PDA

View Full Version : Se sports fin-hydofoil mounting

-spiro-
21-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I have got one of these and need instructions on mounting it to the motor. I have a mariner engine and the sports fin is a bit different in the cut out. Even a pic of yours if you got one. Top shot not rear.

Deiter
21-05-2007, 11:49 AM
G'day Spiro. I fitted one on my 90 v4 about a week ago. Mine didn't come with a template or instructions, as i got second hand - although it had never been installed (this is right isn't it Phill???)

I looked and wondered and pondered the best way to go about itfor a while, then i decided,'Bugger it" and just whacked the bloody thing on. its not rocket science.

I'd advise having a test fit - put it where it gonna go and just have a look and make sure it all looks right and is reasonably flush with the cav plate. It doesn't have to be perfectly flush, as the bolts will pull it down hard anyway.

The most imprtant thing in my mind is to make sure that your trim tab is adjusted properly before drilling, although even this is easy to change if you decide later that you want it a bit more left or right. Just drill the holes in the trim tab plate a bit bigger than the bolts and this will give you a bit more adjustment in the future.

If you still need pics i could get some up here for you.
Enjoy. Mine has made a noticable difference - a positive one.

Cheers,
Damo

Noelm
21-05-2007, 01:29 PM
never been a fan of all these "miracle" foils and stuff, my thoughts are, that if they made all that much difference, then the manufacturer of the engines would just make them like that, if your boat needs some sort of thing to make it perform as it SHOULD, then your boat or setup is not up to scratch (my thoughts only here folks)

Deiter
21-05-2007, 01:54 PM
I agree Noelm, but not all boats/setups are perfect (stating the obvious, i know), so if fitting a GOOD foil makes a rig perform better, then why not install one imo. Horses for courses, but you never know unless you try it.

I don't think anyone can argue that they help low-speed planing.

Blackened
21-05-2007, 03:40 PM
G'day

I have just fitted a permatrim to my little 9.9 merc. Didn't come with a template and no holes on the permatrim either.

Just sit it on top and make sure all is square and mark the holes carefully.... ma be a good idea to clamp to foil on initially when marking all the holes.

After that, just start drilling.

Its given my boat a much better ride and am very happy with it.

In regards to the whole why dont manufacturers make a bigger cav. plate argument...... the facts are, their engines are only ONE setup thats required to go onto a million diferent hull combinations.... and some of those combuinations may need extras such as a foil, or a prop or whatever to make the boat a better boat.

Dave

ozscott
21-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I had the SE on my 115 Yammy pre-tabs. You put it down over the top of the Cav plate nice and squate and slide it back towards the trasom until any further and she will start moving up the leg base (ie the curve on the yammy) and mark and drill.

Spaniard_King
21-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I have fitted heaps of these and the key is "NOT" to drill through the trim tab plate :P

Using a tungsten tip bur in a drill I releive the back of the foil so it fits snuggly around the rear of the leg ensuring when I drill the 4 mounting holes they are not through the trim tab but are placed evenly around the outside of the tab.

Doing this makes the trim tab still adjustable and if the gearbox has a mounting bolt/nut under the tab it can be easily accessed for when the gearbox has to removed

cheers

Garry

ozscott
21-05-2007, 08:07 PM
good point Garry - I had to watch for that on mine!!