PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tyre

Mercury16
23-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone,
Just have a little problem,
my tyre size on my boat trailer is 8" its the ones with the single nut.
Anyway when i went to check my spare the other day i relized it still had an old rusted cone in it. and well over time this rust has kind of fused it onto the wheel and i cant seem to get it out. usually a flathead screw driver and a few taps of a mallet gets em out but this one wont budge.:o
anyone got any suggestions as how i can get it out?

all would be appreciated
cheers Peter;)

blaze
24-05-2007, 07:10 AM
run a weld around the inside of the cup, one hot bead right around. As the weld cools it shrinks the cup and most times they just fall out.
cheers
blaze

supertinny
24-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Maybe soak in bolt off or penertene for a while?

WHALEOIL
24-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Blaze is right. We weld the cones out in large machinery as well.

Achjimmy
24-05-2007, 10:36 AM
run a weld around the inside of the cup, one hot bead right around. As the weld cools it shrinks the cup and most times they just fall out.
cheers
blaze

Do this it works well. Is the bearing housing alloy? If so the splatter will not stick to it and it is by far the best way to remove interfrence fit parts as it does not stress the housing. If the bearing housing is steel/cast just cover any machined surfaces with something(splatter spray, cooking spray) to stop the splatter sticking. Good luck.

Scalem
24-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Mercury 16

Can you post up a photo of the wheel you are having trouble with?

Scalem

Feral
25-05-2007, 06:33 AM
That "welding" is a very clever idea!

Mercury16
25-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Hey scalem,
im pretty sure the pics are attached they might not be as i had some problems.
sorry that they are a bit sketchy.

cheers Peter

Dirtysanchez
25-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Welding....what a clever boy !!! ;D

A mate was only whinging to me about this the other day.. looks like I'll br breaking out the burner on the weekend

Russ

Scalem
25-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey scalem,
im pretty sure the pics are attached they might not be as i had some problems.
sorry that they are a bit sketchy.

cheers Peter

Sorry to get you doing unnecessary work, but I have had a wheel very similar to the description sitting in the shed for years - but it's different size. I measured right across and it's about 10.5" and it's the rim and hub all in one.

I would have donated it to you, as it is still in good condition. Never mind!!

Scalem

Mercury16
25-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Thanks anyway
it was a generous offer
cheers Peter

dnej
25-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Blaze,so in the pic,you are talking about the bearing cup, which is steel.Yes?
David

blaze
25-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi david
yes, you just run a single hot bead around the middle of the cup (steel bit). when it cools down it will most likely just fall out. I take 90% of my wheel bearing cups out like this as it saves belting them out with a hammer and drift (using a greasy shafted hammer one day and slipped and broke my wrist with the blow, always look for the easy way)
cheers
blaze
ps
make sure you can see the cup and dont weld the hub by accident. Low hydrogen rods are best but any will do

Scalem
26-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi david
yes, you just run a single hot bead around the middle of the cup (steel bit). when it cools down it will most likely just fall out. I take 90% of my wheel bearing cups out like this as it saves belting them out with a hammer and drift (using a greasy shafted hammer one day and slipped and broke my wrist with the blow, always look for the easy way)
cheers
blaze
ps
make sure you can see the cup and dont weld the hub by accident. Low hydrogen rods are best but any will do

You would almost have to use a torch or put the wheel in full sunlight to be able to see the cup down there wouldn't you Blaze? I'm hopeless with a welder, I have had little experience but I guess the last time I used the goggles they were too dark and I couldn't see a thing!!::)

Scalem

Scalem
26-05-2007, 07:52 AM
My take on the whole thing.... You might consider changing the whole lot over to standard Holden hubs and wheels which you might think is a lot of extra expense, but it isn't really.

While on my maiden voyage with my boat when I bought it second hand from a friend, my wife said " did we get a spare tyre with this?" Not 10 mins after she asked me this question, I heard what sounded like a gun shot and then the trailer started behaving differently. The next 3 hours was what my wife describes as the most stressful event of her life EVER as she went from tyre shop to tyre shop trying to find someone who had one of these non standard tyres in stock, while I was snoozing in the boat on the side of the Gold coast highway.::)

I vowed never again! If I had trouble on the way out to Maroon or Sommerset Dam, you want to be able to call in to any good natured farmer willing to lend you one of his holden rims off the old ute in order to get you home, but I guess that's why you carry a spare, right?;) I think I paid $20.00 for two hubs from the wreckers, and about $15.00 each for the 13" holden wheels with tyres on them!! Compared to $90.00 my wife paid for one non standard boat tyre!!

Worth thinking about?

Scalem