PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel in boats

Grunter71
25-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Following on from a recent thread about the problems of using ethanol in petrol for marine use, does anyone know if there is any similar risk with using biodiesel in boats(for boats with diesel engines, of course)?

What about biodiesel made from old fish & chip shop oil etc?

themissus
25-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Not sure about what it would do to the motor.:-/ But I do know the rats love to eat the hoses/lines etc. I know someone who uses it in his tractor and is forever replacing bits the rats have chewed.:)
Cheers Kim.:)

Blackened
25-05-2007, 02:14 PM
G'day

I do not believe there will be a problem, freedom fuels now run "elite diesel" which is a 80% diesel and 20% biodiesel mix. Its very good, much much cleaner aswell.

Best of calling a marine diesel mechanic and get a few opinions.

Dave

leezor
25-05-2007, 05:05 PM
The ultimate bio diesel boat.

http://www.greatsoutheast.com.au/gsec2cqw/story.asp?weekID=238&storyID=1145

Dan5
25-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Just finished working on the new bio diesel plant in darwin .The raw product that they are going to use in that plant is palm seed oil its grown in indonesia i think.The plant there is going to blend it at about 10/15% apparently much more than that can make the engines run a little hotter.I think that the stuff that is made out of used cooking oil is enviro diesel i have heard comments on this fuel used in trucks down south the consistancy can be almost like honey to the point where they couldnt get it out of the overhead tank and it blocked all the fuel filters.It will be interesting to see how the bio go"s a bit further down the track.

chainsaw
26-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I ran a tank full of BioDiesel in my Landcruiser 100 series, didn't really notice any difference. But supplier was only giving about 1cent off normal diesel price.

predator
26-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Theres a bloke based at Sumner Park who is selling it for $1.00/litre. Pump price at the time was $129.90/litre.... Not a bad saving over 200lt's, at just under $60.00.
Couple of couriers pulled up and filled up while I was there and commented all was fine:undecided:. I dont own any diesel vehicles, so he was wasting his time...:P ..

chainsaw
26-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey Predator, thats a bit expensive.