PDA

View Full Version : Jig head weight

aadam
11-05-2007, 06:49 PM
hi guys
i am new to soft plastics and looking at buying a few packets of darter style jig heads for use on bream, flatties etc, may even get a run on bass. I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions on the range of head weights i should be looking for. What weight is the most commonly used by yourself
thankyou
aadam

oddbudman
12-05-2007, 07:21 PM
If your Bream and Flathead fishing you can't go wrong with 1/8oz TT jigheads on 1/0 size hooks. This would me my most used SP jighead, and the one I make sure I always have spares of in my tacklebox.

Great for 3" sized powerbaits and gulps.

oddbudman

bert
13-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Try squidgy finesse jig heads they also come in resin head .I have found these to be great when using squidgy flick baits they are also a bit cheaper than other brands.

Cheers Rob

juju
13-05-2007, 08:30 PM
This mth Modern Fishing Mag has a section on jig heads, they profile 511 heads heap of info there:)

aadam
14-05-2007, 05:07 PM
thanks guys
picked up one packet of 1/8 TT's today for starters, and also got the mag mentioned. Havnt had chance to read it yet
thanks for the advice
aadam

JT
14-05-2007, 08:55 PM
G'day Aadam,

As far as breamin goes weight will depend on water depth and current flow. When we are fishing canals etc up to about 2 metres deep around moored boats, jetties and pontoons we use as light as 1/50th hidden weights, (TT and Berkley Nitro jigs), depending on the sink rate you require try 1/40th, 1/32 1/24 and 1/16th both in hidden weight, ball and darter heads styles.

In faster flowing water or deeper water you can use up to 1/6th, but for me 1/16th, 1/12th are more usual.

I guess the rule would be (IMO) use as light a weight as you can get away with to get the lure to where the fish are holding. Some days they are just under the surface or they might be on the bottom, as soon as you crack the pattern stick to it (until the bream change it again).

For flatties I use as light as 1/16th and as heavy as 5/8th, again depending on how deep and how fast the water is flowing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John