PDA

View Full Version : How secure Nudgee Ramp

Foxy4
18-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Just wondering how secure the Nudgee boat ramp is after dark? I am planning a trip out during the day, but will not get back to the ramp until 10PM. Any thoughts on the security side of things down there.

peterbo3
19-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Nudgee, Deepwater Bend, Dohles Rocks & Sandgate are somewhat suspect after dark. Try Scarborough if possible. Always a fair amount of activity with the Combie Trader slip & the Coast Guard near the parking area. Plus the police cruise by fairly often.
I would still fit a trailer lock & reverse into the gutter. Thieves are generally lazy.

kingtin
19-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Not at all. The road's a race track at night and if you consider that the pontoon middle is missing because someone undid the bolts, just think what they could do to your trailer.

I'm afraid that all ramps nowadays are a matter of making the best of a bad job and a lot of damage is caused by late night yobbo "fishos" who simply get bored. Nudgee and DWB are prime examples of "land-based gobshite 'fisho hatcheries" ;Dwhich breed nothing more than bored reprobates, who, under the pretence of doing something "matey' together, pretend that they are pursuing the sport of fishing when all they're really doing is networking with like-minded idiots to enjoy their grog and best Moroccan black.........a pastime that wouldn't be accepted in their own homes..........or would it?

Scarborough ramp is a bit out of the way and doesn't attract as many of these "sporty types" and as such, is a safer option.

As you may have guessed, security for the property of those who have worked feckin' hard to get it, is a topic that is likely to fire me up. ::)

kev

juju
19-05-2007, 11:22 AM
If i go out form sandgate, i put the boat at the top ramp and run down to the first ramp and pick up the old man after hes parked the 4x4 there....at least its near the shop and i always feel a bit safer with it there....

Fish Guts
19-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Nudgee, Deepwater Bend, Dohles Rocks & Sandgate are somewhat suspect after dark. Try Scarborough if possible. Always a fair amount of activity with the Combie Trader slip & the Coast Guard near the parking area. Plus the police cruise by fairly often.
I would still fit a trailer lock & reverse into the gutter. Thieves are generally lazy.

definatly agree with what you said. good move with reversing the trailer back into the gutter. have to agree with scarbough as being the better option, i think mainly due to the fact its not a haven for the hoons to hang out and unlike deepwater bend and nudgee, it a very accessible and visible site and easily patroled, its not hidden like the other two. good to see the police doing some patrols around the ramps !def go a trailer lock and park it as close to the coastguard base as your can, preferably under a light.

on the other hand, membership fee at Moreton bay boat club or even qcyc at shorncliffe is peace of mind with the good lock up areas they provide.

timddo
19-05-2007, 05:43 PM
i thought whyte island ramp is the safest, close to the water police and it has a camera. So if you park in front of it, you'll have no problems
bbbbbbbb

kingtin
19-05-2007, 06:24 PM
i thought whyte island ramp is the safest, close to the water police and it has a camera. So if you park in front of it, you'll have no problems
bbbbbbbb

Yeah, but it's a long way if you want to head for the Cape. If they can stick a camera at Whyte, why then not at other ramps, one may ask?

kev

Foxy4
19-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks all for the heads up. Looks like Plan B goes into action after all. Launch at Nudgee for spot X and get the Minister For All to take car and trailer home and pick up later after a phone call. Safest bet. Scarb Harb is a good one but too far from spot X same as Whyte Island.
Agree with the comments re the Cameras as well. If the can put them in the bush along the roadside and secluded places to catch the illegal rubbish dumpers then why not at all boat ramps.

Luc
19-05-2007, 07:21 PM
When I fish the Redcliffe area late afternoon & into the night, I always use the Scaborough ramp.

Can be a bit of a drive if I'm fishing as far down as Clontarf but I feel better about leaving my ute/trailer at Scaborough.

Luc

kingtin
19-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Way to go Foxy 4. My deckie often puts me in the water at DWB or Nudgee and takes the trailer home. Sad that we have to resort to that, but having peace of mind doesn't detract from our fishing and only enhances it.

kev