PDA

View Full Version : underfloor floatation

shardoroba
16-05-2007, 07:44 AM
guys, does anyone know how to go about adding floatation to my 5.8 yalta,it would have to be in the form of liquid!!!!!??,that can be pumped/poured in,Also been told this stuff retains water,so dont want to increase the weight of my boat,Also been told the floatation when it expands could cause damage,ie pop the floor,live in sydney,any help welome

blaze
16-05-2007, 09:55 AM
yes to most of ya question
there is a new breed of flotation out but its not liquid and would require lifting of the floor, I would be more inclined to add flotation to the gunnels or at least as close to that height as you can to retain or at least give a bouyancy that wasnt going to upend ya boat and relie on the exsisiting air chamber in the bottom
cheers
blaze

trev1
16-05-2007, 08:47 PM
fibre glass international make a product for boat floatation in a 2 pack epoxy. I need to find some myself for my tinny. When you mix the 2 parts, it creates an expanding foam that expands to fill whatever void you put it in.

blaze
16-05-2007, 09:12 PM
fibre glass international make a product for boat floatation in a 2 pack epoxy. I need to find some myself for my tinny. When you mix the 2 parts, it creates an expanding foam that expands to fill whatever void you put it in.
be very careful about the 2 pak as a lot of it has been know to absorb water when it is accidently chipped or cut. flotation above floor level is better
cheers
blaze

snelly1971
16-05-2007, 11:36 PM
I have to agree with Blaze...Two pac flotation is dangerous in the wrong hands...There have been cases of 5mm Aluminium floors being warped and bowed due to too much being added ...imagine what it would do to a Glass boat...Stick to above floor flotation...The new product on the Market is Micro-Len..There was a recent post here about it....Cheers Mick

shardoroba
17-05-2007, 10:04 PM
thanks for the info, guys cheers