PDA

View Full Version : Workshops

PinHead
14-05-2007, 03:38 PM
During the rod building weekend we had a breif discussion regarding any other workshop type days that members may be interested in. Some topics suggested were knot tying, reel maintenance, navigation, maybe basic outboard maintenance. Any other suggestions...and beer drinking is not one of them..most members I have met are already proficient at this.

Marlin_Mike
14-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I would love a knot tying workshop.simple one dayer, BYO BBQ lunch maybe

Mike

juju
14-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Soft palstics would bring em out of the woodwork

Marlin_Mike
14-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I'd be willing to host a knot day

Mike

Blackened
14-05-2007, 04:34 PM
G'day

I think reel maintenance is a very good idea, actually they all are.

I do believe a morning BBQ down at a popular ramp an teaching ramp / boating ettiqute would be a good thing.

Dave

B_E_N
14-05-2007, 04:35 PM
yeh i agree with ju ju a soft plastics would be great for the beginers, maybe even a fly fishing workshop

kingtin
14-05-2007, 04:47 PM
G'day

I think reel maintenance is a very good idea, actually they all are.

I do believe a morning BBQ down at a popular ramp an teaching rap/boating ettiqute would be a good thing.

Dave

I'm no good at rapping ;D but if it's ramp etiquette that you're after, then I'll do the teaching, but if anyone doesn't trailer and get off the ramp real quick, I'll smash their face in! ;) :P ;D

kev

Blackened
14-05-2007, 05:10 PM
G'day

Haha perfect kev....you're hired!!!

Dave

fez
14-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Kev,

Count me in I would love to see you rapping (better start learning now;D ), I will even make sure I am off the ramp before you make it to the bottom, if it allows me more time to watch you rapping!!!;D ;D ;D

Fez

Black_Rat
14-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Knot tying and Rigs for different species would be good :)

Tangles
14-05-2007, 08:15 PM
like Damo , definitely knot tying and rigs;D
mike

sid_fishes
14-05-2007, 08:21 PM
why am i so different, i was thinking navigation. but im a bit different from the rest

Owen
14-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I reckon the things that would work best in this type of format would be knot tying, throwing a cast net & filleting fish.

I think boat handling & maintenance are too specific to the persons own boat and also open up a can of worms if someone were to get hurt due to instruction they received.

finga
14-05-2007, 09:27 PM
why am i so different, i was thinking navigation. but im a bit different from the rest
Sounds good Ian.
I always wanted to be Christopher Columbus. :)

Owen may be right about maintenance. Bugger really because I'd be willing to show basic 12 volt house electrics.

kingtin
14-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Kev,

Count me in I would love to see you rapping

Fez

OK! It's a bit early for Xmas but I'll do it if you fetch your own glitzy paper and the coloured balls of string. ;D

kev

dogsbody
14-05-2007, 10:16 PM
I like the outboard idea could save a few bucks on a service.

Dave.

Lucky_Phill
14-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Good topic Greg and I reckon we'll come up with a couple of areas to be covered with lots of interest shown already.. definately knot tying is one..... cast net throwing... another. Ya just need someone who is proficient at those to do the job ::)

Cheers phill

B_E_N
15-05-2007, 10:23 AM
ill throw out all the ideas in my head, lure making, fly tying, fish taxidermy, cast net repair (comes in handy) maybe even crab pot construction, making your own sinkers and jig heads?? im sure i could spurt out more, but id like to know some of the skills required for those tasks.

ben

webby
15-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Learning about the species you target so your not in that 10%

PinHead
15-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Learning about the species you target so your not in that 10%

Are you volunteering to do one on species targetting in the Bay ???
Might be able to find a black can to get you thru.

webby
15-05-2007, 07:07 PM
or
Learning to drive a big cruiser ????
Learning what tackle to take on it ?????
Learning to use Plas#@$%$ but not at Wello ????

PinHead
15-05-2007, 07:09 PM
or

haha...I wish I could find someone to teach me to drive one.

I usually take tackle but never hooks when a bunch of old blokes are on board.

Now..please answer my question...hehe

Marlin_Mike
15-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I have wanted to do a knot/rigging lines for different species M&G for a while. so ill bite the bullet and say i'll organize and host it. Give me a couple of days to get something together and i'll post more by the weekend

Mike

PinHead
15-05-2007, 09:06 PM
onya Mike...glad you know someone proficient in all the knots...I don't...I am useless at most of them.

dogsbody
15-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Make it bloody quick Mike I'm goin to the swains next month and i haven't done a

great deal of outside fishing. ;D ;D I'm excited :).

Dave.

Marlin_Mike
16-05-2007, 05:54 AM
onya Mike...glad you know someone proficient in all the knots...I don't...I am useless at most of them.

I dont know anyone Pinhead but will surely try and get someone. And i too am useless at alot of knots.

"If you cant tie knots tie lots they say......." ;D :P ;)

Will post somethign in M&G section on the weekend

Mike

cabfisher
16-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Hi So when and where are we going to have this it sounds like a good idear

Ausfish
16-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Don't forget that some Knots and How to throw a castnet are on the site in video format. Nothing can beat one on one tuition, but in the mean time you can view them at the links below. Could easily do the castnet and knots on the same day.

Animated fishing knots - http://www.ausfish.com.au/knots/

How to throw a castnet - http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/

Would also be willing to do some video footage of the day and put it on the site for those that can not make it to the workshop.

Noelm
16-05-2007, 07:59 AM
where would all this take place?? my guess is somewhere on the Sunshine Coast? I may be able to help with some folks (including me) to do some of the things mentioned, even though I am not in that area (or even same state) but I do get up there a bit, know a couple of Outboard guys, a net repairer guy and can do most navigation stuff and splicing and so on, but of course timing is the important thing for me.

DR
16-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe we could have a "Soft Plastics & Stress Management" ::)

Mtx
16-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Sp's
Cast Net Throwing
Knots
Fishing 101 ( basics to catch decent ones)

finga
16-05-2007, 01:12 PM
where would all this take place?? my guess is somewhere on the Sunshine Coast? I may be able to help with some folks (including me) to do some of the things mentioned, even though I am not in that area (or even same state) but I do get up there a bit, know a couple of Outboard guys, a net repairer guy and can do most navigation stuff and splicing and so on, but of course timing is the important thing for me.
Mike is in the bayside area.
Is a tangle a fancy knot??

DR
16-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Mike is in the bayside area.
Is a tangle a fancy knot??

yes, if done properly they will never come undone,

Marlin_Mike
16-05-2007, 02:32 PM
yes bound to be bayside based on the day. I Will post in M&G section on the weekend with date etc.
Doesnt matter what date i suppose you will never get a date everyone agrees on or can make it on. So i will pick a date and if you can come great if not so be it.

Mike

B_E_N
16-05-2007, 03:20 PM
maybe i could lend my skills throwing a cast net in the (better) over the shoulder tech.

BigE
16-05-2007, 03:21 PM
how about useing your sounder 101............ as the sounder readings would be one of the longer threads on ausfish. (if we can find an expert, cause my sounder still lies to me)

BigE

trophee
20-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Maybe learning what the depth part of the sounder is for - pinhead thinks it is for extra lighting on the screen.

finga
20-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Maybe learning what the depth part of the sounder is for - pinhead thinks it is for extra lighting on the screen.
Gees you not going to let 'him' get off too lightly are you Miss Trophee. ;D

longtail
20-05-2007, 08:13 PM
i would be happy to share my knife sharpening skills if anyone wants to learn the right way to sharpen a knife.

Jason.

Great White
20-05-2007, 08:16 PM
or
Learning to use Plas#@$%$ but not at Wello ????

LOL Webby all good topics ;D My shrine is in go forward mode you could do the opening honours and then a quick talk on the Bay.

We may need to hire chairs to house the hundreds that will want to turn up ;)

dogsbody
21-05-2007, 09:31 PM
i would be happy to share my knife sharpening skills if anyone wants to learn the right way to sharpen a knife.

Jason.

This would be a good one. Nothing more dangerous than a blunt knife.

Dave.

hungry6
21-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't mind learning how to repair gelcoat, Hrmmmm where is "grand marlin"
This would save a few dollars for me and anyone else who has the same skill level as me in driving the boat onto the trailer in a crosswind

Owen
21-05-2007, 09:41 PM

Jason.

Found myself a genuine arkansas stone the other day.
Was buried under a pile of rocking horse poo ;D

roz
22-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I think Greg could combine navigation & knots without even trying... but I doubt we could all be as good as him.

I would be up for the navigation and reel maintenance, I have two Alveys that have not been opened up in quite a long time, possibly years!!

roz

PinHead
22-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I think Greg could combine navigation & knots without even trying... but I doubt we could all be as good as him.

I would be up for the navigation and reel maintenance, I have two Alveys that have not been opened up in quite a long time, possibly years!!

roz

after last weekend Phill and I both need navigation lessons...I cannot tie a granny knot.

rob tranter
22-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Hmm Cast net throwing/casting?
That would be a sick bird down here in gods own state.
So does that mean all your Q/land knots would also be useless to us Welshmen?::) They only good for rigging up to catch Queensland fish.;D
All topics sound great, me personnelly, the art of retrieving a soft plastic would be the go.
But knot tieing would not be completely useless, seeing as how I am definitely completely useless at tieing knots, well remembering what knot and how too.
Anything to do with fishing is fine by me especially if I can attend:)
Rob8-)