PDA

View Full Version : Jackaroo Won't start

Angla
10-05-2007, 11:04 PM
The Jackaroo has a problem. It's a 99 model 3.0 Turbo Diesel.

The problem is that I can turn it over a lot with the starter motor and eventually it will idle roughly. When you put your foot on the accelerator while it is doing this, it has no effect on the revs what so ever.

Just before this happened, 24 hours approx, I was sitting at traffic lights and it just stopped for no apparent reason. I started it again without problem.

Does anybody have a suggestion as to where to start looking for the problem as it has me stumped.

Chris

finding_time
10-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Fuel!!!

it's either fuel or air but i'm betting fuel. Diesels just dont generally stop, have you run out or low on fuel recently? Hows the fuel pump?

Ian

Angla
10-05-2007, 11:31 PM
I have over 1/2 a tank at the moment.

I have in the last month done 4 trips of 7 hours to Yeppoon and back. In these trip I had once when we ran pretty low on fuel but never ran out. She purred like a kitten all the way but I have noticed a small leak from around the head or exhaust manifold that seems to be oil like.

Chris

Reel Hard
11-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Sounds like it might be the fuel stop solenoid.
Check electrical conections or the shut off mechanism.

Angla
11-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Ian, Reel hard thanks.

Where can I find that?

When I turn on the ignition should I be able to hear the fuel pump somewhere?

Chris

Far side
11-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Check the water bleed on the filter if you have emptied the tank you may have pulled some dregs up into the water trap where the fuel filter is
there should be a valve on the bottom

you will need to pump and prime the system once you are done
Its all about fuel and air when you fix
Anything else the diesel mechanic is the go unless you are really handy

With respect to the fuel pump its on the side of the motor and usually driven by a timing belt or gear you dont here it when you turn on the ignition.

gone_fishing
11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
sounds like a fuel prob
is it hard to start all the time ?
or just when cold
when cranking over check to see if it is blowing smoke if it is that means fuel is going through the system
after the motor starts and idles ok how does it go
check all your connections on the fuel system sounds to be sucking air
also try cracking the fuel cap when you stop after a trip to relive any vacuum in the tank ic case breather is playing up (dont think that is the prob but have to work through senerios to see )
cheers

Awesome
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Check your oil level on ya dipstick.there is a good chance it will be way overfull.
The cause will be the injector o'rings leaking fuel into the engine oil ,or it can also leak engine oil into the fuel system causing it to be hard to start.The injectors use high pressure engine oil to inject fuel into the combustion chamber.The engine will be trying to run on oil instead of fuel initially. thats why it chugs
It is normally hard to start first up in the morning & ok after that when engine is hot.
Has it had the injector recall 06-H-04? Check for a sticker on your RH b'pillar.

This is a very common problem with 4JX1 Jackaroo's

It is also important to only use a 5/30 to 10/30 grade diesel oil because any thicker & it is too hard to get thru the injector and will cause a hard to start problem,more so when cold

Hope this helps .

gone_fishing
11-05-2007, 07:52 PM
hey awsome
are these motors hydralic lifters like the newer verisons
incorrect oil viscosity ?

Awesome
11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
gone Fishing
They are Common Rail Diesel engines.they don't have hydraulic lifters.
They are a bucket /shim tappet set up if thats what you mean.

gone_fishing
11-05-2007, 08:10 PM
yeah
you reminded me of a rodeo (new that wont start after the next day after a service) they used the incorrect vis oil too thick once cold struggled to fill the lifters to open the valves
didnt think that was the case here
more a lack of fuel presure /draining back or sucking air
thanks

Awesome
11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Gone Fishing,
Diesel Rodeo's have adjustable tappets and are not hydraulic. Incorrect viscosity wont effect starting on these engines.
Sounds more like air in fuel system.

Angla
12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Sorry for taking so long.

I found the fuel filter and it has a bleed bolt and a manual push pump on it's top.

So what I did was to crank the motor but it would not start at all. I then pumped the pump about 30 times and then tried to start it again and it started first kick then died.
I then got serious with the pump and tried again with success and the engine run and kept running. I then drove off to streets auto for a new filter and returned to replace that.
Put it all back together and primed the filter and she's a goer now.
Going to tow the bikes to Gatton (from Brisbane) and return so I should see if that has fixed the problem or not.
Thanks for all the help

It has done about 3500 Km since the last service so I am ruling out incorrect oil due to the running time it has had.

The only thing unusual that I have done to the vehicle is that I have removed the heater water circuit due to a leak in the heater radiator and I have taken 1 of the hoses that goes to the fire wall and connected it straight back to the motor which has just simply made a loop hose of the 2 connections from the motor and this loop hose is kinked. Does anyone think this may be a cause of the problem. I would think water only flows in this hose when the heater is on, so the kink would not matter. The motor never ran low on water in the radiator.

Chris

Blackened
13-05-2007, 10:25 AM
The only thing unusual that I have done to the vehicle is that I have removed the heater water circuit due to a leak in the heater radiator and I have taken 1 of the hoses that goes to the fire wall and connected it straight back to the motor which has just simply made a loop hose of the 2 connections from the motor and this loop hose is kinked. Does anyone think this may be a cause of the problem. I would think water only flows in this hose when the heater is on, so the kink would not matter. The motor never ran low on water in the radiator.

Chris

G'day

I'm not sure of the setups on this particular car... but I did the same modification with my old hilux, ie. disconnecting the heater.

The heater tap was on the firewall, that means that creating a loop back into the engine and by passing this tap.... you have no control on turning it on or off, the coolant will continually flow through this loop.

But wether a kinked hose may be the problem? I do not know.

Dave

Reel Hard
14-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Sounds Like The Pump Is Losing Its Head Pressure Due To The Relief Valve Leaking Off. It Will Usualy Need To Be Pumped Up Again After Sitting For A While.
They Usualy Do Not Cost To Much.

hooknline
17-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Mate got a sugestion for you, put some clear hose on the intake and the return side this will soon tell you if you got air in the line. Any white smoke when it starts after it cranks for a long time. These things had a lot of trouble with the o-rings around the injector nozzles. Also the injectors are open mechanicaly (oil presure) so yes if the wrong oil is fitted it may cause problems. Let me know how you go.

Angla
19-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks to all for the thoughts as to the problem.

It seems to have gone away for now. It ran well for the 1 3/4 hour trip to Gatton and the return was fine too. It has sat for the rest of the week and started fine today for a short run around town.

It has had the Holden Recall done around about 18 months ago when they first notified of the recall for the injector fault. Windsor Holden said I was the first to act upon the recall notice in their area.

As far as smoke goes, I have never seen any amounts of smoke coming from the exhaust.:)

Chris

hooknline
20-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Yeah sorry for all th bla bla didn't even read the other threads. Good to hear it ok though.