PDA

View Full Version : Lady Musgrave

drpete
14-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi, I'm going up to Lady Musgrave in September for a couple of weeks of camping and diving. As I've been a fisherman for a lot longer than I've been a diver, I'm looking to suppliment my diet with fish if possible. I've never fished up there so I'm looking for any advice on bait, gear, species, location or anything else you think is relevant. I will be mostly just shore fishing as the boat will be used for diving but a couple of us may take it out at night some time as well. Any advice would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Lucky_Phill
14-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Shore fishing will be an issue as you are in the middle of a Green Zone.

Best to get a hold of the charts for that area in relation to the boundries of green zones etc.

Phill

Fish Guts
15-05-2007, 02:33 AM
dr pete. heading up there this week for a week. will let you know how we go. anyone know of any dive boats with a compressor, that works around musgrave that will do some tank refils, for cash ?

drpete
15-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Well as to the issue of the green zones, I will definetly check that out in more detail but one of the guys in our dive club is with fisheries and he says that there are places around the island where you can fish.
As to the dive boat, my wife and I dived there a few moths back on the Venus II liveaboard. They obviously have a compressor so ifyou contact them and arrange something in advance, you may be okay. You can contact them through Bundaberg Aqua Scuba.
Look forward to the report.

Lucky_Phill
15-05-2007, 07:07 AM
I have re-checked the green zoning drpete. the link is provided below. The island itself is not in a green zone but has green zones around it.

The island is very flat with beach all round, so any fishing there would be poppa tossing I reckon. There are areas to the South East of the island which will produce good bottom dwellers and if you troll while travelling, there is no reason a pelagic should not jump on your lure.

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/10676/mpz_17.pdf

Cheers Phill

rat_catcher
15-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I have re-checked the green zoning drpete. the link is provided below. The island itself is not in a green zone but has green zones around it.
Looks like the Green Zone comes right up to the island on the north east side. I would definitely be careful around that area, but it does look like there is still plenty of reef and island outside the Green Zone. Have fun. Sounds like a great trip.

INDULGENCE
15-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Stayed there last year for 10 days. weather was windy all the time but still managed good diving and fishing.
We all suffered with ticks, the little buggers were still being found in strange places well after we came home. Take some medical supplies.The large centipeedes dont seem to worry you they just like to keep warm in your bed clothes.
Take somecare when diving or spearing out in front of the camp site there were a couple of rather large tigers that obviously have been fed with scraps from campers as they met us everytime we motored over the reef.
Definately dive the lagoon entrance if you get a chance.
September may be a better time than May for the wind.
Enjoy it and leave some fish for us as we are going back next year.

Wally