PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic steering not working properly?

freddofrog
23-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi all

How do I check if this is working properly?

The boat mechanic said it was ok but it still seems not right. Turning to starboard is easy but port is a lot harder (or was this the otherway round, can't remember :-[ ). This is the case both in and out of the water. It's a single ram set up turning two 90hp 2st motors on a 5.2kevlacat.

Just wondering cause I went out on another (single motor) boat on the weekend and the steering was effortless in both directions.

Ta
ff

Noelm
23-05-2007, 11:53 AM
hhhmmm seems like maybe the steering is (perhaps) not up to the job of steering two non counter rotating props, but it SHOULD be, there is a lot of those around and never heard of problems (or experienced it myself)

Noelm
23-05-2007, 11:56 AM
OH I forgot to ask, is the boat new to you?? was it OK before, if yes to the first one of these questions try to contact previous owner to ask his thoughts. IF yes to the second one, then something must have "happened" to cause the problem.

Spaniard_King
23-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Fredo,

Is the ram on the engine a balanced ram or unbalanced ie does the cylinder have a rod out each side or just 1 side??

Garry

fishingrod
23-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Id assume that you have disconnected the steering arm to make sure the engines (on their own) turn side to side freely. (a obvious but simple question)

If its only difficult while underway the other thing it might be the trim tab (fins) above the props might need adjusting. It could be badly pulling to one side making it hard to pull back to the other direction when underway. Hydraulic steering is normally pretty "powerful" and would overcome this, but if its pulling badly it might be struggling especially with twin motors ?

Rod

FNQCairns
23-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Mine is not working properly either because I connected the hoses around the wrong way even after checking twice then just assumed it was good, bit of a worry if this is what getting older is all about!:)

From your replies above you should be able to nail it, effort either way to my undestanding should always be identical out of the water, if it changes in the water at speed, trim is the problem.
Time to undo a couple of bolts. You mechanic must have it wrong? what system is it?

cheers fnq

freddofrog
23-05-2007, 05:04 PM
It's a new boat for me. Just spoke to the previous owner and he doesn't recall ever having a issue. (though he only used it for 11 hours in the last 2-3years so I doubt he can actually remember anyway).

Can't actually remember if it's got one rod or two sticking out or what system it is. I will have to check when I get back home later this week.

As it's also difficult to turn while just sitting on the trailer, it doesn't sound like the trim tabs. And no I haven't disconnected the steering arm. Will try that also when I get home.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, if you have any other ideas please let me know.

ta
ff

fishingrod
23-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi again.
Disconnecting the steering arm is a very basic test and doesnt cost anything. Thats why i suggested it. You have to start somewhere.

A 23' SharkCat i used to run had a bent ram. Only a very very minor bend, but enough to make it difficult in one direction. Sometimes it would go to full lock in one direction and then have trouble "releasing" from full lock to go the other way.

This boat had twin 175hp non counter rot O/B's. It had a balanced hydraulic rams on each motor and one of those combo spitter/adjustment valves to align the engines.

Good luck !
Rod