PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance, Who has the best deal?

Blackened
21-05-2007, 03:43 PM
G'day

Looking for new insurance for the tinny, who has the best deal? We were with RACQ but was told by a lady at the office that they do NOT cover fishing gear....... so they have lost my business.

Who believes they have the best policy for their intended use?

Dave

Marlin_Mike
21-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I was with Club Marine, then changed to CGU through the credit union, saved $100 a year on the premium, still had the same things in the policy as club marine. IMHO you gotta shop around, there are big differences between the companies price and policy wise

Mike

snelly1971
21-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I am with RACT (suncorp) little bit more expensive but i have had 1 large claim and I know that they pay up...I have heard some horrible stories about GIO..and Club Marine...but i suppose you would hear that about all ins Co...

Cheers Mick

Vic1
21-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Funny, I heard the same BAD stories about Suncorp.........

I think you can safely say they are ALL crooks who will do a runner with your money given the slightest chance.

You can limit your exposure by driving carefully, making sure essentials like trailer brakes actually work, vehciles are registered etc because if there is an accident these are the things that the assessors first look for.

Kleyny
21-05-2007, 07:16 PM
G'day

Looking for new insurance for the tinny, who has the best deal? We were with RACQ but was told by a lady at the office that they do NOT cover fishing gear....... so they have lost my business.

Who believes they have the best policy for their intended use?

Dave

I'm also looking for a insurer. I'm heading towards RACQ
some household insurances cover for things like fishing gear even when your out on the water.

worth a look anyway

Mate was out in his speed boat and lost his camera over the side and got it replaced by his house insurance company.

neil

Big_unit
21-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Nautilus Marine gave me the best deal, they beat everyone for price, service, the terms & conditions really made great sense too.

Nautilus Marine Insurance Agency

1300 780 533

Cheers
James

longtail
21-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Dave , I'm happy with deal i got from suncorp . i also got the house and car insured with them too so got a reasonable discount for multiple policies.

just gotta shop around mate for what is best for you , little tip though always tell 'em you got a better quote from the opposition and most times they will match it.

Jason.

Chimo
21-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Dont forget that you should also be able to get another 10% off if you have data dotted your boat, motor, trailer and gear and equipment . For the cost of the Datadot stuff vs the cost of insurance its probably worth it just for the insurance discount. Club marine and Nautilus are two that will apparently give the discount. No good going on line you have to talk to a human to do it tho.

Cheers
Chimo

Aussie Spirit
21-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey Blackened,

Just moved up from Nth'n NSW back to Queensland and had to change the insurance for cars and boat. (5.2m Centre Console) and found ING gave me the best deal.
Hope this helps to sort out your insurance needs. Aussie Spirit

Blackened
22-05-2007, 10:49 AM
G'day

Much appreciated, i'll be having a look at all the suggested options, its one hell of a minefield isn't it

Dave

freddofrog
22-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I went with Trident Insurance (smaller speciallist marine insurer). I researched ALL the above mentioned ones and they had some "quirk" that I was not happy with, e.g.:
- some stated you must store your (trailered) boat on your property (ie not verge/street)
- must also be behind locked gates/wall
- your boat & trailer must be locked and a chain and padlock is not acceptable
- you need to lock boat to trailer (and the purpose of this would be??? - like anyone is going to steal you boat and leave the trailer or visa versa)
- won't cover fishing or diving gear (not without paying more in extras anyway)
- won't cover your boat while in transit (ie towing to & from ramp)
- one wouldn't even cover accidental sinking!
- another one even tried to classify my 5.2m kevlacat as a speed boat capable of doing over 60knots simply because it has 2x90hp motors because that is what their tables told them
Some of these may not be applicable to your situation but as always, read the fine print - you'll be glad you did.
Cya
ff

sjp2
22-05-2007, 04:33 PM
i also wonder is the boat insured for market value or agreed value,because the premium never goes down with the value of the boat after a few yrs(it happened with my car ,was paying the same $ for the policy when it was worth $30k and $6k:-[

snelly1971
22-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Mine is for agreed value....
Cheers Mick

withoutatrace
22-05-2007, 06:46 PM
i checked out all the insurers and went with Trident insurance.
The best no hassles cover by far.

WOAT

Nepenthe
29-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Yesiree I went with Trident too, only insurer who would cover my new engine in transit prior to fitting to the boat as well as the lowest premium and covered all the gear I wanted.

Cheers Gio