PDA

View Full Version : PODS

Brejen
18-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Gidday all seems like for ever since i've been on here.

I'm seriously thinking bout podding (Aliminium) my V17L and would like to get some opinons on it.

Firstly i am only doing this to create more fishing room in the boat and also to increase the height of the transom as well, boat peformance is excellent, but can take some lazy ones over the back when fishing in not so pleasent conditions

I am going to cut out the seat areas at the transom and fill in the engine well cut away to full height, then make the transom area around 350-400mm wide, this in turn will give me close to 600mm more deck at the back of the boat.
It will also increase the height of the transom to help with the slop at rest (hopefully).

As i can make all the pod etc at work it will not cost anything, and Dad and myself will do the transom, hopefully expenses will be kept down.

I have seen V17's in all the models podded but all have been different.

I was going to make the pod a fully sealed one with inspection hole at the top, with marlin/duck boards on the side.

I would like to know whether to bring the pod down to meet the keel or keep it up some.
The dimension would roughly be around the 550mm across the transom and out around 400mm ( this would give me room to trim the motor right up if needed).
Would this make the performance of the boat change dramaticlly. I cant really get an exact measurment until i get the motor off and measure so these are what i've sorta been able to come with.

Any advice would be appreciated and if any v17 owners on here that already have theirs podded would love to hear from you.

SgBFish
18-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Brejen.

This isn’t my boat but I have one of these. This is the best picture of what I think is a good setup for pods. The pod goes right to the keel. This gives added waterline length and hence I suspect less pendulum effect underway, also in your case more stern buoyancy. The pods on these are hollow and are part of the bilge line inside. I don’t have a photo but can get one of the inside if you like.

Scott

Brejen
18-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks scott for the reply mate. I have the exact same boat (owned by GAWBY) parked not a meter from mine in the shed here at home.

I have to say i would like to base the design on these.

They are a top boat thats for sure

Brett

Spaniard_King
18-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Bret, I recon it would be easier if you just sold your boat and bought mine :)

Garry

Brejen
18-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Love to Garry, but will have to just settle with mine for a little longer just for now ::) 8-) .

Brett

BM
18-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Full depth pod is the only way to go. It provides bouyancy, stops a canti-lever effect and increases the waterline length of the hull and hence improves performance.

jimbo59
18-05-2007, 08:08 PM
The dimension would roughly be around the 550mm across the transom and out around 400mm ( this would give me room to trim the motor right up if needed).
Brejen 400mm is not enuf it has got to be 600 or 680 for a v6, at 400 the motor might crash into the top of the stern,i am podding a old caribbean 20 atm it's 600 out and he's only useing a 60 yamaha.

Kerry
18-05-2007, 08:14 PM
So what does a full depth pod do? Maybe not a lot? More length? more internal space? more boat in the water, more boat to push through the water, doesn't change the relationship of the prop to the planning surface of the hull!

Regards, Kerry.

snelly1971
18-05-2007, 08:17 PM
I know a Diver here with a V19 r he had the pod put on it...I will try and get some pics for you in the next few days and post them for you....

Cheers Mick

BM
18-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Heres a pic of a Haines 16R that I am presently working on for a customer.

We have fitted a bolt on type, semi bouyant pod. Full depth is the best but obviously dollars control the final product.

I have fitted a few of these and when I do, I set them as close to the bottom of the hull as possible.

This then requires an alloy plate to be bolted to the mounting face of the pod for the outboard to mount on and achieve correct height.

Cheers

Matt_F
18-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Hi Brejen,

Here is my two cents for what it is worth.

I would be inclined to extend the pod so that it spans the whole width of the transom and runs flush with the existing keel and hull. In effect make your boat a little longer in the water. This will give more lift when planing therefore less leaver effect and more buoyancy at rest. I will be looking to do something similare with my boat in a few years. This shouldn't influence the performance of the boat with the same horse power, but it may pay to do the math first. In theory if this does not significantly increase the wieght of the hull then the performance should at least remain the same if not improved. Obviously there will be some increase in weight.

Kerry, this would change the prop to planing surface ratio. Right?

Cheers

Kerry
19-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Matt_F, Simply extending the keel line and full width pod would make it a bigger boat yes, increases the planning surface and would also require more HP to push it, bigger boat!

What a stepped pod does is keep the planning surface the same, same boat when on the plane, same HP, sets the prop back further from the turbulence of the stern and allows the engine to be lifted.

Regards, Kerry.

Brejen
19-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the replys.

I wrote out a big long reply last night at 1100oclock and when i posted it , it diappeared and cracked it and went to bed.

Kerry when you talk stepped is that like the pod im BM's Pic,

I was looking at doing it the same as the Yalta thats in Scotts pic. Right to the centre Keel line then only around 250-300mm either side of that.

I am making the whole pod out of Alli as I have everything i need at work. Once the draftsmen at work draw up the pics i can 1 post them on here and 2 be able to work out the weight of the pod.

Snelly- Mick would like to see some pics of the 19 if you can.

Bm worta sorta $$$$ is a pod like that worth ..

Agin thanks to that replied so far

Brett

BM
19-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Brett,

Those glass pods I get from a local (Vic) boat builder/repairer for $660 incl GST.

Kerry
19-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Brejen,

....Kerry when you talk stepped is that like the pod im BM's Pic,....

More or less! even a bit higher?

When they design this thing there is no need to go wider than necessary and no need to build it like a battleship. 10mm alloy plate is heaps and the smaller the pod can be made the stronger it will be with less flex and minimum/no gusseting.

Regards, Kerry.

Redbream
19-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Hey guys,

I have a 635L with a stepped pod on it, and it works a treat and "no" cantilever effect.
Heres some pics of it (i hope!!)

http://www.fishnet.com.au/content/fishnet/images/gallery/220b1e79-fed5-4cc5-8885-f47b757ef446.jpghttp://www.fishnet.com.au/content/fishnet/images/gallery/00c6fd4b-41e2-453a-a23f-5d83f7728e3c.jpg

Does give you so much more deck space. My motor has been limited in it's trim travel so it does not hit the transom.

BM.....does look to be a very similar design to yours.

Cheers Shaun.

BM
19-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Yep, sure looks to be the same pod.

Brejen
19-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Shaun thanks for the pics mate. If i can what sorta measurements is it and how high can you get it to trim. I dont trim mine right up when at travel as i dont lock it on the motor travel lock i use an extension arm type and have it trimmed down some anyway.

Kerry thanks again will get the boys to draw me something up next week and post it for you.

Brett