PDA

View Full Version : Fuel insight

minno
24-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Now we all know that fuel as we know it, wont last for ever. So the Question is, is it posable to use gas in our outboard engines, and if so, can it be done? That is old and new engines. Two and four strokes. Plus, what are the dangers.

minno

Feral
25-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Yanks use "gas" all the time :)

Seriously there would be a few issues, but I reckon they could be worked through.
IE gas line fatigue, cylinder storage, corrosion, retesting of tanks if built in under floors etc.

Biggest problem would be storage of sufficient fuel, economy on gas is significantly lower than fuel (albeit half the price) which if you only had the same storage capacity would really knock a hole in your range. Particularly when you consider that due to the GSO your carrying 1/3 more fuel than you think your going to need.

joeT
25-05-2007, 08:03 AM
I think safety is a big factor, in a saltwater environment corrosion may cause issues with tanks etc, but could be doable.

Another issue is re-fueling, where/how would you refill our boat if stuck out on the water?

Davemclean
25-05-2007, 08:07 AM
would it be possible to replace tanks with plastic ones, similair to what they use on small aircraft?

BM
25-05-2007, 09:14 AM
It can be done and has been done some time back.

Modern engines would be quite easy to adapt as the direct injection 2 strokes already have an oil circulation system.

The older outboards are a bit harder unless they run the Yamaha type intake manifold oil injection rather than the injection system mixing the oil back into the fuel.

Many yachts carry LPG cylinders for their bbq's etc so I see no issue there. Underfloor tanks that are sealed in their cavity with an external breather for the cavity might be acceptable? Or it may be a case of outside the vessel. Not sure on that one.

I Had a link to a mob that have been doing it for a while:

http://www.lpgtechnologies.info/SERV05.HTM

But I just checked it and its not active now. It used to show an old Cruisecraft with a 140 Yammy and lpgtechnologies painted on the side and there was some tech info also. Gone now though...

Cheers

Noelm
25-05-2007, 09:14 AM
been done lots of times on inboard motors, and it IS possible to use it on some 2 strokes like all the "fuel injected" types and 4 strokes as well , it could be done on an old carby motor, but poses a few more problems for what is gained, tanks could and have been built to a very high safety standard, and this is no real problem area either, one big drawback is a modern outboard already costs "an arm and a leg" and would anyone pay an additional (say) 2 grand on top?? it will take a long time fishing to get back the added cost, plus of course the cost of cutting out your old petrol tank and installing a properly vented LPG tank.

snelly1971
25-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Fu$k the gas...I dont like it ...and dont trust it one little bit....I would rather be burnt by petrol than blown to smither reens.....

Cheers Mick

Deiter
25-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Fu$k the gas...I dont like it ...and dont trust it one little bit....I would rather be burnt by petrol than blown to smither reens.....

Cheers Mick

Is that speaking from experience Mick? Maybe it was just due to a Tasmanian mechanic?????;) You know the old problem, one head thought the other one had tightened the fittings.
:D :D

Back to the subject, there was a topic on this very recently with some good responses, i'll see if i can dig it up again for those who are interested

Damo

Deiter
25-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Found it. There's probably quite a bit of info if you do a search

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=107533 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=107533&highlight=outboards)