what are your thoughts

russ81
19-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Hows it going mate
ALL OF THE ABOVE
Russ

peterbo3
19-05-2007, 10:17 PM
All of them & more. It will never be cheaper than when you get it built.
#8 seems important though.
If you are are looking at a custom alloy boat, get everything through the builder. If there is a problem, then you only have to deal with one person. He built it, he fitted the motor, electronics,wiring & set up the trailer. A good builder will have more ideas about what you need/want & what works than you will ever imagine.

Deiter
19-05-2007, 10:27 PM
another thought, decide on your sounder and gps so they can be installed during the factory fitout. easier to run cables when its all going in than as an afterthought. Also, some builders will make sure that the transducer bracket fitted to the stern is in the optimum position for pickup and mounting for your particular sounder, and can make sure that the holes or protective pipe on the transom will make it all look and function as neat as possible. Gps and radio aerial mounts are also a quick add on while the hot work is being done. It all gets painted with the original hull too, so it looks like it is supposed to be there.

Also, i think if you leave any of those 8 things off the list, you will always wish you hadn't. As has been said, easier to do in the first place than anywhere after.

I envy your dilemma.

Damo

Luc
20-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Research and do your homework so you get what you want.

Don't include options just because they're the in thins to have.

#4 definitely.

#8, don't scrimp. it's very important to the safety & enjoyment of your boat.

Luc

PinHead
20-05-2007, 05:48 AM
it depends on where you will be fishing and what size boat you are looking at buying.

Greg P
20-05-2007, 05:58 AM
A lot of "features" are worthless if they are of no benefit to the way you fish and use your boat.

You need to decide what your explicit needs are - no one else.

bushbeachboy
20-05-2007, 10:59 AM
As stated above, you need to determine your intended usage and possible future usages for the boat. All the things you get need to be suited to you and your intended use.

If you are getting a self-draining deck, make sure it is a true self-drainer. That is, make sure it is self draining when the boat is at rest, with the scuppers well above the waterline. Some so-called self drainers only actually drain while the boat is underway, and some even let water back into the boat when at rest unless you close the scuppers.

Check the type of floatation ie: is it 'level and upright'?

If you are intending to use the boat in fishing comps, you might consider casting decks, live fish wells etc. If offshore you might consider the driving position ie can you stand and drive comfortably for a long time if necessary etc etc.

The main thing will be to do your homework thoroughly. And when you get it you'll undoubtedly think of something else. Hehe.
Cheers mate

predator
20-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Definatly a deckwash to to keep it clean as you go...saves less cleaning time at home.

kingtin
20-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Think hard about the kill and livey tank and their positioning and what's likely to go in it. Kill tanks, unless custom, are ok for reefies and the like but will they take a big cobe or mackerel? If you prefer a big esky that can double as a seat, will it sit over your kill and live tank and make them useless?

I prefer to use my kill tank as a livie tank, 'cause it's bigger and 'cause shovellies won't fit in it ;D

kev

juju
20-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Bait Board....with rod holders...
Clears can be nice on a cold morning/nite or in the odd shower..

Lovey80
20-05-2007, 06:50 PM
It's always a toss up between 2 and 4 stroke engine. If you need/want the extra horse power but there is a weight restriction on the motor there's what you need to weight up. The boat i want can have either a 60 4s or a 90 2s. i want a 4s engine but have that compromise to make.

Deck wash....... never had one on a boat of mine. Is it simply a bilge pump on the outside of the boat fitted to a useable hose any help?????

Cheers Chris

Coontakinta
20-05-2007, 08:40 PM
1. live bait tank
Do u think U'll need it? Do have intensions to fish live baits now or in the future?
2. kill tank
Yes, especially if its of a usefull size. No point having a kill tank the size of a small esky if your targeting large snapper. It needs to be compatible to the size / type of fish u are likely to target.
3. upgrade to 5mm hull
Why? Will it enable you to run more horsepower. Provide a better ride, more stability? Apart from the additional strength, is it REALLY neccessary and worth the additional cost?
4. self draining deck
Would have thought this is standard, but again no use to you in an estuary environment. Outside however, ummmm yes worth every cent if done properly
5. 4 stroke motor
No! Weight & on going costs. Trolling might see a different perception here but why not look @ DI 2 strokes. Cheaper initially, cheaper to maintain, & lighter.
6. rocket launcher
7. bimini
Yes Definately, especially if you are looking @ a runabout. These provide shade, can help keep u dry and the rocket launcher keeps unused tackle out of harms way. They are also useful for keeping another bait outta the way of lines on the gunwales. i.e long floating lines when u r bottom bouncing.
8. trailer
Imperative, unless u intend to moor the vessel. Funily, doubt the constabulary would look to fondly apon u if u tried dragging it along the road. Not to mention the wear on the hull. But Hey, the money u save on the trailer could easily get u the upgrade to 5mm!

STUIE63
21-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Bait board with rod hoders
more rod holders (you can never have enough)
tackle box mounted in boat
deck wash
rear step
vhf radio
it sounds like a big boat you are looking at ( option of 5mm plate isnt normally on a 4m tinny) so go what you said plus these even if you aren't going to use a eg. live bait tank having one will definately help in resale value and you might use it if you had it.
Stuie