PDA

View Full Version : Signature 702L + Suzuki 250hp

rat_catcher
20-05-2007, 08:58 PM
I have done some searches, but can't find much information on these boats. Anybody care to comment on what they think of a Haines Signature 702L with a Suzuki 250hp four stroke?

The boat will be used in Keppel Bay running out to the shoals which are around 45NM, the Capricorn Bunker Group at about 50NM and up to flat and perforated at about 30NM.

Will be used for trolling and bottom bashing as well as family weekends around the islands.

Also any thoughts on the 702L vs the 702SB? I know the 702SB has the raised bridgedeck with a queen sized berth underneath, but how practical is this?

Any other comments?

Roughasguts
20-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi Rat, Me brother has a 702L with a 5 litre Mercury MPI in her, Loves it.

Think it be cheaper to replace a 5 litre Merc than repair a 250 HP Suzuki.
Something to consider with a boat that size.

True Grit
21-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Rat catcher

there is a very good report available at sea media in the "sea libary"cost 5$ to down load also you could try boatpoint they have some quality reports also.

go the suzuki ;D

http://www.seamedia.com.au/sea_library/boats.php

Brumby
21-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Rat Catcher, I 'd happily go the 702 SB, but then I'm more of a cruiser than a fisherman. I think you may find the rear cockpit a bit small for fishing specially if you go with the Mercruiser. Thats less of an issue with the 702L.

For me the extra bunk and the bench seat next to the driver would make it ideal for carting family and friends around, not to mention the occasional overnighter.

As far as the Suzi goes - well I'm saving for one!

GameOn
21-05-2007, 05:18 PM
theres one with a 250 suzuki for sale on boatpoint

finding_time
22-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Rat _catcher

Smithy is fishing the Fraser Comp atm but if you bump this thread in a week he should give you 1 of his very good run downs on the boat as he has spent alot of time in one with a 225 yami 4 stroke on the back ( part owner for a while i think)

Ian

Has fished the ribbon reefs off Cairns in it.

rat_catcher
22-05-2007, 08:30 PM
there is a very good report available at sea media in the "sea libary"cost 5$ to down load.........

Yes I am an F&B subscriber so have read this report before. From memory though it was more of a writeup on the 250hp Suzuki rather than specifically on the 702L.

rat_catcher
22-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Smithy is fishing the Fraser Comp atm but if you bump this thread in a week he should give you 1 of his very good run downs on the boat as he has spent alot of time in one with a 225 yami 4 stroke on the back ( part owner for a while i think)

Ah that explains it! I have been emailing Smithy on another topic about repowering and he hasn't replied to my latest email. Now I know why! Anyway yes he did mention that he is a part owner in a 702WA which has been repowered with a 225hp 4-stroke Yamaha.

Hopefully he is catching some fish now, but will reply when he gets back.

boatboy50
22-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey All,

My favourite of all these would have to be the 702SB. The 702 hull is a fantastic one IMHO, soft riding, reasonably dry and stable. It planes down to a very low speed.

In the engine choice I would recommend the Zuk option over the thirsty, noisy Mercruiser. Fuel consumption would be far superior, as would your range and performance.

Regards

Darren