PDA

View Full Version : Cost of painting boat

seaeagle
23-05-2007, 10:12 AM
I am after an approximate cost on repainting a fibreglass 4.5 Haines Hunter. Has anyone done this recently as i have heard it can cost up to 3000-4000. The hull is yellow in reasonable condition.

Noelm
23-05-2007, 10:23 AM
geeesss that is a hard job to estimate a repainting job, it can vary by thousands!! depending on preparation needed, type of paint, how much stuff needs to be removed and/or replaced, can the boat be taken off the trailer and maybe tipped upside down, lots of stuff will "come into play"

pilchardjones
23-05-2007, 11:13 AM
i recently had a 445 haines painted (by a professional in a booth) for about $2500 i think. i did most of the prep work myself (sanding and fairing). they finished it off.
steve

eimeo
23-05-2007, 01:16 PM
the dearest part of respraying is the time spent on preparation.
I too have a haines 445f and will be respraying it down the track
I expect to get out of it for less than a grand.
Do the prep work yourself and you will save heaps.Undoubtedly they will still have some final bits to do remember prep is everything
Secondly , i would buy the paints myself and get a spray painter to paint it.you dont need a fiberglasser to do it an auto spraypainter will do.
If you pay him $40ph i dont think its going to cost you heaps more than $1000
all up.Lets face it -not a lot of paint needed and a 4.5 doesnt take that long to spray

cheers
dave
p.s
I hope i'm right

Dirtysanchez
23-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Do some research on it - I am doing some, International (Yacht paint) have an info CD which is interesting, they show a bloke doing a pretty good job with a roller and brush, its in the method of how you do it.

I have found their paints are way too dear, Hempel make a decent range of paint and you can buy it all from Bunnings

Good luck

BM
23-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Dismantling a boat is a 2 person job since things are nut and bolted. Reassembly the same.. So if you do that yourself you reduce your costs.

Prepwork is paramount.

The paint is not cheap. About $65 per litre for dark 2 pack colours, plus hardener plus reducer. White 2K can be purchased in 7ltr kits for around $140.

If you are having 2 colours then you are looking at triple masking, more time.

You also need the boat on its side to first paint the underside (difficult in a booth), then it needs to dry for a day or so and then put back on the trailer or rolling frame so you can paint the rest of it.

Its not as easy as painting a car.....

The biggest I have painted so far is a 19ft Savage Surveyor cabin cruiser. Big job.

shubeej
23-05-2007, 07:31 PM
hi seaeagle,dont know where abouts u r but there is a couple of guys who run a shop along cnr wynumn rd & junction road morningside they seem to have a lot of boats in there yard that they are painting ,from a distance they look like they do a pretty good job .might be worth a visit.pretty helpfull with info as well
cheers shubeej

Grand_Marlin
23-05-2007, 08:51 PM
It all comes down to what finish you want, and more precisely, the more you spend the better the finish will be.
As stated, preparation is everything, but so is the quality of paint used.

Most people seem to want to know how cheap it can be done, as compared to what quality can be achieved.

But in saying that ... most people still want a million dollar finish for next to $0

If you want a professional finish, be prepared to part with 5 grand.

The same old story - you get what you pay for.

Cheers

Pete

seaeagle
24-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the comments, I guess preperation will go a long way to the final finish. Finding space & help to flip the hull & remove the motor would be the main challange i think

vermin
24-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Had a guy from the boat yard come out to the shed and spray Jotun Penguard / Imperite ... 2 pack on a 5m hull.

Cost me about $250 all up!!! That doesn't include the gazillion hours of prep work I done though.

Results were spectacular.

Chris Ryan
25-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi Seaeagle,

I resprayed my boat with 2-pack last christmas. Besides time (and it IS a 2 person job) it cost me around $2000 - but I used Altex paints (more $$) and refit a lot of the fastners and holders etc when putting it back together. Here is a link to my post when I had done it. All in all a great experience to do. Might do another one as a "project" sometime.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=65512

Cheers,
Chris

DR
25-05-2007, 02:11 PM
BPD, link is no good without pics :P being on the old board they do not show up. can you put them up again please..

Chris Ryan
28-05-2007, 12:59 PM
BPD, link is no good without pics :P being on the old board they do not show up. can you put them up again please..

I'll have to get them again. Try for tonight as I am putting a clients website together then and will need a sanity break :o

Chris Ryan
28-05-2007, 07:35 PM
here's the pics.