PDA

View Full Version : anti foul

SCOTTYGC
17-05-2007, 12:21 PM
i was looking at a second hand alloy boat recently and it had antifoul painted on its hull

was speaking to a bloke at work about this and he tells me it needs to be done all the time now that its on there?

is this true?

i would think that if you were not keeping it in the water you would not need to keep doing it

also in some places around the motor brackets the anti foul looked rough and not very neat

is this normal

cheers
scotty

Ian1
17-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Scotty

No you don't have keep applying antifoul if the boats kept out of the water and its quite normal for the antifoul to be a bit rough. Its usually just slapped on top of the previous coat with a roller or brush.
You can get special strippers to remove the antifoul but its a very messy and smelly job.

cheers

Ian

SCOTTYGC
17-05-2007, 01:36 PM
so will it wear off ?

peterbo3
17-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Scotty,
It will wear off............................................... ......................

But not in your lifetime. ;D;D;D;D
However, it can be removed by wet blasting. I would be checking the yellow pages. Very messy with a grinder & the possibility of nasty fumes. Stripper very, very nasty work also.

Kerry
17-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Once anti fouled it's almost there for life in some shape or form unless one spends the time to specifically get rid of it and that's not an easy job.

Antifouling small boats is one of those "does one really really really need to antifoul in the first place and why" type of questions.

Regards, Kerry.

SCOTTYGC
18-05-2007, 08:38 AM
after closer inspection of the boat in question the anti foul is flakeing off and looks very untidy

sound like more trouble than its worth

freddofrog
18-05-2007, 09:12 AM
that's what I thought so I'm leaving my antifouling to come of naturally. Apparently it's going to look like crap while it's coming off but better that than the alternatives of trying to remove it.

Was also told that if the antifoul remains dry for a couple of months (think laying up over winter) it looses it effectiveness. Not sure why this might be the case, possibly something to do with oxidation but that's just what I was told.

Ian1
18-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Scotty

I recently stripped a 23 ft Caribbean with antifoul stripper and a high pressure cleaner. It took 2 of us 4 days at about 4 hrs a day. Most of the time is spent waiting for the stripper do do its job. So its not a huge job but it sure is messy. The antifoul stripper is not as nasty as normal paint stripper but doesn't smell to good in the morning with a hangover:dizzy:

Cheers

Ian