PDA

View Full Version : Fool-A-Fish

Nic
18-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Has anybody here used Fool-A-Fish? I was given a sample to try, you spray it on your lure and it dries and reflects UV light. In my clubbing/raving days I had clear hair gel would glow under UV light, presumably this is how Fool-A-Fish looks to the fish!

I have tried it on SPs fished for reefies but haven't seen a difference in catch rates compared to non-sprayed plastics.

There are testimonials out there (e.g. at www.shiptontrading.com/pages.asp?Name=Fool%2DA%2DFish+Testimonials)
but they're written by professional journos and guides. I just wanted to see if there was an ordinary fisher like me who has used it. Perhaps it only works in shallower water?

the gecko
18-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Ive caught a few fish on it. It seems to work best on hardbodies. It could be counterproductive to a sp with a scent, like gulps?

I gave it away as I moved to more night fishing. It depends on reflecting uv lightwaves during daylight. The science behind it seems solid enough, I do know that a lot of animals see a different light spectrums to humans.

Interesting to hear what others say. I reckon the juries still out.

Andrew

Nic
18-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Ive caught a few fish on it. It seems to work best on hardbodies. It could be counterproductive to a sp with a scent, like gulps?

I gave it away as I moved to more night fishing. It depends on reflecting uv lightwaves during daylight. The science behind it seems solid enough, I do know that a lot of animals see a different light spectrums to humans.

Thanks for the feedback Andrew, what species of fish did it account for?

I have only used it on Snapback Jerk Baits, which are (I think) unscented. I agree with you about the Gulps, it probably would defeat the purpose of using them!

Sniper
21-05-2007, 08:27 PM
In a recent Bream comp, some of the guys were using it on gulps. Some swear by it, others were just having a hard time so they gave it a go. Me, not sure. Haven't used it as of yet so jury's still out for me. Have to get me some. Do they make "Fool-A-Woman"?, cause I need all the help in that department. LOL
Cheers
Billyboy

Nic
22-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Haven't used it as of yet so jury's still out for me. Have to get me some. Do they make "Fool-A-Woman"?, cause I need all the help in that department. LOL
Billyboy

If you weren't up in Caloundra I'd put you onto my friend, she's looking for a fisherman. ;)

Nog
22-05-2007, 03:37 PM
It's funny how you can buy products from fly fishing shops that you use to remove the UV additives that make your whites whiter in laundry powder, as it spooks trout :0). Have you ever seen any baitfish light up like a Chrismas tree under a UV light? I think it's a bit of spin, but that didn't stop me from getting some TiO2 powder from a apint factory and mixing in some craft glue to spray on my lures (for $2 I get a lifetimes supply)

Cheers

Nog

Proudly associated with Fool-A-Fisher

the gecko
24-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I got estuary cod and bream on it. Used frenzy and reidys hardbodies. Makes sure you let it dry on the lure for a few mins before casting. I used it near canal rockwalls at dawn, so I was in spots that I know produce fish at the best time of the day. As such I dont know if the stuff was a help or not.

I moved more to mullet flesh during summer, and I swear by ultrabite liquid drops for flesh baits.

As for "Have you ever seen any baitfish light up like a Chrismas tree under a UV light?" well the human eye cant see UV spectrum. There is enough evidence that fish can see UV. Its all there if you do a google search. Homing pidgeons see UV to navigate. 90% of animals only see black and white. Whether this helps us catch fish or not is debatable tho.

cheers
Andrew

chatman
09-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I found a link on another web site that took me to the importers web site, it seems they have been field testing the Fool-a-Fish for around 12 months, with fishing writers and fishing guides around the country, their testimonials which are on their web site are pretty good, they have been getting some impresive results on large range of species.

finga
09-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Don't know about fooling a fish.
I reckon the fish have some stuff/book called "How to make a fool out of a fisherman".