PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Running a Suzuki 2 Stroke 40..

J2DAG83
17-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Was just wondering if anyone on here is running a DT40 Suzuki or if they've heard anything about them.... really good price, light weight are the plus's i can see, not sure about it only being 2 cylinders though????.... if anyone knows how smooth they run etc. it would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers Jared

Crooked
17-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Jared,
I bought one recently with a new boat and I'm happy with it so far. Like everything else in boating you need to look at what you want to do with your boat and buy something to suit.

I bought it because of price, simplicity (meaning I can probably chase down a problem myself and fix it) and the reliability of the suzuki. Keep in mind that these are a large displacement 2 cyl engine so have relatively high vibrations at low revs. I don't find the vibration a problem but if you were to compare it to a 3 cyl or 4 stroke there would be a big difference.

I am just finished running mine in so smokey at start up only with the run in mix but I expect this will drop off now. Good power as you would expect from the 2 stroke and once off idle the vibration is as you would expect with a 3cyl. I bought the electric start model for $4000 and the electric start is brilliant. I haven't really got exact figures yet but last trip inshore with just myself, pushing a 4.2m tinny (deepish V) I travelled 65km(according to GPS) at a mix of speeds with a 25L tank and still had a litre or so in bottom. I also got to 52km/hr with just me 50L fuel and other gear.

If you are after a very well priced, simple and reliable motor then this is great. If you are looking for a motor for trolling, power/trim etc then you should look to another. I really like the motor and it is worth considering.

cheers, Evan