PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Night Fishing

Barraboy7
17-05-2007, 08:50 PM
HI all
New to the forum but love all the discussion on Barra fishing in Awoonga and Monduran. Any one got some advice on how best to fish the dams at night? I dont mean trolling, I mean casting, lures, poppers and stuff. Want to get up there in the summer and tray that as well as the day fishing
Thanks
barraboy78-)

Feral
18-05-2007, 06:49 AM
thats hard, you would need to do a good scout aboput, either up Iveragh creek arm or right up the boyne to find some structure during the day to sus out likely spots for fishing at night.

davez104
18-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Never fished Awoonga at night, but have done a couple of times at Teemburra. We camped on one of the islands up the dam a bit, it had a few good dropoffs around it and the bank was fairly clear of timber so we could walk it in the dark without breaking a leg. It was over the full moon at christmas time, we just used any old poppers, didn't seem to matter too much about size or type, although a Bil's Bugs fizzer probably had a slight edge in strike rate. We, (the missus and I) ended up landing 18 Barra over two nights. We could have caught more but as we fished all day as well, we where stuffed. We found that when we got a hit, if the fish had not hit the hooks, we cast again and usually get another strike, but if the fish had been stung he would not come back. The best bet then was to walk up the bank 50-100M and start casting again. A bit of comotion seemed to make them go quiet for 10-15 minutes, but only in the immediate area.

Best of luck with it mate.

Dave.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/Davez104/Feb0406.jpg

husserhunter
18-05-2007, 11:16 AM
at it's best on a full moon & at night!!!

Whitto
18-05-2007, 11:25 AM
G'Day Barraboy7, Thats a good question, it's easy to tell u what lures work for me and all that, personally if I was u a halfday charter would be invaluable u would learn more in half a day than u would in 10 trips to Barra impoundments and hoping for the best, I know it maybe financially difficult but it would be money well spent, Good Luck and Im sure there will be others on this forum who will give endless advise, (also Barra comps are a good way to learn), Cheers and Good Luck Whitto

Mak579
19-05-2007, 10:45 AM
HI all
New to the forum but love all the discussion on Barra fishing in Awoonga and Monduran. Any one got some advice on how best to fish the dams at night? I dont mean trolling, I mean casting, lures, poppers and stuff. Want to get up there in the summer and tray that as well as the day fishing
Thanks
barraboy78-)

Barraboy7,

Barra are nocturnal feeders so you'll find they're generally a lot more active during the night, actively feeding and moving about. With this in mind spend a bit of time during the day finding shallow (less than 12ft in most cases) areas where bait are likely to be - your sounder will tell you straight away if your on the money. A slow steady retrieve works best for me, lures can be anything from hardbody (like xraps) to the soft plastics (like squidgy slickrigs), any lure that has a bit of movement and targets the top column of water works best.

Whilst night time fishing can be quite productive, the dusk and dawn periods are also generally hot bite periods as well.

Best of luck,
Matt C