PDA

View Full Version : Length of boat for rego purposes?

FNQCairns
13-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Registering for the first time a boat tommorow in QLD, the manufacturer calls it a 5.8m on the plate but the overall is around 6.1 or so, anyone what is the length I need to put for these sods:).

Couldn't find the rule on their website.

Thanks and cheers fnq

Wahoo
13-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi fnq,
first of all we need pics LOL

your LOA is needed( not boat length) if you have a "fixed" bow spit, you measure the boat center line from that bow spit to your most futherist point of/ at the transom, if you have fixed duck boad you add that as well,if thats makes sense :-/

FNQ if needed i will PM you my number
Cheers
Daz

Brumby
13-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Asked the question at my local Qld Tport office, answer was hull length, excluding bowsprit and swim platform. Of course if I was borderline on 4.8m (lifejackets) or 8m (speed limits here on the 'Coast) I might be tempted to fudge it a little!

In your case 5.8m sounds like an easy answer

Cheers

Carl

finding_time
13-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Is it a well known brand of boat? If so once you tell Queensland transport the make and model the computer takes over and all the details come up on the screen so you mightn"t even have to worry about what to say;) This happen to me regards my southwind all i said was it's vin number and all the other details popped uponthe screen, and my boat was originally sold in Adelaide but QT still had all the details. BB is watching:-X

ian

fishingjew
13-05-2007, 09:31 PM
What about bolted on pod is this included in length?

FNQCairns
13-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the replies fella's, looks I am up for $37 extra in tax each year and to think I paid for the option (bowsprit) that allowed the extra cost option (tax), overall thats one expensive bowsprit over time!!

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
13-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Hang on.... what would the fine be? if anyone knows:) If I get away with 5.8 for 4 or years...break even?...it's just red tape with no meaning:)

cheers fnq

blaze
13-05-2007, 10:28 PM
cost the same in tassie to register a 12 foot tinnie or a 8m boat (non commercial) cost is $50
cheers
blaze

Poodroo
14-05-2007, 02:24 AM
I would just give them the plate info personally. The cost for rego as Blaze has already suggested is the same regardless. They are a strange department to deal with and they don't even need to see the boat. When I registered my 3.7 tinnie just a few weeks ago I told them it was a 3.7 metre but I could have told them it was a 4.2 and they still would have registered it regardless only the info that comes up on the rego slip would be inaccurate. The silly thing is they wanted to know the serial numbers of the old Mariner 25 that was on it and I knew for a fact that the mount where the plate was had been broken and re-welded right over the top of the plate so no serial number was visible. In the end there was a number on the actual motor and when I read that out to them they took it down and said "That will do!" Boat registered. For the life of me I cannot understand the importance of knowing the serial number of the motor because an outboard can be changed in an instant which will make the info out of date just as fast. In my case the Mariner had issues and I ended up putting a Tohatsu 25 on it and I will be buggered if I am heading back into the Department of Transport to fill in more forms and wait in queue to let them know about it. I probably should though for insurance reasons.

Poodroo

joeT
14-05-2007, 02:49 AM
I'd put down the manufacturer's quoted length, so 5.8m. If i remember correctly the rego cost is different for different length boats in queensland, although I think its something like under 4.5m and over 4.5m, not sure exact numbers.

Poodroo, I think they want serial numbers just for records, so that if they find a burnt out hull in the bottom of the ocean with no ID but with an outboard on it, they can run checks to see who its registered to. Your insurance company will ask you separately what the serial numbers are for your boat and motor but its probably good practice to update the numbers at Dept of transport (although that can be a pain).

Marlin_Mike
14-05-2007, 05:07 AM
I would think whats on manufacturers plate is sufficient.

Mike

FNQCairns
14-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the replies again, I noticed if it is registered as above 6m I can do away with the oars, the choice has come down to a financial one over time there is a saving in useless paddles for the 5.8 + not needing to deal with them just for regulation is nice. But what would the trigger happy authority take notice of? the plate or the rego, it's a mess, need robotic authorities on the water for confidence in their behaviour, they could book me for no oars as the plate is 5.8 yet the rego is 6.1!! Shheesh!

Daz will post a report with pics sometime when I blood the boat, not gunna pay for a jetseting international super model like you did:)

thanks and cheers fnq

FNQCairns
14-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Ok deal has been done, couldn't make solid ground due to the variable nature of rational in those I may be forced to meet on the water so went with the length that at least allows me to know where I stand, either in or out but no surprises:).

cheers fnq