "the Warehouse", which is only used for this purpose. Pour the slurry into an ice-cream tub and freeze solid. It might take a few goes until it's full, then remove and tie in a plastic bag and start again. When next you go fishing place a block in your berley bucket and you'll get a slow release of very fine berley as the block melts. Unused blocks act as ice-blocks in the cooler until used.
Cheers Freeeedom

Great idea there Freeeedom. Thanks for sharing. I love my anchovies so that's a good excuse to eat more. ;)

Poodroo

ashh
13-07-2007, 05:58 PM
heres one for ya.
when your doing a solo trip and you need to get some yabbys, but as murphys law has it you end up trying to pump them when there is half a foot of water or so over the bank. Each time you pump your yabbys into the seive it tips or sinks and you lose the yabbys.
I have done this to my seive and it works a treat. All it is is a kids pool noodle, cable tied around the outside into a few holes drilled through the lip of the seive ;D

charleville
13-07-2007, 06:18 PM
heres one for ya.
when your doing a solo trip and you need to get some yabbys, but as murphys law has it you end up trying to pump them when there is half a foot of water or so over the bank. Each time you pump your yabbys into the seive it tips or sinks and you lose the yabbys.
I have done this to my seive and it works a treat. All it is is a kids pool noodle, cable tied around the outside into a few holes drilled through the lip of the seive ;D

I have done this with a bike tube but you need to tie a rope on it to stop it drifting away in the wind.

Sean
13-07-2007, 07:48 PM
i can't beleive no one has thought of this one.....don't get married.

Marlin_Mike
13-07-2007, 07:55 PM
i just glued ply styrene foam round th outside of mine

Mike

rumy1
13-07-2007, 10:56 PM

Too right .... then every bloke can have big nice dear boats !!!
Another tip ..... wife's first trip in boat, wait till 30 kt winds, she'll never go out again !

major-defect
14-07-2007, 04:22 AM
I put my digi camera in a small tupper wear container when I go out in the boat,no salt air or water.

kingtin
14-07-2007, 10:59 AM
OK, mine's related to etc ;D

Terrorists.............most of them came here legally, and some hung around on
expired visas, for as long as 10-15 years.

Now, compare that to Blockbuster...........you are two days late with a video and those people are all over you................ Let's put Blockbuster in charge of immigration. ;D

kev

You can also throw the Immigration Department and the heads of Detention Centres into absolute indecision by claiming that asylum seekers are the natural predators of paedophiles. ;D

kev

snasman
14-07-2007, 12:26 PM

LOL I wish I'd read this bit of advice 2 Xs ago I'd probably have a bigger boat if that was the case .Classic :)

Mattg68
14-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Take a tape measurer and measure out along your fishing rod useful lengths and attach a peice of tape for quick reference. For example, where I live, a bass must be 14" in length and a northern pike must be 24" in length to be legal. So, I measure out from the end of my rod handle 14" and 24" and attach a piece of tape to my fishing rod at 14" and 24". It's a quick and easy way to tell if your fish is a keeper or not. It also helps in guestimating the size of a fish especially if you add more markers.

this is one I did something about a few years back, being a screenprinter I made up some 'rod rulers' about 7mm wide & 700mm long printed on a clear vinyl in metallic silver & stuck to the rod for quick reference & it saves a lot of mucking around scrambling for rulers especially when fishing from land. Well done El carpo, great minds think alike.

Matt

sandyd
14-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Too right .... then every bloke can have big nice dear boats !!!
Another tip ..... wife's first trip in boat, wait till 30 kt winds, she'll never go out again !

If you think that way then obvously you married the wrong person. :)

I put the suggestion to owen to buy a bigger boat, ok so his sights are a little higher now and I have had to say no for now, but he goes fishing nearly when ever he wants, sometimes may not get what he want when he comes home but he goes fishing. ::)

kingtin
14-07-2007, 06:28 PM
sometimes may not get what he want when he comes home ::)

Too much information! ;) ;D

kev

Top Tips:

Mums. After your kids have mastered spelling with Alphabetti Spaghetti, buy a tin of the normal stuff so as they can practise joined-up writing.

manchild
14-07-2007, 06:53 PM
May be someone can help me here with a suggestion.How do you lock your family out of your garage when you wanna watch the game beside a potybelly in peace and quiet?
George

kingtin
14-07-2007, 07:36 PM
May be someone can help me here with a suggestion.How do you lock your family out of your garage when you wanna watch the game beside a potybelly in peace and quiet?
George

A few backhanders works wonders ;D

kev

Top Tips:

BONO........don't take the pis* by spending thousands of pounds on pink tinted sunglasses and then ask the working class to give to charity.

manchild
14-07-2007, 07:40 PM
A few backhanders works wonders ;D

kev

Top Tips:

BONO........don't take the pis* by spending thousands of pounds on pink tinted sunglasses and then ask the working class to give to charity.
Thanks mate but i would like to have an intimate time with the missus in the foreseeable future;D Baked beans may help,i usually sit around in adam custom in summer that helps too::)
George

kingtin
14-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks mate but i would like to have an intimate time with the missus in the foreseeable future;D Baked beans may help,i usually sit around in adam custom in summer that helps too::)
George

LMAO George. If you want to add insult to injury, go for the brussel sprouts with the beans. Don't wear trackies with elastic bottoms though and don't get too close to the stove ;D

kev

Top Tips:

Dieters. Buy only Russian Alphabetti Spaghetti as there are only 22 letters in the Cyrillic alphabet. Just watch the pounds fall off. Sergei Atkinsov

manchild
14-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Dont worry i wont get too close ,on a second tought i think my enerG-string is fire and heatproof.
G

manchild
14-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Didnt people just congratulate you for your tought and meaningful 5000 posts?LOL

kingtin
14-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Didnt people just congratulate you for your tought and meaningful 5000 posts?LOL

Yeah mate :-[......... I'm showing the real me now ;D

kev

Top Tips:

Baseball cap manufacturers. Save the wearer the bother of turning your caps round by putting the peak on the other side.

PinHead
14-07-2007, 11:01 PM
If you think that way then obvously you married the wrong person. :)

I put the suggestion to owen to buy a bigger boat, ok so his sights are a little higher now and I have had to say no for now, but he goes fishing nearly when ever he wants, sometimes may not get what he want when he comes home but he goes fishing. ::)

he is a lucky man. So am I..I got the bigger boat and she chose it. I bet he always get what he wants when he gets home...a nice cold beer.

Black_Rat
15-07-2007, 01:51 AM
#1. When heading out for an extnded period on the boat never leave without a roll & a spare roll of $hit tickets ;D

#2. Grab some of those glow in the dark sticks for your rod tip when night fishing :) it takes out the guessing of "was that a bite" ?

2rods
15-07-2007, 03:10 AM
Here is a copy from another forum... I did this about 2 years ago now and there is still no rust on my trailer;D

After just having the last week or so off work I decided to make up a simple system to wash the inside of my boat trailer with out having to lay in the mud and grass to do it. Most of the trailers I have seen that rust tend to do so from the inside.

So off to Bunnings new store I went and brought some 19mm poly irrigation pipe and fittings and some 5mm flexable clear pvc tube total cost about $15.00.

I ran the pipe down each side rail (on top of it) and put the tube into the drain holes at the end of the crossmembers. Then a hose fitting at one end and a stopper at the other.

I have also put one down inside the side rails with lots of holes in it and a fitting at one end for the hose to hook up to.

I tried it out and it all works well, not the best looking mod I have ever done but I think it will be one of the most usefull oh and cheapest.

So now when I get back from a trip I just hook up the hose and the trailer gets a good wash inside (where you never get with a hose) while I unload the boat and have a beer http://www.fishingterritory.com/images/smiles/cheers.gif I know I still need to wash the outside of the trailer but that is always the easy bit.

And if I get 12months more out of the trailer for $15.00 how can I go wrong. http://www.fishingterritory.com/images/smiles/biggthumpup.gif

kind_cir
15-07-2007, 05:40 AM
If you own a open tinny, you all know how cold it can get on your face whilst underway on a cold winters night or morning. With no windscreen to protect you from the elements it can get fn cold. So wear a baliclavia/skimask to protect your face from the cold.

sandyd
15-07-2007, 06:31 AM
he is a lucky man. So am I..I got the bigger boat and she chose it. I bet he always get what he wants when he gets home...a nice cold beer.

No Greg I hid his beers and as he is only able to have a male look, he never finds them. What else did you think I was talking about? :wings:

Sean
15-07-2007, 08:22 AM
put bungs in b4 you head out.....I'm full of good ideas!!

PJ
15-07-2007, 12:38 PM
I often head out on my own and these ideas have helped - I place my wallet, mobile phone, car keys and a spare camera battery in a small Pelican Micro Case that is waterproof and it floats. When I pull into the ramp I simply grab the boat keys and the case - safer with me! Because there's nobody to hold the boat steady in the wind and current while I attach the winch cable, I put a bollard on the winch post so once I've pulled the boat into position I can quickly tie the rope to the bollard under tension and the boat stays put. I tie a piece of thick fishing line fairly tightly around my rod handles so I can easily hook the lure to it rather than the guides. This means the lures and hooks bang against the cork handle rather than the expensive graphite. No damage to the cork yet!

PJ

Poodroo
16-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Here is a copy from another forum... I did this about 2 years ago now and there is still no rust on my trailer;D

After just having the last week or so off work I decided to make up a simple system to wash the inside of my boat trailer with out having to lay in the mud and grass to do it. Most of the trailers I have seen that rust tend to do so from the inside.

So off to Bunnings new store I went and brought some 19mm poly irrigation pipe and fittings and some 5mm flexable clear pvc tube total cost about $15.00.

I ran the pipe down each side rail (on top of it) and put the tube into the drain holes at the end of the crossmembers. Then a hose fitting at one end and a stopper at the other.

I have also put one down inside the side rails with lots of holes in it and a fitting at one end for the hose to hook up to.

I tried it out and it all works well, not the best looking mod I have ever done but I think it will be one of the most usefull oh and cheapest.

So now when I get back from a trip I just hook up the hose and the trailer gets a good wash inside (where you never get with a hose) while I unload the boat and have a beer http://www.fishingterritory.com/images/smiles/cheers.gif I know I still need to wash the outside of the trailer but that is always the easy bit.

And if I get 12months more out of the trailer for $15.00 how can I go wrong. http://www.fishingterritory.com/images/smiles/biggthumpup.gif

Just love it. I might just use this idea myself. Thanks for sharing.

Poodroo

Sea-Dog
16-07-2007, 09:49 AM
When applying sunscreen - use a plastic sandwich bag to cover your hand. (or disposable glove if you have them)

That way, no sunscreen smell to taint lures or bait.

.................................................. .................................................. ...........................

What I'd like to see is a rust-free version of one of those spring-loaded, extendable dog leash thinggys. (The type you usually see a chihuahua or pomeranian running around on) Would be good for attaching crab-pot float to.

Attach the handle end to the float and the dog end to the pot.

No tangled lines to stand on, less chance of cutoffs as the tension on the line would keep the float almost directly over the pot. And rope stays correct length with change in tide height.

Would be super easy to throw the pots out - the rope just unfurls itself to the required depth. When you're pulling the pot back up, the rope rewinds itself too.

Maybe it could be built into the float.

Anyone into manufacturing????

- Sea-Dog

Nowhere Bob
16-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Sorry for the obvious, but.
Use Pomeranian for bait.;D
No worries about rust proof as you use a new leash every pomeranian.

If you hear of someone snatching yap yap & leash from a dirt bike, I didn't do it.

B_E_N
16-07-2007, 11:42 AM
seadog, thats a top idea, quick make it legally yours so no one flogs it :D

Nowhere Bob
16-07-2007, 12:20 PM
sorry, double post.

Tailortaker
16-07-2007, 01:17 PM
When I take the boat out I put my phone,wallet,keys & camera in a small storage container with a snap lock lid that I bought from crazy clarks for a few bucks. It keeps tham safe and dry with no salt on them.
________
Redhead Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/redhead-girls/)

Sea-Dog
16-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Another idea is to find one of those old metal mincers at a trash & treasure sale.

Mount it on the gunwales of your boat. Next time a (insert favourite pest fish here) makes an appearance - drop him head-first into the mincer. Instant burley.

Can be used for any scraps. No bits big enough to give much of a feed, but coarse enough to drift down toward the bottom.

Also, its quieter than the old traditional burley chopper.

Cheech
17-07-2007, 01:43 PM
put bungs in b4 you head out.....I'm full of good ideas!!

Put them in before you leave to go to the ramp.

SgBFish
17-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Its more than 1 mistake that leads to disaster.
I’ve never forgotten to check my bungs, so how come one was left out of my boat on Sunday.
I’d checked the bungs before going out on Saturday came home parked the boat and intended to go out Sunday so apart from taking the old gear out did nothing to the boat.

Out on the water Sunday morning early I noticed the bilge filling with water when stopped. Turned pump on and headed for home.

Up on the trailer there is water pouring out of one bung hole that had the bung hanging out. I have 3 bungs, luckily it was a small one.

How did this happen?

A person unfamiliar with the boat on Saturday had loosened one of the bungs thinking they were doing the right thing.

Moral never assume anything. New rule: I am the only one that touches the bungs.

Blackened
17-07-2007, 05:02 PM
G'day

Thanks for the velcro tip on the esky, Bought some from k mart the other day, what I used cost about $1, Works a treat

When fishing, don't use a knife or your teeth to cut braid or mono. go and buy a pair of nail clippers, $3 or less and they do a precision job, Just play dumb when mum asks you where hers went...

Dave

tunaticer
17-07-2007, 06:24 PM
The most important tip of all is check the split pin on your prop and never reuse one. I did a swap several months ago and reused the split pin as it had only been used once before. Yesterday i pulled up 25km from the ramp outside Bribie, Clicked it into gear again and nothing. Had a look over the back just in time to see the prop tumbling down in 100ft of water. Here I am with a spare prop and no spare nut!!

The biggest nut of course is me!!

Several hundred bucks later for a tow back by our fantastic volunteer rescue coastguard and I now have spare everything and all stowed where they will be of use if i ever need them again.

Gotta put my hands together for the Coastguard guys tho bloody fantastic service they provide for idiots like me.

Jack.

Sean
17-07-2007, 07:37 PM
I haven't done it, i just thought it was a good idea.

Sea-Dog
22-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I was just doing a bit of research on fibreglass materials. One link that I followed was to the site of the manufacturer of Q-Cells. Hollow glass spheres used as a filler with resin to form a bedding/fillet compound.

Another product the same company makes is the reflective glass beads that are used for line-marking roads.

Imagine covering the outside of your hull/cabin with these babies... Just a little bit of light shining in your direction and your boat would appear to light up like a christmas tree.

Even if you had a stripe of this stuff all the way around your hull, would make night fishing down the 'pin somewhat safer.

Paint the outside of your transom and it makes your boat heaps easier to see when on the trailer at night-time.

I don't know if it's feasible or not - but I may look into it in the future.

Mattg68
23-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Seadog, I can help you out with this if you wish. My company manufactures reflective adhesive products for a range of industries namely trucks & buses for their safety markings. This reflective comes in yellow & white & various width strips, ideal for what your after. PM me if you would like to know more.

see pic below.

Matt

B_E_N
23-07-2007, 03:03 PM
i think the glass beads your talking about require a very hot flame to melt them to the surface, just saw it one day. so it may cook ya boat, id opt for the stickers

Mattg68
23-07-2007, 05:52 PM
i think the glass beads your talking about require a very hot flame to melt them to the surface, just saw it one day. so it may cook ya boat, id opt for the stickers

Your right Ben, the 'heat method' you saw was probably the road marking or other floor type marking method where they heat the resin (binding) compound before applying the glass beads - either way no good for boats your right there. The stickers are the way to go for that as the glass beads are already embedded in the surface of the material. If applying to a white surface you would only need a 25mm strip of white material around the boat which would be hardly visible to the eye from a few metres away during the day but would light up clearly at night meaning anyone who ran into you was totally blind (vision that is).

Comes in RED, GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW, BROWN, GOLD, BLACK & can be cut to any shape. We have done boat rego numbers in the past so they double up as a safety measure at night. Great stuff.

Matt

Sea-Dog
23-07-2007, 08:41 PM
G'day Matt,

Are the stickers as highly reflective as the road markings?

What about the adhesives used on the stickers - will they hold up in marine environment?

Cheers, Ross

P.S. I just had another look at Potters industries website (mob that manufactures Q-Cells) they make no mention of the use of heat in the highway installation of these reflective beads.

Quoted from website: " Premium Highway Safety Marking Spheres can be applied as drop-on spheres in all commercial applications�water-borne paint, epoxy, polyester, thermoplastic, PMMA, polyurethane, polyurea and VOC-compliant paints."

I have sent a fairly lengthy email to the manufacturer with questions on the suitability of glass beads for a marine application.

I will post any reply that I get in response.

jrf1973
24-07-2007, 09:14 PM
I've cut a piece off a pool noodle, cut a slit in it lengthways and stuck it on the rail of the boat. Good for sticking lures, SP's in.

Did this after sitting on a jackall at Cooby dam one day !!!

thatp1g
24-07-2007, 09:36 PM
great idea and you probly heard me laughing from here.

SCOTTYGC
25-07-2007, 08:59 AM
I've cut a piece off a pool noodle, cut a slit in it lengthways and stuck it on the rail of the boat. Good for sticking lures, SP's in.

Did this after sitting on a jackall at Cooby dam one day !!!

yes a great idea

Miss C
25-07-2007, 10:05 AM

reminds me of my favourite telly ad.

Charter Boat - What Charter Boat!!!

Sea-Dog
27-07-2007, 07:40 PM
<snip>

P.S. I just had another look at Potters industries website (mob that manufactures Q-Cells) they make no mention of the use of heat in the highway installation of these reflective beads.

<snip>

I have sent a fairly lengthy email to the manufacturer with questions on the suitability of glass beads for a marine application.

I will post any reply that I get in response.

Got a reply:
(quote)
Ross,
An interesting concept. Potters Australia is investigating the concept with our scientific staff. I will get back to you soon.
Bob XXXXXX (name deleted for privacy)
Product Manager, Highway Safety Products
Potters Asia Pacific
(end quote)

In my original email I asked about the possible use of these reflective glass beads for use on outside of hull and superstructure of boats for High visibility at night.
Maybe more info to follow :)

Poodroo
27-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Got a reply:
(quote)
Ross,
An interesting concept. Potters Australia is investigating the concept with our scientific staff. I will get back to you soon.
Bob XXXXXX (name deleted for privacy)
Product Manager, Highway Safety Products
Potters Asia Pacific
(end quote)

In my original email I asked about the possible use of these reflective glass beads for use on outside of hull and superstructure of boats for High visibility at night.
Maybe more info to follow :)

I am glad I started this thread now. There have been some top ideas shared and once again I thank all who contributed. This is why I love Ausfish!

Regards,

Poodroo

Mattg68
27-07-2007, 09:44 PM
G'day Matt,

Are the stickers as highly reflective as the road markings?

What about the adhesives used on the stickers - will they hold up in marine environment?

Cheers, Ross

Ross, I will PM you some details regarding all the reflectives. The painting the hull method is going to cost you a motsa but certainly not impossible. Just because one company doesn't mention heat method doesn't mean it ain't so, the 'drop in' method is by far & away the most popular. Marine environment wouldn't be a problem with the adhesives.

Matt

Mr__Bean
28-07-2007, 02:47 AM

I put my digi camera in a small tupper wear container when I go out in the boat,no salt air or water.

Good idea, but if I did that I would never be able to find the friggen lid.

- Darren

SunnyCoastMark
28-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Hey Guys,
Great topic! Gives me something to read while I'm sick in bed with the flu. (of course its only blowing 10knots sw as well!) Couple of ideas.

1) You know how you always seem to catch a feed of fish at the other end of the week to Bin day? When I clean my fish, I put the fish frames and guts into a plastic bag and pop it into the freezer until Bin day - that way my bin doesn't stink.

2)Don't bother buying ice for the esky - just fill up cordial/soft drink bottles and freeze them. - you can re-use them over and over.

Mark

Poodroo
28-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Hey Guys,
Great topic! Gives me something to read while I'm sick in bed with the flu. (of course its only blowing 10knots sw as well!) Couple of ideas.

1) You know how you always seem to catch a feed of fish at the other end of the week to Bin day? When I clean my fish, I put the fish frames and guts into a plastic bag and pop it into the freezer until Bin day - that way my bin doesn't stink.

2)Don't bother buying ice for the esky - just fill up cordial/soft drink bottles and freeze them. - you can re-use them over and over.

Mark

Sorry about you having the flu. If it makes you feel better I was organizing to go out on the water today but alas I forgot I had an appointment with my tax agent. Dammit! :-[

I do exactly the same as you by freezing the fish frames etc until bin day. Only thing I do different with the cordial bottles is I use high levels of salt in them to raise the freezing temp. Takes longer to freeze them but it also takes longer to thaw and they have a lower freezing temperature. Would not be the first time that I have taken a feed home and found that they were bordering on being frozen in the ice slurry in the esky. Have enjoyed reading the ideas in this thread immensely. :)

Poodroo

SunnyCoastMark
28-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Sorry about you having the flu. If it makes you feel better I was organizing to go out on the water today but alas I forgot I had an appointment with my tax agent. Dammit! :-[

I do exactly the same as you by freezing the fish frames etc until bin day. Only thing I do different with the cordial bottles is I use high levels of salt in them to raise the freezing temp. Takes longer to freeze them but it also takes longer to thaw and they have a lower freezing temperature. Would not be the first time that I have taken a feed home and found that they were bordering on being frozen in the ice slurry in the esky. Have enjoyed reading the ideas in this thread immensely. :)

Poodroo

Hey Poo,
I'll take the tax agent anyday over the flu;)

The salt is a good idea, only thing is - I think it is good to leave the water fresh - so you have extra to drink in case of emergency.

Hopefully I'll be right to go for a quick session out of Mooloolaba tomorrow night;D
Cheers

Mark

Poodroo
28-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey Poo,
I'll take the tax agent anyday over the flu;)

The salt is a good idea, only thing is - I think it is good to leave the water fresh - so you have extra to drink in case of emergency.

Hopefully I'll be right to go for a quick session out of Mooloolaba tomorrow night;D
Cheers

Mark

I have a large chiller which I fill with ample water supply enough for two people usually. The salt water ice bricks are always kept separate. Yeah I will be floating around in the bay tomorrow myself I think. ;)

Poodroo

Longshot
28-07-2007, 07:05 PM

Poodroo

I also use bottles, but go to the local Coles or whatever and buy their no name litre and a half bottles of "spring" water (for around $4.00 for 6) freeze them and not only ice but drinking water if required. MSQ is happy also.

Sea-Dog
29-07-2007, 10:28 AM
<snip> I was organizing to go out on the water today but alas I forgot I had an appointment with my tax agent. Dammit! :-[

<snip>

Poodroo

Hey Poo, why give money to a tax agent - just download e-tax from ato.gov.au and do it yourself for free.

(P.S I am an insider)

Poodroo
29-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey Poo, why give money to a tax agent - just download e-tax from ato.gov.au and do it yourself for free.

(P.S I am an insider)

Well there are a couple of reasons I use a tax agent Sea-Dog. Main reason is that I have a fairly complicated return because I use the car for work etc. The other reason is I am perpetually lazy when it comes to spending time on my taxes. I think it is money well spent to pay someone to do it for me and I can claim their fees anyhow. ;)

Poodroo

Mr__Bean
30-07-2007, 02:24 AM
I saw this idea on a West Australian fishing site some years ago.

Magnificent for late model outboards that have very small water inlet holes at the water pickup.

If you get less water out of your tell-tale hole when you run your motor on the muffs compared to when you run it when it is sitting in the water, then consider making one of these.

You need to buy a second set of muffs to get the second inlet rubber and some simple parts available from a hardware store.

Sure it will cost you about $25 bucks all up, but what is that water pump and head gasket worth?

- Darren

http://www.fishnet.com.au/content/fishnet/images/gallery/334c04b8-5830-403e-b278-7b11edfe752a.jpg

Poodroo
30-07-2007, 05:56 PM
I saw this idea on a West Australian fishing site some years ago.

Magnificent for late model outboards that have very small water inlet holes at the water pickup.

If you get less water out of your tell-tale hole when you run your motor on the muffs compared to when you run it when it is sitting in the water, then consider making one of these.

You need to buy a second set of muffs to get the second inlet rubber and some simple parts available from a hardware store.

Sure it will cost you about $25 bucks all up, but what is that water pump and head gasket worth?

- Darren

http://www.fishnet.com.au/content/fishnet/images/gallery/334c04b8-5830-403e-b278-7b11edfe752a.jpg
Thanks Darren. It is a top idea. Thanks for sharing. I actually know a fellow Ausfisher who is using one similar. Great White has one.

Regards,

Poodroo

bay_firey
30-07-2007, 07:06 PM
I think I have seen the same sort of thing sold in stores now as a ready to go unit.

SunnyCoastMark
30-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Here's a personal one:-

Did you know that it is way easier to cut your Toe Nails AFTER a shower or bath!:o

..another little gem..

Mark

Tezza@Tannum
30-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Great thread lot's of good reading.
With the freezing your own ice, instead of freezing fresh water, use sea water instead. It lasts a lot longer. (just don't drink it. lol
Tezza.

Burley_Boy
30-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Nice chap who sold me my V17L also supplied a simple flushing kit, it was the exact copy of what you just showed except for the fact that he had installed a bilge pump where you attach the hose, I dump the lot into a plastic container and run the bilge pump thus using a lot less water (about 20L I think) and as an added bonus the water temp as it recirculates gets up to the point where I believe it does a better job of flushing.

Another tip though more usueful in summer than winter is my homemade downrigger, EA Falcon wiper motor $37 (is a worm drive) attach a pulley and a couple of switches and you have a downrigger for well under $100 bucks including the wire ( I use plastic coated 80lb leader though I lost one bomb when I goofed...). Pulls a decent lead and does not slip. Fit an electronic cutout and you've got yourself a unit to rival units costing many thousands of dollars. Piece of cake.
I painted a mark every 10m to know depth but if I feel inspired might make an electronic depth counter or find a mechanical one.

castlemaine
31-07-2007, 04:41 PM
One I learn't from my dad ... use a rope attached to the stern to keep the boat straight when retrieving it by yourself in windy conditions.
cheers
Castlemaine

Davo88
31-07-2007, 08:46 PM
This ones probably obvious but ... If you have a carpeted floor, stick the rough side of a strip of velcro on the bottom of eskies, tackle boxes and the like ..... to stop them from sliding around

Cheers
Petra

Bloody brilliant Petra, not obvious at all, I have been thinking up all sorts of contraptions to keep the esky and tacklebox sliding about in the boat while under tow, and here it is simple and cheap:) .

Would also work in the back of the wagon.:thumbup:

Cheers
Dave

Sea-Dog
24-08-2007, 09:33 PM
If you get spiked by a fish and feel the need for some heat - I have discovered an instant form of heat.

Reject Shop is currently selling instant Hot packs and instant Cold packs.

$2 per box of 2.

I tried the hot pack the other day. Just give the sealed bag a good squeeze to burst the inner packages and the pack gets HOT in only a few seconds (3 or 4)

I reckon a great idea to keep under the bunks or wherever you store your seldom used stuff.

They get hot enough to not be able to comfortably keep the pack on bare skin for long. That should knock the poison proteins around a bit.

Might even be able to use the cold pack for an emergency drink chiller. ;D

Poodroo
24-08-2007, 10:32 PM
If you get spiked by a fish and feel the need for some heat - I have discovered an instant form of heat.

$2 per box of 2.

I tried the hot pack the other day. Just give the sealed bag a good squeeze to burst the inner packages and the pack gets HOT in only a few seconds (3 or 4)

I reckon a great idea to keep under the bunks or wherever you store your seldom used stuff.

They get hot enough to not be able to comfortably keep the pack on bare skin for long. That should knock the poison proteins around a bit.

Top idea Sea-Dog. Thanks for sharing. :)

Poodroo

Scalem
25-08-2007, 08:21 AM

$2 per box of 2.

Up North they should make this part of the survival pack along with oars, drinking water, V sheet and lifejackets. There's a lot more nasty stingers in SE qld and North from Brisbane. I wonder what would happen if you threw a pack at a croc??;D ;D

Only trouble is we have a little drive to our nearest store, but will remember to call in next time I am down the goldy.

http://www.rejectshop.com.au/locations.asp?area=qldr

Scalem

Chris Ryan
25-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Hey Scalem,

Aren't they one of our clients from work?? Maybe should see if we get supplier discount :p

Yeah right - like we would. LOL

Puff

Sea-Dog
25-08-2007, 09:29 AM
<snip> I wonder what would happen if you threw a pack at a croc??;D ;D <snip>

Scalem

I reckon you'd give him a bit of a belly-ache if he swallowed it.

Maybe if you covered yourself in these, you'd be too hot to eat - he'd have to wait until you cooled down.

Can crocs blow air onto their food to cool it down? :-/

Nah, they don't have lips.

Nowhere Bob
25-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Maybe you are onto something.
As I remember [from Malcom Douglas videos] They can run fast but only for relatively short distances, because they over heat. They then have to get into the water and cool off.
So snap the vial, shake like hell, stick inside a handy dead chicken & throw to croc.
Croc eats chook, over heats from inside, and goes has a little rest to cool off.

From now on always carry a dead chook & one of these packs and your safe from any lurking lizard.;D

woppa
25-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I learnt this as a youngster

Tip 1 - When you bring a squid or cuttlefish onboard, don't hold it wondering if it will squirt ink......

Tip 2 - If you do have to ponder about it, don't have it aimed at your father.....

ozbee
26-08-2007, 07:39 AM
don't back the boat under the house with rods still in there holders advantage all become same length ouch oh so very ouch it still hurts two years on and the bloody mrs found out tarred for life

Nowhere Bob
27-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Thats exactly the kind of thing I'd do.
I call it stupid tax.
I was stupid now I pay.
'EG: putting battery into hilux wrong way... Stupid tax - 2 fuseable links & 1 stereo.
Bloke across the road is a plasterer, One afternoon he drove into his garage, with the wheelbarrow still on the roof racks.... Stupid tax.

ashh
29-08-2007, 06:27 PM
looking through my boat tool box today and thought this was worth a mention. Few different brands on the market but this is what I have.
Glass boat owners will find this handy.
Its basically a premixed resin and fibreglass goop, consistency of toothpast I guess (not runny and wont dribble everywhere) It dries clear and fully cures within 5 minutes in direct sunlight.
Commonly used for quick fix to cracks and dings in surfboards.
I've used it in the past on my boards, and to temporarily re-attach guides to rods whilst out on the water. Cheap and handy to have onboard any boat.:)

turtleshead
29-08-2007, 10:27 PM
The cable for my sounder was siliconed in place
down the transom . Bought a new sounder and
instead of clipping transducer wire in place , just fed
zip ties through the silicone . no Holes.

Joe Whittle
30-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi Whaleoil,

I am very interested in your checker plate idea. I have a 6meter centre console quintrex and the ply flooring is almost gone. Can we answer some questions for me?

1. What weight did it add to the boat
2. Is 3mm thick enough
3. What was the cost and who was the supplier
4. Did you lay anything such as matting over the top
5. It is only early in the spring but how is the heat
6. Was it hard to cut to size and lay

Cheers

Joe

Steve B
30-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Ever had trouble lifting big barra or any big fish into you boat with landing net or lip grips, whilst trying not to skull drag the fish or break you landing net and/or back!!!

If there is two of you in the boat. One person lean over the edge and get a good hold on the fish. one hand on grips other under the gut of the fish. Then get you mate to grab you by the shoulders or shirt and pull you backwards whilst you hold the fish. SIMPLE AND EASY. The bloke holding the fish doesn't have to do any lifting whilst in an awquard position. same principle with the landing net (one hand on the net and one under the fishes guts).

Just something I learnt once.

PS: If your going to do this....do it quickly. If any other boats see you in this position...It would look abit gay!;D :P

Sea-Dog
31-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Ever had trouble lifting big barra or any big fish into you boat with landing net or lip grips, whilst trying not to skull drag the fish or break you landing net and/or back!!!

If there is two of you in the boat. One person lean over the edge and get a good hold on the fish. one hand on grips other under the gut of the fish. Then get you mate to grab you by the shoulders or shirt and pull you backwards whilst you hold the fish. SIMPLE AND EASY. The bloke holding the fish doesn't have to do any lifting whilst in an awquard position. same principle with the landing net (one hand on the net and one under the fishes guts).

Just something I learnt once.

PS: If your going to do this....do it quickly. If any other boats see you in this position...It would look abit gay!;D :P

Or you could get the missus/girlfriend to reach over for the fish......

"Sorry darls, I'm "REALLY" trying to get you back up. Just keep holding on..."
(Make sure you leave the gaff at home ;D)

Davemclean
01-09-2007, 03:04 AM
I reckon you'd give him a bit of a belly-ache if he swallowed it.

Maybe if you covered yourself in these, you'd be too hot to eat - he'd have to wait until you cooled down.

Can crocs blow air onto their food to cool it down? :-/

Nah, they don't have lips.

unless you have a croc with gourmet tastes, lol, cooked meal

but in theory, if it is a cool day, the sudden heat should give it a shock, lol

patrol50
22-11-2008, 06:03 PM
what a brillaint simple idea putting velcro rough to the bottom of esky / tackle bag etc hank you petra
add my bit which is a simple check list before heading out or leaving the ramp basically as follows
CHECK LIST - (depart & return)

1. – Boat keys
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. – 2 x Bungs are in

3. - Trailer brake off

4. - Jockey wheel up

5. - Front clears window is rolled up

6. – Boat Tie downs fixed in place

7. - All gear stowed so wont blow out of boat on the road

8. – Ladder up

9. - OB up and supported
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. - Tie rope onto bow of boat when launching
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Take rods out of rocket holders before backing boat into shed

patrol50
22-11-2008, 06:08 PM
hey -what a brillaint simple idea putting velcro rough to the bottom of esky / tackle bag etc - thank you petra
to add my bit which is just a simple check list before leaving home or leaving the ramp basically as follows
CHECK LIST - (depart & return)

1. – Boat keys

2. – 2 x Bungs are in

3. - Trailer brake off

4. - Jockey wheel up

5. - Front clears window is rolled up

6. – Boat Tie downs fixed in place

7. - All gear stowed so wont blow out of boat on the road

8. – Ladder up

9. - OB up and supported
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. - Tie rope onto bow of boat when launching
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 - Take rods out of rocket launcher holders befor going home

robersl
22-11-2008, 07:31 PM
tie a rope to the upright on the trailer that holds the winch wrap the rope around the winch bar that the handle is connected i think you go under and over the bar do this four or five (must get it the right way or will not work) times give your self some slack and tie the end off to the upright you can then leave the cable on the boat push the boat off the trailer and tug on the rope to slow the boat up while it is coming off the the trailer saves the boat coming off at a rate off knots and you control the speed will try and post a photo later

shane

Chimo
22-11-2008, 08:35 PM
The way I control the speed the Vag disappears off the multirollers on the trailer.

You can stop it any time with one hand to release the winch hook and I let the boat pull the cable out from the powerwinch so its at the end of the trailer ready to hook up for retrieving.

Cheers
Chimo