PDA

View Full Version : koombooloomba ?

Dan5
12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
anyone fished there lately whats it like?is the road in ok to tow boat etc ive heard its really clear water mainly for sootys

TinarooTriumph
12-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Dan,

Let me guess... you saw the article in the latest GoFish mag?

Yeah I was there about a month back... pouring rain, 25kn winds, fog as thick as yoghurt - but thats typical for Koombooloomba this time of year. Got into a few nice Sooties on poppers and a mate and I lost 2 whoppers when they slammed our lures on the surface and dismantled our lure hardware. Road isn't in good nic... probably on the mend but the weather has turned grim the last week... only needs a few mil's of rain to turn the road into a hazard. Launching is still abit of a trouble... when the water level drops abit the Council should get started on the Ramp. Water clarity is still excellent as usual but is abit milky due to all the rain and crap on the surface... when the level drops the better. The Sooties will be all over the place with the Dam at 100%... when it gets lower they congregate heavily around the timber and rocky outcrops. The Barra there are easy to find... theres a few key spots where they always are.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Theo

Dan5
12-05-2007, 10:52 PM
well mate havnt read a fishin mag for about 5 years or so.A bloke i work with told me about it but said that he hasnt been there for a couple of years.Ive just moved here from darwin and was just lookin for somewhere out of the way sounds like a nice spot to have a look at

Bad_Bubby
15-05-2007, 05:54 PM
I've been there but haven't wet a line there yet. A few important things to consider:

- Avoid trying to take on the Tully Falls road from Ravenshoe to the dam without a 4wd, it is pretty poor. You would be the only non-4wd vehicle if you went there by car.
- It is about 220 km from Cairns from memory (if you take the Palmerston). Therefore you would think it is a 2hr drive but its not. The first 100km to the turn off takes 1hr, the next 80km on the Palmserston takes an hour and the last 30km after Ravenshoe takes an hour. It is impossible to tell it takes this long without getting advice.
- Don't worry too much about finding it, just remember to turn of at the Milstream trunoff at Ravenshoe. I found it easy.
- Bring a raincoat and a spare change of clothes incase you have to get stuck in the rain for a few hours.

A big effort for sooties.

Dan5
15-05-2007, 06:40 PM
yer sounds like a big effort but i think it might be worth a look only caught a couple before in the finnis and up stream on the daly and coming from darwin 3hrs isnt a big trip really thats what yer lookin at to do a daly river run then 70k down the river and then 70k back then drive home again!!!!! and ive dunit more times than i care to remember.

TinarooTriumph
15-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Dan,

Heres a good link which is worth a look. Bit old (did it last year) but it covers everything.

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Koombooloomba.htm

Theo