PDA

View Full Version : Watersnake v Minn Kota (what's your thoughts?)

SWFISHER
16-05-2007, 09:43 AM
What's everyones thoughts on the Jarvis Marine v Minn Kota for electric motors.?
Are u buying what u pay for with the watersnake? or is just a good alternative.

thanks for your input.

Kevin

ffejsmada
16-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Lets include the Motorguide as well if that's ok.

Cheers.

bdowdy
16-05-2007, 10:09 AM
mate bought new watersnake a month or so , has had problems with it ever since been sent back 3 times i know of, keeps cutting out . went back yesterday for more problems ???????????? . i think its better to pay that bit more for quality. cheers bdowdy

MobileBoatCanopies
16-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I recently got a motorguide wireless 55lb and it has so far been great. By the time you get a quick release bracket for the watersnake it is only another couple of hundred bucks to go with the motorguide. The mount bracket they come with only requires loosening one thumb screw to remove it from the boat. Definately worth the extra dollars to go with a proven product that has an extra 2yrs warranty.

Terry

oddbudman
16-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I've recently installed a 75lb motorguide wireless bowmount- awesome unit with a quality finish - and the wireless feature is pretty cool.

Its my third electric - 1st being a 40lb Kota Transom, 2nd being a 54lb Watersnake transom.

The Watersnake had lots of issues, the screws were prone to rust, the transom trim bracket was not well engineered (it motor would fall down when passing over waves), and the motor would randomly stop working.

The 40lb Transom Kota I had was a nice unit.

I'd stick to either the Kotas or the Motorguide if I was buying an electric.

oddbudman

SWFISHER
16-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks Guys great info 3 years warranty has got to mean something!!

the gecko
16-05-2007, 03:25 PM
I had a look at WS and ended up with a kota RT55. I thought the autopilot was something Id use a lot. Ive used my mates motorguide and it was pretty good too. MG went up and down a bit easier then MK, and has a swivel bracket in case you hit rocks.

WS still needs to be proven as far as quality IMHO.

Andrew

Hoomooloo73
21-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I've got a Motorguide 55lb wireless, I've only got about 15hrs up on it so far but it has performed flawlessly. The wireless feature is excellent. I looked at the W/Snakes but they looked to be awfully plasticy to me, hence the cheap price though. I think there is alot of merit in the saying "you get what you pay for". Glad I decided to spend the extra money on a Motorguide, great price, great build quality, great performance. I would recommend a W55SW to anyone with a small boat. Cheers Matt

mlc
21-05-2007, 05:08 PM
hows it goin all, i bought a watersnake about a month ago now and havnt had a single thing go wrong with it. i think maybe bdowdy might of got a faulty one or something (eather that or mines about to give me shit) but for the price there prety good value

roydsy
21-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Motorguide W75 here with wireless footpedal and keychain fob. Bloody awesome unit! Very happy with it and the three year warranty keeps you reassured.

SWFISHER
21-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Yeh well, I thinking Motorguid seems the flavour, I can pickup a Motor guid for the right price of $1140 for the wireless salt version model.

keep your thoughts coming cheers kevin

angler1
22-05-2007, 04:15 PM
i have a w/snake and have done approx 50hrs with no trouble, yes they look plasticy but for the money you pay for them they do the job they are intended to do.

angler1

banshee
22-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Have to say my 54BM Watersnake is going great after three months,had a problem with the foot control (first outing) that was fixed inside a week.Most of the use has been on electric only dams with the motor running continuosly varying from just ticking over to full speed for periods of up to nine hours,it has also had a bit of fresh river work but little salt (only two days),I've owned a Minnkota Riptide before and would rate the Watersnake a better motor,I have had little to do with Motorguide but believe them to be excelent product by all accounts.I'm led to believe the next genneration of Watersnakes will be coming out with cordless foot control and optional remote hand control,existing models will be able to run the remote system.

SWFISHER
22-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Good to hear some great reports on the watersnakes, thanks

regards Kevin

ffejsmada
22-05-2007, 07:00 PM
I also have been doing my research on leccys. I've looked at all three and narrowed it down to the Motorguide and the Minn Kota.
I was pretty keen on the Motorguide, but after talking to a few blokes in local tackle stores I've opted for the RT55SW Minn Kota, which I actually purchased yesterday.

To be honest, I reckon you could toss a coin between the two. I only went for the Minn Kota 'cause the dealership was a lot closer to home. Price also was comparable.

Jeff.

fish_on
27-05-2007, 01:23 PM
where did you but it ffejsmadakfngiehwntg. just wondering how much and where ya got it thinking of getting one myself

kingtin
27-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Well, the mart that shan't be named got in there quick with the watersnake and it's taken some time, but bcf has just woke up to the potential market and are now stocking 'em..........(despite one salesman saying, "no mate, we ain't gonna stock that shite, it'd only harm bcf's good name") ;D

At 399 for the 54lb and the mart regularly giving 20% discount, so they come out at 319, I reckon that if it carks it after 12 months, I ain't gonna cry like I would if a more expensive model carked it.

I've had my stern mount in the salt for 3 months now and it's only weakness so far is the screws on the retaining bracket. I can live with them (at that price) as long as I keep 'em well inoxed.

kev

mylestom
27-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Well live at the beach and estuary. Have had three Minn Kotas.

Two riptide 40lb (Bought second one after someones need was greater than mine).

Upgraded to Minn Kotta Bow Mount and have used for last three years on a weekly basis (Sometimes daily) the auto pilot is fantastic and is a must have for flicking plastics or lures. Whether I the estuary, river or up in the Impoundments.

Watersnake really needs to prove itself over a longer period and also needs to have the Autopilot.

Reckon you get what you pay for.

Just my two bobs worth

Trev

SWFISHER
28-05-2007, 02:07 PM
tHANKS TREV YOUR THOUGHTS ARE WORTHY

CHEERS KEVIN