PDA

View Full Version : Why the Pricing Secrecy?

rat_catcher
14-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Why such the big secret around prices of engines and boats?

Why can't manufacturers just publish RRP prices so consumers can get an idea and compare data.

I am trying to research the cost of engines for a possible repower project and it is very frustrating that I have to ring multiple different dealers to get the data and then get the run around by the dealers when the whole project might not even go through.

I am not talking about publishing dealer prices, just the RRP so decisions can be made at a macro level first before digging depper into a specific solution.

This applies to both engines and boats.

Why can't I go to and engine or boat manufacturer website and see RRP prices?

Why does it all have to be so secret?? >:(

Noelm
14-05-2007, 12:56 PM
you can get an RRP easy, but no one would ever buy a boat/motor whatever at full RRP, that is only what is recomended by the manufacturer to give a dealer a good sustainable profit margin, but as in all things, people undercut each other to get a sale, the buyer benefits and the dealer goes out backwards (sometimes) the cheapest is not always the best on purchase, I know a small family run business that sells and services TV's and stuff, their price is higher than the "discounters" but they deliver and install for free, teach you how to use it, and will fix it if it craps itself sometime in the future, so over all their deal is much better than the first off discounted price from a supermarket and then you have to some how jam it in your car to get it home and unpack and set it up yourself, geees I got carried away there didn't I! so best for you (to get back to where I started) is sure, ring around for prices and let the dealer "experience" be the last factor in your purchase.

finding_time
14-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Same reason the real estate agents dont put prices in the windows anymore. They want there salesmen and women to meet you ,get your mobile and start telling you why there's is a better product!! If you ring a real estate to inquire about a price , the agent wont be in and will have to give you a call back , so you leave your mobile number and he rings you back, well the agent was most likely right beside the phone.>:( It gives me the sh!ts

I think they have a been to see the same sales guru's lecture,

I had the same problem with car salesmen, you go and see them ,they sit you down and right up this huge proposal " to get YOU the best price" then when you try to beat them down they have to go a see the boss out the back::) What BS they know the lowest they are allowed to go, all the rest is a gimic to get you in, not me that's when i walk out.. It's funny seeing the salesman race across the lot trying to get you back inside, it's even funnier when you tell him your not into STUNTS and you going to the other dealer across town.;D They dont feel so slick any more..

What i now do with cars it decide what i want ( colour, extra's and everthing) right it all out and email it to every dealer on the eastcoast. They all know then that there competeing with every other dealer, you get a great deal, my brother saved 4500.00 of the brisbane dealers so called "BEST PRICE" on a new desiel prado, the vehicle was sold to him by a melbourne dealer who included the vehicles transport to brisbane in the agreed price. maybe this would work with boats as well.

Ian

blaze
14-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I go in and ask for their best price, its there only chance to give the price (no option on second price or try to sweeten deal) what do I get for that price (re service etc). If I am happy I buy if not I walk away. Had a few chase me down the road offering a better deal as I go to the business next door and have just as often done the deal first up.
chheers
blaze

Flex
14-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Always always always buy a motor from a large turn over marine place. Their prices are tons cheaper than some dinky out of the way place. I got my new outboard $1100 cheaper from a large joint in the city compaired to the places further north where I live. Even then I got prices of up to $500 difference between some of the bigger suppliers in town. also ask if they have any of last years stock. you can usually save a crap load of money buy buying a 2006 model than a 2007. and they are usually nearly the same build

Deiter
14-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Totally agree Ian. Ringing around generally doesn't get you the best price. Standing there looking at the salesman and telling him, "Well, look, thanks for your time, but i am not a buyer at that price", then starting to walk out the door will get them to cut the crap and start start doing their best deals. When they see you are a genuine buyer and you start walking, sit back and watch the mayhem unfold. For some reason it warms my heart to no end seeing sales scum stutter and twitch to get your business.

Otherwise, sorry mate - can't answer your question. If i see any add with POA, i don't even bother. normally means they are too embarassed to publish it.

Damo

Noelm
14-05-2007, 01:54 PM
hehe, on the car thing, my mate used to always get their best cash, no trade prive, then after that was settled he would tell them he now has a trade in! that way he new what the deal really was becuase of no $2,000 dollar extra, then offer 2 grand over what the trade was really worth. so I guess you need to know what X item is worth to YOU, then shop around, if the first guy is OK with price, service and so on, go for it, if not just move on to another dealer (of course you must be realistic in your price)

DR
14-05-2007, 02:30 PM
hehe, on the car thing, my mate used to always get their best cash, no trade prive, then after that was settled he would tell them he now has a trade in! that way he new what the deal really was becuase of no $2,000 dollar extra, then offer 2 grand over what the trade was really worth. so I guess you need to know what X item is worth to YOU, then shop around, if the first guy is OK with price, service and so on, go for it, if not just move on to another dealer (of course you must be realistic in your price)

that doesn't always work. tried that a few years ago, got a great cash deal & then asked how much for my vehicle as a trade, was offered $7000 on a vehicle that was worth $16000 on any given day..i laughed he came up with all sorts of BS. I rang him 2 days later & told i got my 16000 trade & a better price on the car at another dealer ;D;D;D

Noelm
14-05-2007, 03:18 PM
thats is correct, as if you did not get a good "cash" price, they could have added any amount to up your trade value, in all trade in related deals, the change over price is ALL that is relevant, does not matter purchase and trade in price, just how much is coming out of your wallet

rat_catcher
14-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Guys I understand all of this. The bits about street price vs RRP. Haggling and asking for the 'best' price. Having to call so they can try to do the 'deal' on you. etc. etc.

BUT......

My issue is that I have no idea where to start when I cannot cannot compare RRP.

Once I decide on the engine/boat I want then I will ring all the dealers of that combination, but when I am just trying to decide whether I look at Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda and then 150hp vs 175hp I need to start with RRP to narrow down the options.

I went to a Suzuki/Signature dealer and know they have a document with all of the prices in it, but they would not let me see it or have a copy. It is just a HUGE waste of my time having to chase all of this information up!

lee8sec
14-05-2007, 04:40 PM
It appears to be a bit of a "closed shop" with the bigger outboards, no RRP & no $$$ in dealer adds. Smaller sized ones they put prices in adds. They must work on the old rolls system " if you need to ask you can't afford it" Leigh

finding_time
14-05-2007, 04:46 PM
. It is just a HUGE waste of my time having to chase all of this information up!

Yes but it's hard to avoid! you could ring a broker and they could do it for you, are there brokers out there that do boats and motors? I know using a car broker is a very popular method these days as they know the base rates.

Ian

ShayneD might know ! It could be worth PM him.

joeT
14-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Totally agree with Rat_Catcher, I'm overseas at the moment but trying to research what boat to buy when I come back, and its damn hard to get prices for anything. Most dealer websites are totally useless and often redirect a frame to the manufacturer's website which is also useless (in terms of publishing RRPs). The best way to find BMT package prices is from boat reviews but then they are sometimes a few years old and out of date...

mirage
14-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Great subject to bring up Rat Catcher. It drives me crazy, boats, motors, cars, trailers, houses...... it's all the same. No prices!
Look at almost any manufacturer in the US and they will have the rrp on their website.>:(

rat_catcher
15-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Look at almost any manufacturer in the US and they will have the rrp on their website.>:(
Agreed. I lived in the US for 5 years and have only been back in Australia for a little over 2 and am still trying to get my head around some of the arcane backwards ways things are done here! Seems a little third world sometimes..........

FNQCairns
15-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Agreed. I lived in the US for 5 years and have only been back in Australia for a little over 2 and am still trying to get my head around some of the arcane backwards ways things are done here! Seems a little third world sometimes..........

LOL gotta agree sometimes it is almost embarrassing when dealing with a seller of goods in this pond.
Almost universally it is better to purchase from O/S for confidence, once when I received a faulty product from the US (bit of a panic because I am used to dealing with OZ businesses), one email and they dispatched a new item airmail and said to if possible to use the faulty item unit the new arrived and to send it back if I could be bothered surface freight, all on my word only, when they received the faulty item credited my card with the postage back.

No way no how have I ever received anything but 'jump thru hoops' at some level when dealing in Australia.

Suspect they use 'divide and conquer' in conjunction with 'keep them in the dark' to keep prices at an overall high.

cheers fnq

Roo
15-05-2007, 10:52 AM
have a look at satisfaction marine website. they have RRP and their "best" price listed for boat, motor and trailer each separately. I've not seen this before on a website. not sure if the "best" price is any good but at least it will give you a start point.

cheers, Roo.

Smithy
15-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I also ran across a good site the other day. St Kilda boat sales for putting together Caribbean packages. Outboard, hull and trailer prices on the net! Amazing!

rat_catcher
15-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Yes I have seen both of the websites of Satifaction Marine and St Kilda Boat Sales and I agree this is the way forward. Especially the price packaging part of the St Kilda site.

I don't care if it is just RRP, but at least this gives me a starting point, otherwise you are just flying blind!