PDA

View Full Version : Poly boat

steve bart
11-05-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm thinking about buying a 5.99 polyboat cuddy cab with a 150 Honda. Does anybody own one or have any information. I mostly do off shore fishing and I currently have a yalta odessa 20 with a 150 Yamaha two stoke. Any advice would be apprectiated.
Regards Steve Bart :-/

Noelm
11-05-2007, 08:52 AM
ggeeesss this should start something, you will never get a clear winner on this! there will be 1/3 who will say get an Alloy boat, andother 1/3 who will have nothing but glass, then the others will say get a poly, it comes down to this, do you like it? does it suit your needs/use? then go for it, they are not my cup of tea, but I do not see any reason not to own one! and on the motor same thing, 1/3 get an etec or some other 2 stroke, 1/3 get a 4 stroke, the rest will be split on the brands and argue that theirs is best, they are ALL good go for the "Dealer experience" close by, good workshop service area, good parts and good service.

Marlin_Mike
11-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Wheelis Bins on Water!!!! :)

Gotta agree Noelm, not my cup of coffee either, but cant see why you wouldnt buy one.

As for motors, all are great while they are going, if they break down, you bag em......

Mike

FNQCairns
11-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Why are you changing? Is it because of the 2 stroke? The Yalta is a better boat, repower the yalta.
I have been for a very short trip in the big poly and it is pretty good, but is there something else you are specificly chasing in the polly over the yalta?

cheers fnq

fez
11-05-2007, 09:58 AM
No problems with them, if they suit what you want to do then buy one. There are some big advantages to them, but I am sure that you have come across them when researching them. I bought the 5.3 Cuddy and couldn't be happier, it suits what I wanted it for.

Completley upto you, good luck.

Cheers,
Fez

bushbeachboy
11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Have a look on www.polyboatowners.com (http://www.polyboatowners.com) for some more info.

PWCDad
11-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I looked briefly at the Polyboats but went aluminium for our new boat. To be honest I was bit ... well .... wheelie bin also .

Recently, I spoke to the ice-cream guy on the Broadwater with the red Streets ice-cream poly boat . He is rapped .. . you mark it and its still red and he says tough as nails ... must be years old ..my guess is 4-5 yrs or more.

The Yamaha motor on the back (60 hp 4 stroke ) still has original plugs in at 650 hrs on the motor !!!

The boat doesnt get nursed ... it has to do a job, from bashing into pontoons to many, many beachings a day to sell ice-creams to the kids (and the odd parent) !!

I'm not saying I'd get one but they deserved to be factored in a boat purchase these days.

No electroloysis and/or gelcoat scratches or osmosis ....MMMMMmmmmm !!!

Regards
PWCDad

Roo
11-05-2007, 11:02 AM
they are no Paris Hilton (apparently too beautiful to go to prison!!), but they sure are tough. I like that so i got one (a poly not a Paris). like I say not pretty, but tough.

actually Paris isn't pretty either.........but i dare say popular(in prison too;))

doublexl
11-05-2007, 12:32 PM
I,d Love To See Those Plugs,650 Hours

steve bart
11-05-2007, 12:49 PM
The yalta is a 86 mod and i was after a new boat with 4 stoke regards steve

GBC
11-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I don't think you'd get a better offshore boat for the money.

The 5.99 is a big lump of a thing.

davez104
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
If you like your current boat and it has no major structural problems, you might get better value by repowering it with a new 4 stroke. It would be a shame to get rid of the Yalta only to find the wheelie bin doesn't live up to your expectations. If there are things you don't like about the Yalta, then go for it.

Dave.

Pirate_Pete_Tas
11-05-2007, 03:43 PM
I just got a 5.3 Cuddy Cab with a 115 2St Johno on the back & love it http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=109473

FNQCairns
11-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi Steve if that is the case it would be worth including the big poly, I was in one with winds gusting to 25kn with about 25km worth of fetch in the waves, and it did nothing wrong flexed heaps was real quiet, was wet (it was windy) and was quite soft in ride considering, like a 18-20deg deadrise good glass boat of near the same length, this poly must have been heavy. It also had a 140zuk on it.

If glass is out for a new boat the big poly is a contender IMO, it also had lots of room:).

cheers fnq

PWCDad
11-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I,d Love To See Those Plugs,650 Hours

Yeah me also ! But should be possible ..the motor is only 18 months old !

Regards
PWCDad

manchild
11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Steve if you after practicality and toughness go for the poly ,there is nothing even comes close.On the other hand if looks is more important go glass.I choosed mine for for above reasons and its served me well.I think i would have sunk a few tinnies by now with the same treatment.Never mind those wheelie bin comments,after all my DOGDISH IS MADE OF TIN:P
CHEERS
George

juju
11-05-2007, 07:03 PM
I looked at one...then went alloy....just didnt excite me.....they reckon that they are tough as nails...depends i suppose on how you want to treat it.....you might enjoy belting it with a hammer....something the owners always seem so proud to tell you

manchild
11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Juju its about breamfishing close to rocks and/or on top of rocky bottom in shallow water.The hammertest is just showing its toughness and its silly a little bit,altough you welcome to a comparison test any time.

Spaniard_King
11-05-2007, 07:31 PM
We use a couple of pollies at my(comercially used boats in survey) work for there easy on staff. They are a good thing but I have a problem with anything that is mounted on the boat. Here is a test for you.. get a screw and screw it into your wheely bin then get some pliers and rip it out,, this is the problem. Everything in a polly boat "SHOULD" be bolted with nut and bolt, not screwed in. IMO it will only be a matter of time before screws pull out. Next time you look at the polly think about how you can bolt stuff in.. then count up how many spin offs you will need to gain acces to the nuts :P

Garry

manchild
11-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks Garry ,what screwes was used ?So i can avoid them in the future.So far so good on mine.Sorry about hijacking your thread Steve by the way.
George

Spaniard_King
11-05-2007, 08:29 PM
manchild,

we used 316 pan head and csk 8,10 and 12 gauge screws which all pulled out eventually. Don't forget our boats are comercial boats in the sense they are not worked hard but are used by a lot of different people and animals :) You really need to bolt everything in these boats.

Garry

billfisher
11-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I use self tapping screws on a lot of my fittings on my poly. No problems so far. The plastic actually grips the screw and so makes a very strong connection. I have a couple of rod holders on the bow mounted more or less horizontally. I clipped the wharf one day comming back in with one of the rod holders. I put a good bend in the S/S screw but there was no sign of it comming out of the poly!

I spoke to someone who saw a demonstration at Polycraft of a car being lifted of the ground, support by a piece of poly with just two tapping screws connecting it to the car.

rumy1
11-05-2007, 09:04 PM
"I spoke to someone who saw a demonstration at Polycraft of a car being lifted of the ground, support by a piece of poly with just two tapping screws connecting it to the car."

I have saw the same test as above !!!

I have a glass boat and have to check the screws all the time, I suppose most people conduct checks all the time ? Part of owning boats isn't it ?
Anyways, I was going to get a 5.3 poly but because there is very little storage room in them and I wasn't really fused on the look of the cuddy version I bought a glass boat ..... plus my missus up'ed my budget by $10 000 .... what a great wife !
What ever boat you get you'll love it ..... just don't scrimp on the motor and be under powered ! More power means more fun ! I had a Cruisecraft 4.75 Regal with a 60 2st on the back ... 19knots flat out ...... so slow ! Now I have a Haines Signature 5.42 with a Suzuki 140 .....it flies and I love it !

phewy
11-05-2007, 11:16 PM
This the one guys??

http://members.optusnet.com.au/paulhew/newpolycraft/polyscrewedliftcar.jpg

ozscott
12-05-2007, 10:35 AM
I wondered about repairs to polyboats. For example when you remove things and want to fill holes, do you have to live with sikaflex or can you do a hard fix using fiberglass bog?

bay_firey
12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
ozscott

Little bit of the poly and apply some heat and the whole is gone

ozscott
12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
sweet........