PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Flush???

Raesen
17-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Guys I'm going to the Tweed Coast for two weeks next month on hols. Will be taking my tinnie and Yam 15 outboard.

Hope to go fishing (in boat) each day but weather might turn to s##t and don't get out.

My question is that if I use the boat each day as planned do I NEED to flush (fresh water) the motor after each trip or not??? Lets face it, we do not flush the motor on an overnight trip (i.e. anchored and not driven after dark until next morning) or should I flush it (fresh water) each time used?????

I will flush it if something happens and not going the next day but was wondering is it necessary when using each day.

I am mindful on two fronts such as mechanical problems with no day to day flush as well as any water restrictions/wasting.

Any of your thoughts would be appreciated to best maintain my motor and water cooling components..

Cheers
Pete

ozscott
17-05-2007, 05:16 PM
wouldnt have thought so.

FNQCairns
17-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Over 2 weeks of no flushes V the lifetime of the engine, will not be measurable, esp so if your boating in clear water. Forgetabout it (with a sopranos lilt):)

cheers fnq

2iar
17-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Pete,

My philosophy would be if you can flush it, flush it. If you can't (or can't be bothered) don't sweat over it.

A good flush when you get home should be enough.

Enjoy your trip.

Good luck,
Mike

tunaticer
17-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Pete,

If you are going fishing every day or so it will not harm your motor at all not flushing it. The problem arises when you leave your motor with salt water in the pump and through the rest of the motor for periods long enough for the salt to crystalise and then the damage occurs. Once salt crystalises it is like how water expands when it becomes ice and wherever salt water has penetrated any surface ie paint alloy or any other porous material and dries to crystaline form damage occurs.
Prolonged non use of marine motors must always be flushed with fresh water prior to storage however regular use of these motors will avoid crystalization and minimise corrosion and damage.

If you read thru the manufacturers methods of storage of outboard motors it will state this time and again about regular use of motors not needing fresh water flushing.

Kleyny
17-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm with everyone else she'll be right mate

neil

Kerry
17-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Regular use (like daily or many times a week) is much more beneficial than flushing anyway.

Raesen
17-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Guys
Many thanks for all your responses. Especially as I am no mechanic and everything you have suggested is worthwhile information for the future.
A sincere thanks again.
Cheers
Pete