PDA

View Full Version : fishy work?

captain catty
12-05-2007, 08:59 AM
whats up everyone? ive been doing a job that i hate for the last 12 months in civil administration. i youst to work on charter boats out of southport and then worked for mono out of brunswick. I also did a stint in a tackle shop in sydney called fish outta water..........anyway the point being that i was working toward my fishy goals and something changed in me and i felt the need for more money......something that ive come to regret as i quit this horrible job.....i did the job in the first place to buy my boat.......but get this ...could barely ever use the bloody thing cause im working so much. I dont want to be a winger, what i would like is for any other stories of people that have given up chasing there dreams for the empty promise of a better life with more money? i mean really what more can you want in life but to have a crust of salt accross the week old beard smelling like the trash can outside of the crazy horse?;D post your stories and if you own a game boat and want a good deckie PM me.......;)

blaze
12-05-2007, 10:02 AM
15 years ago I chased big money, earnt it too but often worked 20 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Health suffered and hit burn out. Went on the dole for 12 months and done it bloody tough for money. Now in semi retirement (work on average 20hrs a week, some busier than others), only ever commit to 5 day weeks, week ends are mine and money cant buy them. Happy with older cars, boats and toys as I own them, to upgrade means work. My dad said to me when I was chasing big money that it wont make ya happy, so right he was.
life style is priceless.
cheers
blaze
ps
just add that I am earning about half what I did 15 years ago and have double the dollar in the bank

SgBFish
12-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Blaze you are deadright.
Somebody with 20 million in the bank is no happy than someone with 15 million.
As long as you have enough to meet your needs.

shaman
12-05-2007, 07:28 PM
21 years as a motor dealer 60-70 hrs a week, sh!tloads of $$$$$$$$$.
Sold the Bayliner, bought a tinny & semi-retired myself at 42, 30 hrs a week as a counter jumper. 2 years later got bored and mortgage was getting a bit tough (canal front home Paradise point). Went to sell real estate, more money, did alright for a newbie. Phone wouldn't stop ringing, no more weekend sports with kids, signing contracts at 11pm after negotiating for 4 hrs back and fro... no fishing aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggg hhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sold waterfront home $$$$$$$$$$ bought better dry block home with a view, debt-free yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa.

Now I'm back at shop, 30 hrs a week, more time with family, lunches with love of my life , beer, lifes good. Just need to get back to fishing, after I relax a bit more.

Thanks for reminding me how good life is without the Bullsh!t...........

dogsbody
12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Blaze you are deadright.
Somebody with 20 million in the bank is no happy than someone with 15 million.
As long as you have enough to meet your needs.

Yes but someone with 20 million is a lot happier than someone goin week to week.

Dave.

blaze
12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Yes but someone with 20 million is a lot happier than someone goin week to week.

Dave.

Sorry to disapoint ya dave but happiness is a state of mind, I can intoduce you to people that have not enough money for week to week living, they would also be the first to offer ya a hand and the shirt off their back and they are very happy with their lot in life
cheers
blaze

dogsbody
13-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes i agree happiness is a state of mind Blaze but are you suggesting that those people would not be happier knowing that there do not have to worry about the next bill and if the car sh!ts itself at the same time.

The people in your life are the most important and give you the greatest joy, but the fact that every gov dept and shop owner wants to help in your funds dispersing and there ain't no joy in that.

Dave.

kingtin
13-05-2007, 12:40 AM
21 years as a motor dealer 60-70 hrs a week, sh!tloads of $$$$$$$$$.
Sold the Bayliner, bought a tinny & semi-retired myself at 42, 30 hrs a week as a counter jumper. 2 years later got bored and mortgage was getting a bit tough (canal front home Paradise point). Went to sell real estate, more money, did alright for a newbie. Phone wouldn't stop ringing, no more weekend sports with kids, signing contracts at 11pm after negotiating for 4 hrs back and fro... no fishing aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggg hhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Sold waterfront home $$$$$$$$$$ bought better dry block home with a view, debt-free yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa.

Now I'm back at shop, 30 hrs a week, more time with family, lunches with love of my life , beer, lifes good. Just need to get back to fishing, after I relax a bit more.

Thanks for reminding me how good life is without the Bullsh!t...........

Shaman I needed that, thanks.

Held down 3 jobs (milko in the morning, delivering newspapers to newsagents in the arvo, and bar work in the evenings) trying to raise 3 kids, as my first missus suffered from bi-polar and never worked. She shot through leaving me with the 3 boys who I tried to raise on benefits, but luckily I met my deckie who warmed to them, and me;D and I was back in work

It's a long story but the first missus got the lot ........... She got the house (disabilty)., I got the kids and the debts...........and my deckie,http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_16.gif of course.

I was raised in care and the deckie's dad was always away with the Navy so we never wanted "latch key kids" who came home to an empty home whilst their parents were working. The deckie insisted that I gave up work and she would keep us.....lucky bastard eh? ;D At the same time, we also recognised that others, due to financial priorities, may have a different outlook to ours and that was their right and choice.

We came to Oz completely blind with only $18,000 12 yrs ago. We have a superb home, achieved on one income, that we could never have dreamed of in the UK even with two incomes.

Now, we learn that an inheritance will pay off what mortgage we have. Life couldn't be sweeter for most folk.

Unfortunately, I suffer from an anxiety state, and although in my saner moments, I realise how lucky I am, and how good this country has been to me, I often worry and fall into depression, despite recognising that I have it better than most

Lifestyle is everything to us. We love Oz, we love it's laid back people, and we also love the fact that sometimes, in a "lucky country", you have to create that luck.

We're blessed, and despite whatever problems we may have, we always acknowledge that it is Australia, and it's people who have blessed us.

You only live once. If you want the dream, then chase the money. If you want to be at peace with yourself and your partner, then chase what suits you both, but to repeat the old adage, "money can't buy you everything"

kev

Davemclean
13-05-2007, 12:50 AM
I personally couldn't have an office job, the extra money wold be nice, but I would go stir bleedin' crazy, lol, when I have the money together to move to Oz, I have already decided I want to get into animal rescue work, or something similair

blaze
13-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Yes i agree happiness is a state of mind Blaze but are you suggesting that those people would not be happier knowing that there do not have to worry about the next bill and if the car sh!ts itself at the same time.

The people in your life are the most important and give you the greatest joy, but the fact that every gov dept and shop owner wants to help in your funds dispersing and there ain't no joy in that.

Dave.

thats what I mean dave

Mad-One
13-05-2007, 07:42 AM
I know a woman who won 13million and with in a few months was as miserable as hell. She soon learnt she had material friends but basically no real friends. In earnt the big money and the small money and I'm more happier on the small money as I don't tend to live beyond my means. As long as I have food on the table a roof over my head a wife that loves me and kids that respect me what more do I need in life. To many people with money have only false happiness and false friends see where they all go if ya go broke.
My opinion anyway

Mad

Flex
13-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Unfortunately people gauge success in our society by "what you do" for a job. I have never known what I want to do or "be". I live for my leisure time, I work to do the things I like to do outside of work. I.e fishing.

Its simply amazing how many people you meet in life who have NO hobbies what so ever. Im guessing 80% of the population has no hobbies they pursue, therefor to give their lives meaning they focus on work and measure their success on what they do. I find these same poeple dont understand why others are happy in a lesser paying job.

EG: I am a qualified school teacher and came to central QLD to work. Instead I got a job in the mines as a Trade assistant, I get loads more money, less stress and more time off to do the things I love. Yet alot of friends and family lookdown on the situation because im perceived to be a "lowly TA" and not a "school teacher".... wierd huh?

If your in a situation where you get to do what you love doing more often than not, then thats what I call success

shaman
13-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm proud of what my wife & I have achieved and I admit I used to feel a tad paranoid about telling people what I do for a living now but now I don't really give a rat's. My wife and kids are smiling and happy even though sometimes the bills are bigger than the income but their smiles are what is important to me.
I know what I am capable of and I have proof ( 16 years ago after my first marriage broke down we came to QLD with no $$$$$$$, only a $500 Ford Laser that broke down 4 times on the way up here) not bragging, don't have to ............................. just thankful to the universe.

WHALEOIL
14-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Wow kingtin, I thought I had written most of that post and not remembered so. One Bi polar partner = 2 very depressed people.