PDA

View Full Version : Started saving for a boat

aus2045
15-05-2007, 12:35 PM
I finally opened a savings account to save for a boat. Yippee.

I hope to get something that can get offshore a bit, and good for a family as I have a 4yo and a 1yo. I hope to be able to have enough saved by the time the oldest is 12, so I can get them interested in fishing and boating. I just hope there are still a few fish left by then.

russ81
15-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Hows it going mate
I have to say great decision
Where abouts are you from as if your interested in gettiing offshore for a bit of a fish and some local knowledge give us a yell.
Russ

Aussie-Guy
15-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Mate u will do great...Wish i could save for a boat...I hope u do really well with the savings mate...

FNQCairns
15-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Mate there will be heaps of fish just like now alothough there may be nowhere a person will be allowed to fish given a choice but that's another story.

You don't need flash, if you want flash for a first boat you will probably sell it soon after like many do or it will sit as a twicer a year, find yourself a rough but ready 4.2-4.5m tinny and test the water, the places the family can go for a day even a picnic will have a 4 year old talking about it for days!

Of coarse each to their own.

cheers fnq

aus2045
15-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I live in Rockhampton. I try off the bank but have no luck.

juju
15-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Good to have a goal......i got a loan from the bank, have paid off half now....i make extra payments even if its just tranfering an extra $10 off...it all adds up...:)

davez104
15-05-2007, 02:12 PM
A good 4.5M tinnie will get you out around the islands, don't need any more than that. It will be cheap to run, easy to tow, easy to clean and won't cost you all that much to buy in the first place. Try to spend a little bit more on something with a late model motor, you realy want one thats going to be reliable. Best of luck with the saving, coz I can't save for sh!t.

Dave.

Roughasguts
15-05-2007, 03:09 PM
aus, I did the same as you got me boat eventually.
Now I'm saving up for the fuel to go in it.

Ryan.S
15-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Hope you win the lottery in the mean time mate.
Ryno

aus2045
15-05-2007, 07:00 PM
All I want is a 4m tinny. Cant afford more that that, after all this is australia and I dont have a degree nor can I drive a coal truck so am on minimum wage. Misses cant work, never had a job, and got 2 kids. I hope to save $6000-$8000 in 8 years. I hope I win the lotto to.

Poodroo
15-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Sooner is always better than later I guess. If you can organize a loan then I would suggest it and pay it off because you could be enjoying it now rather than so many years down the track when the oldest is 12. Something that I have become very aware of as I have grown older is that time gets away on you quickly and we never know how long we are on this earth for so enjoy everything you can and live like there may never be a tomorrow. Teach the kids to fish now. :) It is commendable that you want to save too.

Poodroo

PinHead
15-05-2007, 08:14 PM
All I want is a 4m tinny. Cant afford more that that, after all this is australia and I dont have a degree nor can I drive a coal truck so am on minimum wage. Misses cant work, never had a job, and got 2 kids. I hope to save $6000-$8000 in 8 years. I hope I win the lotto to.

you are right..this is Australia...where, if you want to make a buck you can...just takes some diligence and hard work.

Poodroo
15-05-2007, 08:24 PM
You wouldn't need $6000-$8000 for a tinny if you went second hand. The tinny I just got back to seaworthy cost me around $4000 including getting another motor for it. Also purchased a new trailer for it. There are bargains out there. Just need to hunt around for it.

Poodroo

FNQCairns
15-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Well then a 12 foot tinny with a 6hp on it, tday many have lost the plot on what it takes to have fun on the water and consider it an extension of the traffic light pissing contest.
Certainly harder today for even the average than it has ever been throughout my life, if today I had to start completely over don't know how I would do it, feel for the TRUE Aussie battler without them for the country to ride on, we would all sink.
Many more in your shoes and growing in number every day, I have seen 12 footers with older outboards for $800 in the local rag here that's cheap boating and perfectly acceptable.

cheers fnq

Dan5
15-05-2007, 08:50 PM
buy somthin cheap flog the guts out of it and have a ball u dont need a flash boat to have fun mate

fishingjew
15-05-2007, 08:51 PM
aus2045

There is also the option of picking up a nice cheap glass hull that needs a new
floor or transom a little elbow grease and a thinking chair but be careful of the
chair it doesn,t always work and you get a boat that your happy with and set up
the way you want it.8-)

Jabiru658
15-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I picked up a 12 foot Stacer Seasprite 3.8 with a 15hp stroke on it for $just under $3000 on ebay.

It's actually fairly tidy and runs very well and the motor has low hours on it.

There are decent tinnies out there for not a lot of $ as people have said.

I was wanting something a bit bigger, but I missed my old tinnie and it was going to be 12 months maybe 2 years before we'd be in a position to buy a larger/newer boat and in the meantime we've got something we can enjoy ourselves in :)

8 years is a _long_ time to be waiting for $8000, I'd be searching for something lots cheaper than that and saving for a year or two.

Any boat that's safe is a hell of a lot more fun than no boat at all...

thedeckie
15-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Mate,
I noticed in one of your posts in the general area that you said you owned a centre cab Sportfish, you obviously have some experience with boats and sounds as though you have done a hell of a lot of fishing in some fantastic places.

As you said, this is Australia and I dont know one bloke that hasn't done alright by knuckling down and having a go.

Hope that boat comes to you.

Cheers

Paul

aus2045
15-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok, but in Rocky, even the cheapest second hand tinny costs about 6000. I dont have a car, so cant go to brissy to get one either, but even if I found one at $800 thats 12 months of savings on my wage.

Dezzer
16-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Perhaps you could sell off a couple of the Loomis's Aus

WHALEOIL
16-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Started saving for a boat

Start some sort of a buisiness. Something new in the market like making wallets out of catfish and stingray skins.

themissus
16-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey aus, Keep plugging away it you will get there.;):) One thing I do, is put any coins I have in my wallet the end the day in a money box. You would be supprised how much you save. Good luck and keep at it. You'll have your boat before you know it. In the mean time make nice with someone that already has one..::) ::)
Cheers Kim.:)

Red_Nut
16-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Don't have a car eh??????

Might need a car first, afterall you can't tow a boat to the ramp by hand.

Ed.

aus2045
18-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Car is almost there, doing up an old one for roadworth. 89 Ford Laser.

FNQCairns
18-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Need pics:)

aus2045
18-05-2007, 10:35 AM
this might be a good project

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-7-metre-BERTRAM-CARRIBEAN-FIBERGLASS-BOAT_W0QQitemZ110126616122QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10270 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Red_Nut
18-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Might be a bit heavy to tow with an 89 Laser :)

Tailortaker
18-05-2007, 02:21 PM
G'day ?us, Keep saving and keep looking, I just picked up a good little tinnie with a good late model motor,sounder,floor plus a few other extras for a couple of grand and it goes great, gets me to where i want to fish and home again (always a bonus) My Missus and 4yr old son are coming out in it tomorrow for the first time if weather permits. So keep your eye on the prize it will come.
Cheers mate
________
Health-forums.org (http://www.health-forums.org/)

snelly1971
18-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Stick to your saving....at least when the time comes you will be able to get what you want...There is nothing worse than rushing into buying something to find out that it is not what you wanted after you have saved and spent your hard earned cash....

Cheers Mick

PinHead
18-05-2007, 03:03 PM
perhaps a new Ocean Cylinder???

finga
18-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Aaah go the full hog and get a proper Berty.

As long as the Laser has some grip on the front wheels she'll be right to get up the ramp.
No point in getting a boat anyways. To catch a fish you have to send $80,000 on a boat and go 200km off shore. (that's a quote from you in the General section under 'Fishing for the poor') http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=109955
You'd be saving awhile just to fuel the boat to get you to a fishing spot.
Might be cheaper to buy some catfish from the supermarket.
Question for you though Aus...how do the kids, wife and yourself get around Rocky??
Taxi's would be a bit exy after a while

2DKnBJ
18-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Your not stirring the pot are you Mr Finga. HE HE

Cheers Dazza

Lovey80
19-05-2007, 12:11 AM
AUS

Hey maybe getting a steal on a boat like that could be the start. If you have the time on your hands you could get into doing up boats for a tidy proffit. That way you can keep upgrading as you go and your boating knowlege with increase as you go. As one goes out the door in good condition you get a better one in poor condition an so on. so long as your not spending too much more than your time you should do ok.

Cheers Chris

kingtin
19-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Question for you though Aus...how do the kids, wife and yourself get around Rocky??
Taxi's would be a bit exy after a while

Dunno about the wife and kids getting around in Rocky, but considering he's hard up, what was he doing planning a trip to Thailand last November? He's about as lucky with fishing as he is with ladyboys, seems all he managed in Rocky was, "large hairy men, in old frocks and red lipstick". I suppose he had to take a taxi to go see them as well ;D Never mind Aus, your luck will change soon ;D

kev

Lovey80
19-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Cant believe i wasted my time writing a reply to this piss taker. Good piss take mate