PDA

View Full Version : Papuan Black Bass

Kiungaman
22-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I am about to relocate back to Australia after living and fishing in Papua New Guinea for the past 18 years. The main thing I will miss is about this place is fishing for the Papuan Black Bass. Is there any chance, or, has anybody looked into the possibility of introducing the Papuan Black Bass into impoundments in North Queensland. They are related to the Mangrove Jack, and even look like an oversized Jack. They are a fantastic sport fish, and for those of you who have never hooked one, you have no idea what you are missing out on.

Vegewill

bdowdy
22-05-2007, 02:55 PM
woudnt that be awesomeif we could get some black and spot tailed into aussie........( DREAMING). cheers bdowdy

juju
22-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Seen them on TV...up in little creeks smashing 80 lb gear.......massive tough fish....reckon that they would be better than barra...

Kiungaman
23-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Getting a hit from a big bass is like hooking onto the engine of an express train as it speeds through the station. I run 27 kg mono, and get done more times than i get the fish into the dinghy. They are an awesome fish to catch, and I would love to see them in Australia. The biggest I have caught was 22 kg, but a mate of mine up here caught a 35 kg specimen about 10 years ago. I caught an 18 kg beastie 870 klms up the Fly river here a few years ago. It is such a buzz to catch a fish that big, so far up a river in the middle of the jungle. They may not give you the aeronautical display that barra do, but the blisters you can show off to your mates for weeks.

Vegewill

bdowdy
23-05-2007, 11:13 AM
got any picys of these fish. cheers bdowdy

TIMMY 666
23-05-2007, 07:01 PM
There's a reason they aren't stocked: they're an exotic fish! Foreign fish shouldn't be stocked regardless of their angling qualities, the last thing we need is another exotic fish wreaking havoc in our waterways. Sorry to be negative but thats just my opinion. ;) They seem like an incredible fish, have you got any pics of bass you've caught?

Cheers,

Tim.

Jim_Tait
23-05-2007, 07:55 PM
There is no need to bring PNG Black bass in for stocking purposes (much as I love them too) if we can get mangrove Jack stocking sorted. Jacks can grow to a metre off shore but if stocked in non-overflowing impoundments i.e. Awonga (plus others) - they wont be going anywhere - just getting fat on herring schools - per weight I rekon jacks fight just as hard if not harder than Black bass anyway - its just that you dont usually catch 30 lbers out of snag filled creeks ! - Jim

Jim_Tait
23-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Heres a 32 lber I pulled out of a snag filled tie channel in the Fly River on 15 lb mono - I never used any heavier gear and we got them up to 45 lb on that gear! - Jim

bdowdy
24-05-2007, 03:13 PM
nice fish jim

Kiungaman
26-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Here are a couple of photos of some bass. I lost most of my photos in December 2006 when my h/d crashed, silly me, no back-up, but have it now. I have a copy of my mates, Glyn Short, 22 kg beastie, but I just have to find it. I hope to catch heaps on my way down the Fly heading towards Oz in the next couple of weeks, so I will post some more pix when I hit Cairns.

Jim,
Long time no see. I was up in Tabubil in the early 90's when you were there. Glyn and I are still here in Kiunga, but not for much longer. I am heading back to Oz in the next couple of weeks. 18 years here, so time to move on.

CHEERS
Graham

Jim_Tait
31-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Graham,

G'day - 18 yrs is a pretty good PNG innings mate - you'll will miss it!, it gets in your blood that country (other stuff besides the malaria!) - which part of Oz you moving back to, Cairns? NQ can still turn on good fishing for ya!

Regards - Jim

Kiungaman
31-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Jim,
Yes I will miss a few things from up here, but most of all the fishing. I have the old OTML boat the " ARCHIMEDES ", and we are going to cruise down the Fly, fishing all the way, across to TI, then down into the gulf as far as the Holyroyd river. Then do an about turn, up around the cape, and down to Cairns. I will have to teach the missus how to steer, as I will be doing fishing all the way.

Graham

Jim_Tait
31-05-2007, 10:37 PM
The Archimedes? - God I've had a few seminal adventures on that boat!! As you know it used to be the biology boat and I have done a few tours of duty up and down the Fly on her - in fact the picture of me with the bass in the thread above are on a dingy which was tendered to the Archimedes - I always wanted to own her - it was a great cruiser - are you looking for crew??

Best regards - Jim