PDA

View Full Version : prop cavitation

boodo
21-05-2007, 06:07 PM
just got a new boat with a 90 etec, and whilst i am stoked with the package when cornering even slightly the prop seems to cavitate can anyone tell me have the put the wrong prop on or is it somthing else.

thanks boodo

Spaniard_King
21-05-2007, 06:19 PM
could be somethin else!

Garry

BM
21-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Boodo,

Is your boat alloy?

Its quite common that manufacturers set the cav plate level with the bottom of the hull (correct practice for a glass boat but incorrect for alloy).

The extruded keel on an alloy boat can act like a funnel and run turblent water along the length of the keel and introduce that turbulence to the prop stream.

I set the cav plate on alloy boats to level with the bottom of the hull and that solves the cavitation/ventilation in turns issue.

Cheers

Chimo
21-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi Boodoo

BM do you mean bottom / base of the extruded keel?

Don't we also need to find out if the motor is trimmed in out or in the middle of its range to get a bit more of an idea?

Chimo

blaze
21-05-2007, 08:46 PM
my first thoughts were trim it in a bit, where I run my trim if I do a semi sharp turn I cav every time, to fix it I just need to trim in a bit. But basicly my boat is a fishing boat and generally goes in a straight line to spot x (or a ) or is trolling.
cheers
blaze

BM
21-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Yep, bottom of extrusion Chimo.

Have rectified quite a few alloy boats that were cavitating in that way.

cheers