PDA

View Full Version : Want to put a Centre Console in my boat

Ryan.S
16-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey guys. Just wanting to modify my tinny http://www.fishntales.com/forum/Smileys/default/huh.gif. Its a Seajay Magnum 415. And i would like to make it into a centre console. I was thinking i would mount it on the front seat. Have any of you guys had any experience with this. Some pics would be great aswell, and perhaps how much it cost to set up. I was thinking of doing it myself but have had no experience. Cheers, Ryno
(I'v attached a photo of my boat)

Ryan.S
16-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Sorry guys, cant seem to upload the picture. Anyone know how to shrink a 117mb pic to 100mb. Will keep trying.
Ryno

russ81
16-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Hows it going mate
My last boat was a 4.9m tinny converted to centre console basically it was a console from BCF about $300 then a steering kit and throttle control kit
the console was welded to the support struts and then a floor layed down over the top. total cost for the entire set up was about $700.However in saying that i was lucky enough not to have to buy most of the stuff brand new

russ81
16-05-2007, 01:14 PM
to resize your pics

Open the pic from its file location it should open in the windows fax viewer.
Select the icon to the left of the question mark ( or press Ctrl E )
This should open the pic up for editing Next press Ctrl W.
This should open a small window
Then adjust the stretch % i usually change them both to 30%
Press the ok tag
next select FILE Scroll down to SAVE AS and enter a new file name.Hope this helps
Russ

Jeremy
16-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Ryan,

I converted my 4.3m tiller steer tinny to a centre console several years ago. Cost me around $2000 all up, but well worth it. Better ride, better vision when driving and better fishability.

Things to factor into the cost are console, steering wheel, new cable steering, control box and cables, remote kit for your outboard.

You may also need to put a new floor in - ply, carpet, screws - and re-mount all your electrics in new positions.

Depends on your boat, but on top of the front seat might not give you much room in front of the console to walk around. You might want to think about getting it welded to the floor and front seat immediately behind the front seat. You can then put a casting deck and storage under in front of the front seat.

Alternatively, the seats - front and rear - can be removed to give you a full flat floor, but you will need to get some additional bracing welded in under the floor in place of the seats for structural strength and as bracing for the new floor. You will also have to replace the foam floatation elsewhere in your boat, or take a risk on losing the floatation.

Hope this helps. Happy to help with more specific info if you want.

Jeremy

SHARKY123
26-02-2008, 02:03 PM
hi there sharky here a new member i just brought a savage 435 corrobree and was thinking of putting in a cantre console or a side console anyone have any ideas where to start and cost ect.. thanks

Giffo7
26-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Ryan,I bought a Polycraft open boat and dropped a 50hp Yammy tiller on the the back.I made my own console out of ally (Im a welder) I was lucky that the yammy tiller was cable operated from the arm.I purchased cables,control box(second hand) and steering kit.all up cost me about $1200 but I did the lot myself.But a different boat in the end,improved vis when crossing the bar and better load distribution.money well spent !

Cheers
Giffo

Mac_Attack
26-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Ryan,I bought a Polycraft open boat and dropped a 50hp Yammy tiller on the the back.I made my own console out of ally (Im a welder) I was lucky that the yammy tiller was cable operated from the arm.I purchased cables,control box(second hand) and steering kit.all up cost me about $1200 but I did the lot myself.But a different boat in the end,improved vis when crossing the bar and better load distribution.money well spent !

Cheers
Giffo

Sorry to get of topic but Giffo check this website out http://www.polyboatowners.com

Youcan bu a centre consol from BCF pretty cheap i didn;t really have a good look but as russ81 said its not hard to do just a little bit of work :)
Cheers Nick 8-)

Mac_Attack
26-02-2008, 06:58 PM

Cheers
Giffo

Sorry to get of topic but Giffo check this website out http://www.polyboatowners.com

You can buy a centre consol from BCF pretty cheap i didn;t really have a good look but as russ81 said its not hard to do just a little bit of work :)
Cheers Nick 8-)

FNQCairns
26-02-2008, 07:14 PM
hey Russ have you ever been up the front of your boat while underway in anything rough, I had a front CC on the seat in a better riding hull same length and it was rough rough rough!. I also had problems with a lack of forward buoyancy in short sharp waves at trolling speeds.

Your boat may suit a CC better with it situated at around the 1/3 mark forward, wetter but softer at least.

It's a cruisey ride with tiller steer...

cheers fnq

Horse
26-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Keep the CC back a bit. The ride and trim will be much better.
Bias etc sell a poly one that might do the job. I thought the BCF ones were too light but I could be wrong.
I knocked my one out of fibreglass. Mold and materials probably came to about $275 with a solid weekends work to build it

Ally410
29-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I made mine from scratch out of 12mm marine ply, bent the dash out of Ally plate and bolted to the floor and the front seat with a 50mm overlap on the seat for stability. Had some 25mm (3mm wall) tube bent up for a folding windscreen and screwed some perspex to it.

All up cost was around ~$1k including the steering componentry, Yamaha motor adaptor kit, forward controls, stainless fittings/bolts etc.

Totally new boat now, very happy with the result.

Orrsum
10-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Nice job, wish i had though of the whole carpet over ply. have just had a side console made out of 2.5mm Ally the carpet ties in well....