PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki NMEA Engine Interface

leezor
10-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Today I installed the Suzuki NMEA 2000 engine interface which I ordered from the US.
The installation was pretty straight forward, though I had to remove the side cover from my DF225 and cut the hydraulic line to my steering to route the NMEA cable. Though that wasn't a problem, the dealer where I got the engine gave some replacement fittings, thanks guys :)

The interface cable connects directly to the engines ECU (as pictured), there is also a second connector which displays engine trim on the NMEA 2000 network. I decided not to connect this up and use the Suzuki analog gauge for now.
There are no paddle wheels or cutting into fuel lines as Suzuki interface cable gets all info directly from the ECU.

I have all NMEA 2000 info displayed onto my Lowrance Globalmap 3500c, it displays plenty of details such as engine hours, lt/per hour, k/m per litre, fuel remaining, cylinder temp plus heaps more.

Though I havn't water tested the system yet, it did register fuel flow at idle which is something that my previous fuel flow system struggled to do.

Let mw know if anyone needs any further info on this setup.

Cheers,

Lee

Spaniard_King
10-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Very impressive Leezor, looks a terrific setup

Garry

Spaniard_King
10-05-2007, 08:38 PM
should have asked... what sort of $$ to do that?

cheers

Garry

leezor
10-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Hi Garry,

The interface, cables and tee pieces etc cost me $350 which included freight from the US. On top of that you need a device which can display the info, in my case I used the Globalmap 3500c.
Last time I checked the Suzuki NMEA 2000 interface cable was not availiable from Australian distributors, though I imagine we should be able to get them in the next 15 years or so....;)

Spaniard_King
10-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi Leezor,

did you get this stuff through suzuki or through Lowrance and do you know if it will interphase with another brand of display.. for eg Furuno

Garry

leezor
10-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Garry,

I got the gear from a Suzuki Dealer in the US, the interface cble is a Lowrance product however I called lowrance in Australia with the part numbers and got some blank responses from them.
Anyway, it was easy enough to import the gear I needed. I believe the NMEA 2000 network is available with other manufacturers, however the unit displaying the details must have the appropriate fuel management software included. Lowrance do a couple of multi-function gauges capable of displaying the fuel management / engine info which are quite reasonably priced.

Cheers,
Lee

whichway
10-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Hmm

I rang Haines about this a few weeks ago and they told me it was only available on the latest 300 hp motor. Has anybody ever heard of a salesman not understanding their product? :-/

Whichway

Greg P
11-05-2007, 05:40 AM
Good stuff Lee

I posted a question about that in Electronics a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=109189

Seems to be a bit of confusion as to which earlier zuke engines can run it as well.

You can pick up that sensor for about $60 US but those Lowrance NMEA connection are dear.

Cheers

Greg

leezor
12-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi Greg,
Yeah the bits and pieces all add up, but once you have the backbone of the network setup it is quite economical to add to it. Things will be a lot easier when we can purchase locally.

Whichway, mate got the same response from Haines when I was having a whinge about the crappy Faria Commander gauges that came with my engine, he knew about the SMIS (Suzuki Modular Instrument System, made by Lowrance) setup but as you said they were only available with the new DF300. He was hopeful that the SMIS should be available for other model engines in Australia sometime in 2008.

Lee

honda900
12-05-2007, 12:41 PM
To all,

NMEA 2000 is a interface standard that is used by many vendors, so the theory is if you have an NMEA capable device you can add devices onto the network which you will be able to recieve information from.

I have a Lowrance sounder x107cdf and I purchased the nmea network and fitted it to my boat, on this network I can add devices which just plug into the network, the sounder then searches for the devices and asks them what type of information they can provide, ie I have a fuel flow meter, I am then able to select what information I want to see from the device on the sounder screen.

You can buy all the NMEA components here in aus, however the zuk engine module is still not here yet.

Hope it makes it a little clearer as to what the NMEA can do not just the zuke component.

Regards
Honda.

SnapHead101
12-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Do you have contact details for the US dealer. I have recently purchased a new cat with twin 175 suzukis and commander gauges which are pieces of cr*p. In the past four months they have had problems three times.
At the time of purchase I couldn't understand why suzuki didn't have gauges they plugged straight into the ECU as do Mercury.
I've already got a Lowrance 7500 GPS so hooking up should be a breeze.

leezor
12-05-2007, 08:42 PM
PM sent Snaphead

diverjohn
15-05-2007, 10:36 AM
leezor,

Thanks for the pictures and info on the EP20. I'm writing from the US and have been waiting for the EP20 to be released. I've just ordered two (twin engines). I am hoping that my DF200's which I purchased new in 2005 will be compatible. I can't tell from the pictures you posted if the sensor will fit. How difficult was the process of pluging the sensor into the engine? Any thoughts or suggestions?
John

Pegaso
29-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Hello
I have ordered a Lowrance LMS-527 with an internal GPS.
I want to connect a Suzuki interface to the Lowrance, can I connect it directly or do I have to make a NMEA 2000 network?

In then instructions manual for the LMS-527 with an EXTERNAL GPS it looks like you can connect the GPS directly to the unit.
Is it possible to connect the Suzuki interface directly instead of the GPS .

quote from the manual:
The LGC-3000 can communicate with your GPS unit either directly
(using the supplied extension cable) or through a NMEA 2000 network.
---

Roar G. from Norway

leezor
29-05-2007, 06:30 PM
John, Routing the EP-20 cable on the outboard was quite simple, the hardest part was routing the cable through the transom in my case. Just remember to remove the side panel from your outboard, this gives easy access to the grommets where the cables run through.

Pegaso, You will have to setup the NMEA network using the backbone, tee pieces and terminators etc in order for the gauges to operate. Once you have all these bits it is a breeze to setup. Once the netork is setup, simply plug the GPS antenna into the tee piece and away you go.

Lee

Fish Guts
29-05-2007, 07:55 PM
leezor,

heard conflicting reports about suzukis unable to use flowscans and navman fuel flow meteres. is this true ?

your option is favourable. good to see you sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

appreiciated

cheers
fish guts

leezor
29-05-2007, 10:47 PM
As far as I know Navman use there own proprietry interface and have teamed up with Mercury. Not sure if they intend to go down the NMEA 2000 path in the future. Not sure with flowscan either, though I imagine that you will see many more manufacturers using NMEA 2000 in the future. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.

wusty
18-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I got my NMEA 2000 network working today. I run a combined LowranceNet (blue connector) and red NMEA 2000 network, and all is ok. The Suzuki 140 Engine Interface cable install was easy, and connects to a Red Double T-connector with a blue/red interface cable. The SMIS 4" Multi-function Gauge also uses a blue connector, and connects to the other red double T-connector port using an interface cable. The combined SMIS engine interface/4" display was designed to originally stand-alone.

My LMS 525 C DF connects to a GPS 3000 module via a red NMEA 2000 network using 1 x double T-connector. To interface the LowranceNet (blue) to the NMEA 2000 network (red) was simply a matter of connecting the two double T-connectors. See the photo.

So, I needed 2 x double T-connectors to get four ports, and two blue/red interface cables to interface the legacy LowranceNet devices. I run a separate fused power and switched line for the NMEA2000 bus as recommeded in the documentation.

Other than taking a while to assemble the cables and connectors, with the engine interface coming from the US, I had no technical troubles. The custom gauges works fine on the LMS 525 reading from the blue network devices. The 4" Display reads the same data from the 525 and GPS3000. It all works as advertised and no tricks.

I can now display fuel usage, trip usage, and many other items as advertised. I'm really pleased with the running data I now have, and it was easy.

Greg P
18-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Wusty - good stuff mate it is a sweet system. I got my DF150 set up through the Lowrance 7200 and having that info on hand has changed how I drive boats. I used to think you could pick the sweet RPM by ear and feel but fuel flow and nM/litre shows that is not always the case.

Cheers

Greg

jjlm
21-11-2007, 07:24 PM
wusty does the smis interface give the rpms in digital numbers so twin motors can be synced preciesly could i also get us dealers info boat is a 32 foot cougar cat with twin df250 regards jack

jjlm
21-11-2007, 07:28 PM
wusty could u tell me if smis gauges read in digital numbers so twin motors can be synced precisely. could u also give me name and addresses of US contacts. my boat is a 32 foot cougar cat with twin df250 suzukis, regards...Jack

Luke G
21-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Just to clarifly, I now have a Lowrance 7200 GPS with the NEMA 2000 bus already set up so my external GPS works off it. To add the EP20 interface I will only need a T conector to add onto my network bus and the EP20 unit itself to connect to the bus?

Cheers

wusty
22-11-2007, 09:23 AM
The Interface displays the data digitally. So, you can see exactly the revs of each motor (and incidentally the fuel consumption exactly, etc). You can get the syncronisation you are seeking.

The cable is now available in Australia thru any Suzie dealer, and the price is ok. I'd buy locally if I had the chance anyway, but when I bought, the cable simply wasn't available here. For info though, the US dealer was Browns Point Marine.

Each motor needs it's own cable, and beware that there is likely to be a bus ID conflict with two motors. One motor will need to have it's bus address changed. It's easy to do, and is one of the menu items if you look thru the menus. This has to be checked, as if both motors try to use the same bus address, then neither works.

Each cable needs to be connected to the NMEA bus obviously. I'd buy a double connector as it's cheaper and simpler than two connectors. Also, check that the cable/connector combination you are using is RED or BLUE. RED is the newer version, but BLUE can still be used if you also buy the interface cable/connectors needed to connect a RED network to a BLUE network. Finally, check that you have the correct ohm terminating resistors for the network. If that is already ok, then you don't need any extra resistors, just insert the new double connector in the bus path.

I hope this helps.

wusty
22-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi Luke,

Some of my comments in my last post to jjlm apply to your question as well. In your case, check the RED/BLUE issue, and the terminating resistor issue carefully. Assuming that you have the same colour connectors, and that the buss is already correctly terminated, then you simply insert the new connector into a convenient spot between the two ends, or move one of the terminating resistors to the end plug on your new connector to create the correct buss structure.

Incidently, I spray INOX (or any spray oil that doesn't evaporate) into the connectors, and then carefully tape around them with self-annealing tape, then tuck the connectors well away from water or spray. Electronics hates corrosion and a little care now may save heaps of hassles in the future.

dentice
10-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Help me,
Where is found connector NMEA 2000 on motor suzuki 115?
Excused for my English
Thanks

wusty
11-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Dear Dentice,

See the connector on the end of the engine interface as per the diagram below:

http://store.brownspoint.com/images/suzuki/SMIS-Network.jpg

The large round connector is the engine interface connector. The smaller connector is for the engine tilt if you want to use it.

I do not know the 115. I also do not know the model of your 115.

Assuming your motor is relatively new and has the connector, it is a large round plug about 3cm across with a black plastic cap over it. It is not marked.

Standing at the back of the motor and looking towards the transom mounts, on the 140 the connector is on the left hand side towards the front - about 30cm above the engine tilt switch.

Wusty

dentice
11-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Wusty thanks,
my motors are of 2005
For case have of the photos of the connector on the motor?
I would want to connect the motors to a lcx 112C you have other councils for me?
Thanks from Italy;D ;D ;D
Peppe

andrew&lucy
11-12-2007, 06:03 PM
dentice email Paul Gasior www.brownspoint.com he will be able to help you. andrew

wusty
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Hi Dentice.

Both the LCX112 and 2005 115Hp Suzuki seem to be NMEA 2000 compatible. You should be ok.

See http://www.jackrabbitmarine.com/Detail.bok?no=3692 for SMIA and engine compatability, and http://store.brownspoint.com/detail.asp?product_id=990C0-88011 for some other info.

See the other of my posts with the NMEA 2000 buss connections for a BLUE network. Try and keep your network either BLUE or RED, or you'll need expensive interface cables. RED and BLUE are the same electrically, and the form of the networks are exactly the same, but the connectors are not inter-connectable without an interface.

I previously posted a photo of the SMIS cable connected to the motor. See that earlier post with the photos. The photo also shows the black plastic cover that sits over the male connector on a short cable loom. It's a big connector at 2 cm or so.

I suggest you set up each motor with its own separate cable and prove each is working separately to the LCX 112. Then when you have proven the network is working to each motor by itself, then connect both motors at the same time. If you have problems at this stage, then you have a network address problem as I also referred to in an earlier post. Each device on the NMEA 2000 network needs its own unique code address - just like computers on a network at home. To change a network address, you use the LCX 112 NMEA 2000 setup pages to make the change.

The basic principles are that the NMEA 2000 network (RED or BLUE) needs to be laid out correctly with the connectors in a line, and terminating resistors at each end. Then each device needs to be connected to its own "T" connector. Normally that is enough, but with multiple network devices of the same type, here two motors, you may need to set one to another address to create a unique network address for each motor (or any other duplicated device).

The LCX 112 has all the NMEA 2000 setup pages to make the changes and settings needed to configure the motors onto the network.

Wusty

dentice
11-12-2007, 09:02 PM
hi wusty
for the highly professional information.
You to be a technician?
I will make to know the result you hardly the weather one will give the possibility to me to try the boat to sea
thanks

Peppe

mirage
12-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Hey Wusty,
Do you know anything about the new 2008 Suzuki engines?
I've just fitted 2 x DF140's to a 6.5KC and was going to hook em straight to my Lowrance 7200C with the EP-20's. Aparrently can't do it without buying a Suzuki SMIS gauge, to keep warning functions, and some major new connections and hassles. All to do with digital/analog/NMEA2000 changes on the new engine cables and connectors!!!
"Not Happy Jan"
Cheers, Scotty.

Ian1
12-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Hey Wusty

Thanks for all the helpfull info.:o

Are the SMIS displays and engine interface availlable in Australia?

Ian

withoutatrace
12-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey Wusty,
Do you know anything about the new 2008 Suzuki engines?
I've just fitted 2 x DF140's to a 6.5KC and was going to hook em straight to my Lowrance 7200C with the EP-20's. Aparrently can't do it without buying a Suzuki SMIS gauge, to keep warning functions, and some major new connections and hassles. All to do with digital/analog/NMEA2000 changes on the new engine cables and connectors!!!
"Not Happy Jan"
Cheers, Scotty.

This info might help you and others considering the EP20 Interface

NMEA 2000 ENGINE INFORMATION
Suzuki, Yamaha, Evinrude Suzuki
Suzuki has engine models compatible with NMEA 2000 that can be configured
using our head units and gauges. An engine interface cable (EP-20) is required
2008 and later Suzuki engines, excluding the DF 300, will also require the Suzuki
K8 adapter.
The DF300 models will require a Suzuki DF300 adapter.
Suzuki interface cable (EP-20) and adapter cable part numbers:
120-06 Suzuki Eng Intrfce Cbl –BL 10ft
120-10 Suzuki Eng Intrfce Cbl –BL 10ft (OEM 6PK)
120-55 Suzuki Eng Intrfce Cbl – RD 10ft
120-56 Suzuki Eng Intrfce Cbl – RD 10ft (OEM 6PK)
120-67 FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Suzuki DF300 Single Engine Adapter (OEM)
120-68 Suzuki DF300 Dual Engine Adapter (OEM)
120-69 Suzuki DF300 Triple Engine Adapter (OEM)
120-80 Suzuki K8 Adapter
Suzuki engine models compatible with NMEA 2000 using the EP-20 interface
cable:
DF 40: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 50: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 60: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 70: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 90: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 115: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 140: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 150: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 175: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 200: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 225: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 250: 2008 and later models require Suzuki K8 Adapter 120-80
DF 300: Requires Suzuki DF300 adapter; single, dual, or triple depending
on the number of engines.
The Suzuki Engine interface can provide the following information over the
NMEA 2000 network:
• Engine RPM
• Alternator Voltage
• Engine Hours
• Fuel Flow
• Engine Trim
• Fuel Used
• Trip Fuel Used
• Seasonal Fuel Used
• Speed over water (DF300 Only)
• Water Pressure (DF300 Only)
• Current Gear (DF300 Only)
• Standard Diagnostics
Overheat
o Low Oil Pressure
o Over Rev
o Low Battery Voltage
Suzuki Engine Interface Configuration
The LMF-200 and LMF-400 can support up to three engines with one engine
interface for each engine. If you have one configured engine interface, it will be
displayed as Eng Int. If you have three configured fuel flows, they will appear as
Port Eng, Cen Eng and Stbd Eng. When the interface is unconfigured it will be
shown as UnCfg Eng. Each fuel flow has an internal menu with the following
options: Unset Engine, Change Engine. Fuel Warning, Reset and Reset Fuel
Calibration and Reset Trim Calibration.
NOTE:
If, after configuring, unconfiguring or reconfiguring an engine interface, it is not
shown on the Bus Devices list, you will have to refresh the list. To do this, let the
menu time out and press MENU. Select SYSTEM SETUP and press MENU.
Highlight B. DEVICES and press MENU. The Engine Interface will be listed with
its new configuration setting.
To configure Suzuki Engine Interface: LMF-200
1. Press MENU, use the UP and DOWN keys to select SYSTEM SETUP and
press MENU.
2. Highlight B. DEVICES and press MENU. The Bus Devices list will appear.
3. Select UNCFG ENG and press MENU. The following message will appear: Hit Menu to Cfg Eng Int. Press MENU.
4. The Suzuki Engine Model menu will appear with the following options:
DF40, DF50, DF60, DF70, DF90/115, DF140, DF150, DF175, DF200/225,DF250 and DF300.

mirage
12-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Hey Wusty

Thanks for all the helpfull info.:o

Are the SMIS displays and engine interface availlable in Australia?

Ian

G'day Ian,

Not sure if it's all available in Australia yet for the 2008 models. You need an adapter for the EP-20 (which I know is available in the US) to fit on these new donks with all the other connections and cables. I believe you can get the SMIS gauges and EP-20 here though.

My mechanic talked to Suzuki Australia, they didn't know much about the adaptor required for the EP-20. They sort of passed the buck to Lowrance, so I called Lowrance and they passed the buck back to Suzuki. Very frustrating.

This is the reply from a Suzuki dealer in the US for 2008 engines:

"The only factory recommended procedure is to eliminate your analog tachs (at least for the warning system - you can keep the tach functions) and install a Suzuki SMIS 4" gauge (similar to the Lowrance LMF-400). Along with the EP-20's and SMIS gauge you will have to purchase 2008 EP-20 adapters, NMEA 2000 network adapter and possibly other hardware to mate the Suzuki network to the Lowrance network. You will disconect the analog connectors at the engines and connect them to the ECM interface."

Cheers, Scotty.

wusty
12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi Ian,

The SMIS cable works off the computer port plug. Using a SMIS cable does NOT disconnect the analogue gauges. I still run both.

The 2008 motors are the same electrically for NMEA 2000. The issue is that previously the SMIS cables had BLUE connectors on the network end, but now that the standard is RED connectors, you need the RED/BLUE interface cable for the network end, not the motor end.

As to the whether the EP-20 cables need a Suzuki engine interface cable as well, I'd check that as the cable form and pinout hasn't changed in 2008 according to my dealer. I'm sure the issue is at the network end, not the motor end of the cable.

I bought my SMIS cable from a Suzuki dealer, not Lowrance, so I agree it is a Suzuki issue, not a Lowrance issue.

I also run a 4" SMIS Gauge because I didn't want a single point of failure of my alarms with my Lowrance. I agree with the approach of having a separate display gauge on the network for alarms.

Note that the NMEA2000 Buss power is usually provided by the cable harness with the Lowrance. If you want the 4" Gauge to operate without a Lowrance on the network, make sure you have an independent power cable to the Lowrance cable harness. And then disconnect the Lowrance NMEA2000 power cable as you only run one power supply to the network.

So Ian, I suspect that you are getting factually correct info, but it is not in the right context for your problem.

I suggest go back to the basics. Make sure you know what colour connector network you are using. Then buy only devices that connect with the same colour connectors, otherwise you need to RED/BLUE interface connectors and cables - like I had to do!

Don't be daunted though, it works fine. I run a mixed RED and BLUE network, and I have no problems. But it all needs to be laid out correctly as per my earlier posts with the linear form and network end resistors.

Wusty

wusty
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Sorry Mirage, my last post was also to you.

For Ian, the SMIS cables and gauges are available in Oz from a Suzuki dealer.

The Lowrance screen pages display the engine data best. While the 4" gauges also do it, it scrolls thru on small pages, whereas on the Lowrance you can see as much as you want on the one page with no scrolling. Each has it's purpose though - I use both myself.

Wusty

mirage
12-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply Wusty.

I follow most things you said. I'm still not sure though why the guy from the US (In the quote above) says I need to buy the SMIS gauge so all the engine warnings work and just use the tacho gauges as analog tachos. Currently the tachos are sort of multi function with all the warning lights incorporated.

From what I can tell he is saying that you just can't plug the Lowrance into the engine, even with the Blue/Red interface cables, EP-20 and the new Suzuki K8 Adapter (mentioned by without a trace above) without losing the engine warning system on the tachos. Therefore you need the SMIS gauge for the warning system! This was sort of implied by Suzuki in Australia as well.

Damn, I'm confusing myself again.

Cheers, Scotty.

mirage
12-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Withoutatrace,
Thanks mate. Thats the first time I've seen or heard what the Suzuki adaptor for the EP-20 is called. Looks like it's the K8 Adaptor. Certainly Suzuki or Lowrance in Australia couldn't tell me!
Cheers, Scotty.

wusty
12-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi Mirage,

I understand your frustration. I had real trouble working it out myself - and I learned that not many people I asked had actually built the network - specifically the Oz dealers at the moment because it is new to them too. I found the USA dealers to be disinterested in actually understanding what I wanted to do - in fact not one helped. I found most of my data in USA chat rooms. So, I'd be filtering any advice, including what I offer, against the background of a new technology and thin expertise.

The basic motor alarms don't need a 4" Gauge, or a NMEW2000 network. All the analogue signals are there and connected to the dash analogue displays. They will work regardless of the extra digital stuff.

At the next level of complexity, you can add a 4" display, or a few of them actually, to get digital data displayed.

Then at the next level, you can add a fishfinder and GPS, and network the lot to get fantastic fuel consumption and boat data. It's really impressive and was the main reason for me doing this myself.

But I didn't turn any of the three levels off. I still have a analogue tacho with the normal engine alarms. I have the 4" display which can work without all the other digital devices. And finally, I can turn the GPS module on, and fire up the Lowrance for all the integrated data displays.

I don't believe Suzuki has changed this three level architecture in 2008. The loss of the alarms to an analogue gauge seems a furphy because the computer port plug is simply picking up the same signals in parallel. It is not breaking the circuit to get the data. Nor is the computer port "loading" the circuit down so that the analogue signals don't work. I could be wrong on the 2008 motors, but I don't think so, as it doesn't make sense quite frankly.

I think what you are coming up against is that most people don't actually understand this stuff. What they know is if you do it "this way", it works, and if you buy "this", it works. Many don't actually understand how the networks link and the data is used. You could end up buying a few extra cables and displays, and not actually need them for what you want to do. I did, and they are sitting at home wasted.

My experience of all this is to lay out your required network on paper in real detail. Each cable and it's length needed, each connector and it's colour, and show how each device connects. Then get a minimal network working on the floor of the boat to prove the power supply and signals off the motor are working. Then only after you know it works, install it, and start adding devices one at a time, proving each before adding another.

Mate, just be methodical, lay it out, and don't buy anything despite who says what until you see for sure how it fits into your design. Then methodically bring the network up one device at a time.

Wusty

mirage
12-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks Wusty, all very good advice.
I agree with you, it just doesn't make sense that I need an SMIS gauge. As you say I can't see why it still wouldn't work keeping the tachos for rpm and warnings and using the Lowrance for fuel calculations, which is all I really want as extra info.
Good idea about doing it all on paper first.
Cheers, Scotty.

andrew&lucy
13-12-2007, 05:44 PM
have just got smis running in parallel with the analog gauges on K8 250.andrew

mirage
13-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Andrew, have you got data going into a gps as well?
Scotty.

Ninja
16-01-2008, 10:30 AM
dentice email Paul Gasior www.brownspoint.com (http://www.brownspoint.com) he will be able to help you. andrew
Have done that and also contacted Raymarine US and Aust direct only to have the buck passed back and forth. I have also contacted lakeandsea.com without a reply. Any ideas or help would be great.

honda900
16-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Ninja,

Try giving Trymax marine a call in capalaba, they do marine electronics, they may be able to help.

Regards
HOnda

wusty
16-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey Ninja,

What is your exact problem again?

Ninja
16-01-2008, 09:14 PM
No real problem. I just need someone who knows the exact parts to sell them to me.
This was my response from Raymarine-
You engine must be able to output NMEA 2000. Please check with Suzuki whether or not your engines do and if so they will be able to supply you with the kit you need to conect to our display.
And my response from Suzuki-
The Suzuki system will interface with the raymarine product. Suzuki does not supply the adapter to make the connection but I believe if you contact raymarine THey can most likely help you.
and a retailer-

Your best bet is to contact Raymarine. We specialize in Suzuki marine products and are aware of there compatibility between units but have no affiliation with any electronics brands.

George Jansen
Browns Point Marine Service, LLC.

This was my email I sent them-
I am currently having a boat built here in Australia which will be fitted with a Raymarine C120 Display and Furuno FCV585 Sounder.

I am hoping to fit the boat with a Suzuki DF225 but firstly require some information. I wish to display my engine monitoring information on my C120 but the parts I require are not yet available in Australia. Suzuki Australia told me to contact you as they say my required part is available in the US. They tell me I require some sort of interface / gateway to allow the DF225 to send NMEA2000 information to my C120. I was also wondering if there was some sort of part which allows the sounder information from the Furuno FCV585 to also be sent to display on my C120? Can aquire these parts or point me in the right direction please. Any help you can provide would be greatly appriciated as I know little about the whole subject.

Thanking you in advance,

wusty
17-01-2008, 09:56 AM
If you can't find help, then try the below. Please note I have not connected these specific devices, but the theory below should guide you on the questions to ask, or installing it yourself (AT YOUR RISK PLEASE!)

As you are setting up a new network, I'd go with the RED NMEA2000 connectors where you can. This means all the backbone T-connectors and terminating resistors will be RED if possible.

Now lay out a diagram of the NMEA200 buss showing cable lengths and the T-connectors where you want to install it on the boat. You need to know this so you can order the right length cables, connectors and specific interface cables.

You will also need to know what connectors each of your devices have. On the rear of the C120 and FCV585, you will need to look and see what the NMEA connectors are, because this will indicate what interface cables you need. If they are standard RED, then no problems. If they are manufacturer proprietary, then you will need their specific cable, with a RED connector on the network end.

DF225. The Suzuki DF 225 will need the SMIS cable from Suzuki. If it is a 2008 model, you'll also need motor-to-SMIS cable interface as well. See an earlier post. The SMIS cable will connect to a NMEA 2000 T connector, NOT to your C120 or FCV585 . Make sure you order the RED connector version and one RED T-connector. These cables (SMIS-to-NMEA2000 and SMIS-to-2008 motor-interface) are from Suzuki.

C120. The C120 will need a matching NMEA2000 cable to its rear connector, with the other end of the cable a RED connector to the NMEA network. Assuming the rear of the C120 is RED though, then you buy a RED cable and a T-connector from anywhere. Otherwise, buy from Raymarine.

FCV585. Same for the FCV585. Otherwise, buy from Furuno.

NMEA2000 Network. Buy:
1. two RED connector 120 ohm terminating resistors. One for each end.
2. whatever network cables lengths you need to match your diagram from the above layout diagram at the start.
3. a separate NMEA power supply cable and one RED T-connector.
4. a power switch and fuse for the NMEA power supply cable
5. any RED T-connectors still needed
NOTE: Standard RED NMEA2000 cables/connectors can be bought from anywhere selling NMEA2000.

Once ready to assemble, connect up the NMEA2000 cabling with the power supply T-Connector and the two terminating resistors, on the floor of the boat. In this order, connect the power to its T-connector and prove that the on/off power switch and power by the fuse to the basic NMEA buss (of the one T-connector and two resistors) is working (eg, fuse not blowing and voltage ok). Once power is proven ok, you are looking good. Then with the power OFF, add one T-connector and connect the C120. In the C120 screens, confirm that it can see the basic NMEA buss. If ok, switch the C120 and buss off, then add other T-connector and connect the motor. Then in order, switch the buss on, the C120 on and then switch the motor ignition on (don't start it) go thru the C120 screens to set up the motor interface. (The C120 won't see the motor unless the motor has power.) When all setup, power OFF everything, connect another T-connector and the FCV585, and power ON in order (buss, 120, motor, 585). Again, go thru any setup screens.

Just be methodical and test each stage, adding one bit at a time, and be sure that power, fusing and switches are all correct as they are the things that will blow your devices up if not right. ALWAYS keep the power OFF (buss and devices) when connecting/disconnecting devices. Switch the buss on first before switching on devices.

The installation documentation with the equipment should have guidance on specific setup instructions for the devices you are using.

Best wishes.

Ninja
18-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Thank you VERY much!!

rumy1
20-01-2008, 12:42 AM
If any one is after these try Seabreeze Marine in Rockhampton and Yeppoon, Central Queensland. They install them and told me alot about them. Look them up at www.seabreezemarine.com.au (http://www.seabreezemarine.com.au)

Ninja
20-01-2008, 03:42 AM
I have attached a picture of what I'm guessing will be my set-up now from all the different sources of information I have received? Like I said....I'm a dumb arse when it comes to understanding all this so please tell me what needs to be changed. Hopefully the setup can all be red like you mentioned.

honda900
24-01-2008, 09:31 PM
To all,

found out today that not all 07 plated zuke engines have the correct ECU interface late o7 models have the 08 ecu interface and need the additional conversion socket.

:-[

Regards
Honda

Currete
18-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Hello everyone

I will buy DF150, I guess it will be 2008, I want to put NMEA data engine to my Garmin 4008, with red crosses.

I combine analog gauges of my engine and the values my garmin NMEA 2000?

I have read that I need:

-- 2000 Basic Network Kit
-- Lowrance NMEA 2000 Outboard Engine Interfaces (EP20)
-- Suzuki SMIS Engine Adapter Harness---- Is it necessary? ---- Do Is this adapter is the K8? :-/

Do I have to uninstall analog gauge?
Can I have both analog and NMEA 2000?

I just want to take NMEA garmin without suzuki digital controls without having to remove my analog.

Thanks.

wusty
18-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Check the back of the Garmin. Is the network connector RED or BLUE? This will determine the other connectors you will need. If RED, then an all RED NMEA2000 buss kit is needed, and a RED connector SMIS cable.

The 2008 DF150 will need a EP20 SMIS cable and a K8 SMIS-to-Motor interface cable. Two cables. Unless someone has made a new cable now that Suzuki has changed the connector to a more standard connector.

The analogue signals for the analogue gauges will remain available and in parallel with the digital gauges. They are not disconnected, and are not affected, when the SMIS cable is connected.

See my previous posts for laying out the network, connecting power and bringing the network up bit by bit so you don't blow anything.

honda900
18-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Currete,

according to the specs of your gps it does have an nmea interface, you should read earlier posts in this thread re: the data that is able to be displayed on the unit as the garmin units have problems displaying all the data.

Regards
HOnda.

Currete
19-02-2008, 08:19 AM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9229/spa0050vp1.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4434/network101fd9.jpg

This is the entry NMEA 2000 (NMEA2K) Garmin 4008.
It is male and female red need to connect.
I think I have to look for a network like the photo, my doubt is whether this network, the connector ending my garmin is female?
Thanks

Currete
19-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Does anyone know if the connector end of the network, is female?

Xtreme
20-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi Currete,

Mate they other boys have given you all the tech info you need but before you go "genuine" Suzuki SMIS, give Navico a call and get a price for the Lowrance system. Lowrance actually make the SMIS system for Suzuki, including the K8 and Engine Harnesses and I have just bought the lot for significantly less that what I could import it from the US as genuine Suzuki. If you go on line, the manuals for both Suzuki SMIS and Lowrance LMF-400 are identical.

Retaining your Suzuki analogue Tacho and integrated warning lights / alarms will preserve your warranty, or at least thats what I have in writing from my supplier of the motor,

I didn't get a price from Suzuki here but when I can but engine cowl covers for USD$60 and they want $350 here, figured I wouldn't waist my time.....

Lance is the techo guy at Navico who can help you with P/N's etc.

Steve

Currete
20-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi Currete,

Mate they other boys have given you all the tech info you need but before you go "genuine" Suzuki SMIS, give Navico a call and get a price for the Lowrance system. Lowrance actually make the SMIS system for Suzuki, including the K8 and Engine Harnesses and I have just bought the lot for significantly less that what I could import it from the US as genuine Suzuki. If you go on line, the manuals for both Suzuki SMIS and Lowrance LMF-400 are identical.

Retaining your Suzuki analogue Tacho and integrated warning lights / alarms will preserve your warranty, or at least thats what I have in writing from my supplier of the motor,

I didn't get a price from Suzuki here but when I can but engine cowl covers for USD$60 and they want $350 here, figured I wouldn't waist my time.....

Lance is the techo guy at Navico who can help you with P/N's etc.

Steve

Thanks for the information.
But I do not want to install a digital control, I want to bring data from the engine to my garmin 4008 which recognizes NMEA 2000 data because the port has a male design star NMEA 2k, I seek female star to connect design.
I believe that the network could serve red Lowrance, my question is the end for the female garmin design star like my photo.
Greetings.

Greg P
20-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I hope this pic helps ?

I run the EP20 on my DF150 through a Lowrance 7200C (red connectors)

Xtreme
20-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Doh,

Sorry mate, I speed read your question.......The Lowrance NMEA have the same 5 pin configuration as Garmin. NMEA is a common protocol so no problems with interconectivity.

It's a male socket on the head unit.

The connector cable is female on one end to connect the head unit and female the other where it connects into the tee.

wusty
26-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Thank you for your valuable help in my NMEA 2000 questions. I did have one more question for you. Is it a good idea to spray inside of all the electrical connections with silocon spray before connecting them and what size fuse would you run to the power source wire feeing the backbone? OK...that's two questions;) . Anything else I should know about wiring it all up?
Thank you.

Thanks Ninja. Mate, your PM box is remains full, so I've tried posting here on the public forum for you to read. You need to clean your in-box out if you want replies.

I spray my connections with INOX actually, then wrap them with self-annealing electrical tape. I'm sure any electrical waterproof residual spray would be fine.

As to the fuse, I use 3A. All the info you need is on this thread, so I have nothing else to offer.

I hope it's all working now.

Wusty

jjlm
09-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Ausfish New Member
http://www.ausfish.com.au/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/starsblue.gif

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/_postbitspacer.gif

suzuki
wusty igot my twin df250 suzukis fitted with the suzuki interface and a mate done a df175 at idle it tells me im using about 13.4 litres per hr his is 10.4 we tested his and was using 250ml every 10 minutes no where near what the guage said my 250s tell me at 4500rpm im useing about 100 lph each when i know it to be about half that any idea where we went wrong would appreciate any help you coul give us regards jac

leezor
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Ausfish New Member
http://www.ausfish.com.au/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/starsblue.gif

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/_postbitspacer.gif

suzuki
wusty igot my twin df250 suzukis fitted with the suzuki interface and a mate done a df175 at idle it tells me im using about 13.4 litres per hr his is 10.4 we tested his and was using 250ml every 10 minutes no where near what the guage said my 250s tell me at 4500rpm im useing about 100 lph each when i know it to be about half that any idea where we went wrong would appreciate any help you coul give us regards jac

Jac,

Are your new gauges the Suzuki Commander type?
I had these gauges originaly when I bought my DF225 and ended up taking them back, they gave me nothing but grief.
At the time the NMEA2000 gauges were not available in Australia so I ended up getting them from the US.
The Commander gauges are made by Faria and do not utilise the NMEA2000 network, they still use the old paddle wheel type adapter to measure fuel flow which is not as acurate as the interface which gets the info directly from the engines ECU.

jjlm
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
leezor no the guages are the new smis gauges from the US lmf-400 cheers

wusty
09-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey jjlm, not sure mate. As you know, fuel consumption is a function of boat weight, speed, sea conditions, wind, et al. 100 l/hr at 4500 rpm seems possible to me. I have seen a boat with 250 Verado figures at 106 l/hr at 4500 rpm, and 10 l/hr at 1000 rpm at http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boat-review/1959450.aspx

I haven't googled up any useful graphs of DF250 fuel rates under load. So, am fishing so to speak on what the numbers should be. You will need to get that data from a dealer or somewhere?

I note that you have LMS-400 gauges. I think you do have some good news. As you are getting readings and can see the buss, you can deduce that it is all working electrically, but a configuration issue is the probable cause. Let me try a few ideas for you to check:

1. Check that your two motors each have a different network address. This must be right, otherwise the buss gets confused. The address is changed in the advanced area on a Lowrance where it says don't change anything!! I don't know how to do it on a LMS-400. Can you borrow a Lowrance and connect the power and network port up? Or do you have one already - you don't say in your post. (A hassle for sure if you don't, but you might need to do this so you can see all the setting screens). Make sure you write any settings down before changing them, so you can reset manually. Try each motor separately with the other turned off, and get the individual figures at idle - obviously then turn both on and make sure they are still the same for each motor. If not, it points to a configuration issue in the settings pages still.
2. Same for any other 'dual' active devices on the buss. eg digital fuel tank sender. Same principle - all active devices must have a unique address.
3. With 2 motors, do you have two tanks? Do they feed the motors separately or as one fuel stream? This is important because of the way the data is then interpreted by the display gauge. You are checking to see that your engine data isn't being doubed or halved in performance calculations depending on the parallel or serial fuel flow configuration actually used.
4. The only other thing I can think is to check the measurement unit settings. Make sure they are all in litre and km (or whatever) and are consistent between the active devices.

Hope this helps. I'd like to know any feedback on your tests. Thanks.

jjlm
20-03-2008, 08:00 PM
wusty i found this on a US chat it is only for 2007-8 engines but suzuki did recall and put new ecu s in my 2006 df250 s and i would say that they are now 2007 ecu s but i cant find the link for the update ive emailed lowrance but still waiting ill let u know how i go cheers
Quote:
After doing some research on this problem, and talking to Suzuki, we have discovered that there were some other changes that were made in the engines that we were not made aware of. Suzuki made some changes in the way that the fuel flow information is outputted, and due to these changes the fuel flow information is going to read extremely high. We have had our engineers re-write the software for the fuel flow and we have attached the update files to this email.

In order to run this update yourself you will need a Lowrance unit attached to the network that has a memory card slot in the unit. If you do not have one on the boat, then if you can find a friend that has one you can do a temporary connection into the network so that you can run the update to the EP-20 sensor. If you are unable to find someone with a unit that you can use, you can try with a local dealer. If unable to find any way of updating the software locally then you would need to send the sensor to us either direct or through your local dealer so that we can update it for you.

To run the update, copy and paste the file to a blank MMC/SD card, insert the card into the card reader of the Lowrance unit and press MENU, MENU, select BROWSE FILES and press ENT. Highlight the .luf file and press ENT, select Update and let it run. Once the update has run all fuel flow should read normally.

Last edited by Shark : 19 December 2007 at 11:10.
http://rib.net/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://rib.net/forum/images/buttons/pmlink.gif (http://rib.net/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=3977) http://rib.net/forum/images/buttons/profilelink.gif (http://rib.net/forum/member.php?u=3977) http://rib.net/forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://rib.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=231315)
SharkView Public Profile (http://rib.net/forum/member.php?u=3977)Visit Shark's homepage! (http://www.gommoniemotori.com/)Find More Posts by Shark (http://rib.net/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=3977)

wusty
21-03-2008, 05:26 PM
thanks jjlm. That is interesting indeed. Other people are going to need that update file, so I hope you get it. wusty

skipalong
21-03-2008, 06:51 PM
hi i have a lowrance 7200c unit and was wanting to put a fuel flow metre on it for my 140 suzuki, was wandering if was to go the engine interface would i get the fuel flow or will i still need the other fuel flow harness instead

jjlm
23-03-2008, 08:53 AM
wusty i got a file to run ran it but alas no good after much more discussion with suzuki and lowrance apparently they are writing new software so in the menu u can select the year of the motor wich should fix the issue . the quest continues ill keep u posted cheers

jjlm
23-03-2008, 08:54 AM
wusty i got a file to run ran it but alas no good after much more discussion with suzuki and lowrance apparently they are writing new software so in the menu u can select the year of the motor wich should fix the issue . the quest continues ill keep u posted cheers

wusty
24-03-2008, 10:12 AM
A newish model DF140 will be able to give you the fuel data direct from the engine computer as used by the motor, so you do NOT need to buy the fuel flow meter. You would only buy the fuel flow meter if you had an older engine that didn't have the engine computer interface. Wusty.

skipalong
24-03-2008, 11:52 AM
thanks mate are these available is australia yet? are they expensive,

wusty
24-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Between my local Lowrance and Suzuki dealers, they seem to be able to get whatever now, and I live in Yeppoon which is fairly out of the way. So, I'd try your local guys too. If a dealer is not convenient because of where you live, you can order straight from the US - try Browns Point Marine or Cabala which I was doing 12mths ago. But watch the BLUE versus RED cable issue with all of them, to make sure you get the right coloured cable connectors for your network. I assume you've read all the previous posts in this thread on this issue? Wusty.

frank100
08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Hi Guys !
Great thread.
I have an older df140 (2003), it appears to have the round "diagnostic plug" with the rubber covering boot that some have shon in photos. How do I tell if an interface cable/ T connectors/NMEA2K compatible display will work with my engine ??

Frank

wusty
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
The SMIS interface uses the same engine diagnostic plug - so you should be fine. I assume you have a display (Lowrance or similar, or digital gauge) that can connect to a NMEA2000 network? This is important because it is the display that takes network data and calculates the results, not the SMIS interface which is simply a data port to the engine computer output. So, all should be ok with your motor. Watch the red/blue plug issue when ordering your cables/connectors, and follow carefully the installation instructions in the previous posts. Wusty.

frank100
09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Wusty,
Thanks mate ! for your reply.
Now all I need are the sheckles to finance the interface, new sounder etc.

Frank

Fatenhappy
12-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Hey leezor ...

Like you I am an advocate of the NMEA 2000 system. I am fortunate enough to be in electronics so really appreciate the simplicity of these systems.

To this end I have imported a fair amount of stuff from radars, lowrance combo sounders and even the LMF 400 combo guage to throw into the system.

I am in the process now of finalising the importation of a pair of 175 HP 25" Suzis for "fatenhappy's" repower from Eds marine superstore in Virginia.

As shown on your setup, I am particularly happy with the sender getting its info from the ECU as it would be far more reliable.

The research I have done on the Suzi NMEA stuff seems to indicate that there are/were two harnesses needed, but having seen your set up obviously that's not entirely true.

Would appreciate if you could flick me the part number of the sender unit so they can be included with my order from the States.

Lastly, can you tell me if your Suzi interface allows you to see the RPM and the trim/tilt of the engine as well. I am trying to get right away from any of the traditional engine guages if at all possible?

Cheers
Greg

leezor
12-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi Greg, RPM is displayed along with engine hours and a heap of other info. It does have the trim and tilt connector on the loom however I chose not to connect it and use my standard guage. Check out http://store.brownspoint.com/suzuki_page_31.asp for all the part numbers and info on the system.
I advise that you buy all the cables, terminators, t-pieces as well from the US as they cost shite loads over here. I got stung almost $90aud for a 3mt extension cable for my GPS a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,

Lee

Luke G
12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
nevermind..

honda900
13-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Mirage,

The advise you have been given is incorrect with regards to disabling your analogue devices. I have an 08 engine and I purchased all the gear to hook it all up.

I have spoken (personally) to both suzuki and Lowrance on how these devices should be connected as I was somewhat concerned about the advise I was given to disconnect my analogue gauges. The reality is that if you disconnect your gauges you may invalidate your warranty - from my phone conversation with suzuki.

There is a second interface on the engine, which is also the service port for you mechanic, this is what you use to connect the interface to. However, you will, like me be really pissed off when you get your conversion cables from LEI which have the wrong plug on the end.

What I have found is that the correct plug end that you need is off a Yamaha gauge wiring loom. It is not a deitz and the connectors can only be bought in either a wiring loom or a yamaha engine rigging kit (not sure of the name exactly) but contains all the connectors and pins.

Look at this thread for more info on how to get it done.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=127084&page=3&highlight=suzuki+nmea

Regards
Honda

mr fisher
13-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi Greg
Hows it going with the motors are eds good to deal with to wat point do they get your motors to im looking at 140 HP suzi do you think it would be worth importing one

seawasp6666
13-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi greg
The above post was from me mr fisher is my young fellow

Luke G
13-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Also Greg are Ed's letting you ship the engines in the crate? When I was looking at doing this earlier I couldn't find a US suzuki dealer that would sell me a brend new engine in a crate.

Fatenhappy
14-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Hi guys ...

Seeing the reaction on my importing engines, I will start a new thread rather than impact on a non related subject on Leezas thread .... OK!

Cheers Greg

Fatenhappy
14-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Hey Honda ...

From my research on the interface, did you know theres supposed to be an additional small adaptor cable thats also needed that you will need for the interface from the 2008 model onwards???

Just thought I'd ask!
Cheers

honda900
14-04-2008, 09:43 AM
liquid-remedy,

yep, I Have the interface converter, Just so you know LEI are making them with the wrong connectory on the end, both the engine and the converstion cable have the male plug, Yeah wasnt real happy when I got it from the states.

You will need to get a Yamaha guage harness, which has the female version of the socket, I had to shop around a lot to find the socket but the yamaha dealer in Capalaba knew what it was.

Regards
Honda.

Fatenhappy
14-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey Honda ....

Wondering if that includes the link from Leezor http://store.brownspoint.com/suzuki_page_31.asp as that looks pretty much spot on ???

More than willing to take on all advice !!! (... never too old to learn! :D )

Cheers and thanks Greg

spinx79
17-04-2008, 01:20 AM
I've the .luf file for the update of the ep20. Lowrance has sent it to me. I've not tryed because i have a lmf400 and not a plotter with a secure digital slot.
I think that calibration do the same thing.
I'll wait the new ep20 with the temperature and pressure information...

Suzuki 2008 Engine Software Problem
This affects models from the DF150 to the DF250.

In the 2007 and prior Suzuki engines, the fuel flow equation is half of what it is in the 2008 Suzuki engines (for the models indicated above). This means that if a person has a Suzuki engine interface with software for the 2007 engines connected to a 2008 Suzuki engine of one of the models listed above, their fuel flow and related parameters will be half of what it should be. If a Suzuki engine interface with software for the 2008 engines is connected to a 2007 Suzuki engine of one of the models listed above, their fuel flow and related parameters will be twice of what it should be.

Suzuki Engine interface software:
2007 and prior fuel flow equation: v1.8.0
2008 fuel flow equation: v2.0.0
The next version of gauge and head unit software will allow the user to select the year of the engine when one of the engine models listed above is selected. But, for right now, the best solution is to calibrate the fuel flow at least 3 times to get the equation corrected.

http://primus.lowrance.com search for ep20

yangr21
07-05-2008, 09:17 PM
i have 2 DF 250, and i need for sure indication about fuel. i am confused. how can the engine measure the flow? did you install any sensor in?

Today I installed the Suzuki NMEA 2000 engine interface which I ordered from the US.
The installation was pretty straight forward, though I had to remove the side cover from my DF225 and cut the hydraulic line to my steering to route the NMEA cable. Though that wasn't a problem, the dealer where I got the engine gave some replacement fittings, thanks guys :)

The interface cable connects directly to the engines ECU (as pictured), there is also a second connector which displays engine trim on the NMEA 2000 network. I decided not to connect this up and use the Suzuki analog gauge for now.
There are no paddle wheels or cutting into fuel lines as Suzuki interface cable gets all info directly from the ECU.

I have all NMEA 2000 info displayed onto my Lowrance Globalmap 3500c, it displays plenty of details such as engine hours, lt/per hour, k/m per litre, fuel remaining, cylinder temp plus heaps more.

Though I havn't water tested the system yet, it did register fuel flow at idle which is something that my previous fuel flow system struggled to do.

Let mw know if anyone needs any further info on this setup.

Cheers,

Lee

leezor
07-05-2008, 09:27 PM
i have 2 DF 250, and i need for sure indication about fuel. i am confused. how can the engine measure the flow? did you install any sensor in?

Mate, the information comes directly from the ECU so no need for any paddle wheel type sensors. You do however require a Suzuki EP-20 interface which is what plugs directly into the engine loom, you will require one for each engine. Then all you do is hook them up to your NMEA2000 network along with a device that can display the info (such as a Lowrance LMF-400 or Lowrance GPS) and away you go, its that easy.

Luke G
24-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Where does everyone buy there Lowrance parts?

I need a 10ft red extension cable for my EP-20 and a 120-80 an adapter for an 08 Suzuki 150.

I've got the version 2.0 EP-20 sensor so hopefuly it reads the correct fuel flow.

Cheers

honda900
26-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Luke,

You can get the engine interface adaptor cable and the extension cable through trymax marine in brisbane, they have them in stock or you can get them from browns point marine.

given the Australian dollar at the moment it would be worthwhile checking both prices.

Fatnhappy,

sorry didnt see you question earlier, but the interface adaptor is as follows;

http://store.brownspoint.com/detail.asp?product_id=990C0-88035

and the plug on the end is incorrect. Browns point advise you to use this connector as a replacement to your analogue gauges, this is incorrect, it should be connected in the engine bay, to do this you will need a yamaha wiring harness. I have done it and have it working successfully.

Regards
Honda

Almighty
27-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I have a Naman 8120 combo
Question:

Can I connect a suzuki 300 (07) to my chart plotter?
I have read specs that say the 8120 is NMEA 0813 and I have read that 0813 won't talk to 2000. but I'm not sure so any advice will be great

Thanks

David

wusty
27-07-2008, 07:47 PM
No. The 8120 wants NMEA 0813 data, which is serial data like a dial up modem. The Suzi donks provide standard analogue and NMEA 2000 outputs. NMEA is a local area network technology based on computer ethernet networks. 0813 and 2000 are chalk and cheese.

Mercury/Navman have chosen a closed data proprietary interface based on Smartcraft - whereas Suzi, Yamaha and Evinrude (at least) have gone an open data standard based on NMEA 2000.

You have a problem. The cheapest solution would be to upgrade to a NMEA 2000 GPS/fishfinder.

Almighty
27-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that. I checked out the Raymarine c80 and it's 0813 too so I guess I'll wait till I get the next boat and make it all happen then

Thanks Again Wusty

Luke G
27-07-2008, 08:11 PM
You might be able to get some LMS guages to see fuel flow etc. They shouldn't cost more then a few hundred.

Cheers

mattyazza
18-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi all this topic has made for some very interesting reading. I have a pair of 140 Johnson four stroke 2006 models.
I understand that they are a suzi's painted white. Will these ep20 match into my motors? I am already running a Lowrance gp7200

mattyazza
24-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Anyone Know if it will work on my motors?

ausandy
26-08-2008, 03:31 PM
hey guys, just want to let you know, i have 2 suzuki interface cable kits in stock and are priced at 120 each....... andy

wusty
27-08-2008, 08:22 AM
2007 or 2008 interface connectors? And what does a kit comprise? Thanks.

Blueroo
11-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Just got my interface cable and NMEA network bits from Browns Point Marine. Ive got a 2005 Jonno (Suzuki DF90). It all works like a dream. I didn't worry about connecting the trim as I have a trim gauge already.
I tried to buy the stuff locally but they didn't have some of the items I needed in stock and wouldn't order them unless I paid cash upfront.
The set up I have is an LMS339 combo (internal gps antennae) connected to the T of a T piece which is connected to another T piece the T of which is connected to the engine interface cable. The 2 T pieces are terminated with 120ohm terminators to make it all work.
Cheers
Stue

frank100
11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Blueroo,
I have the NMEA bus & eng.interface connected to the ' 4" Multifuction guage' (Also from Brownspoint). I do'nt get a lot of engine info though, I get fuel useage, engine voltage,eng hours, rpm . I wonder if you could list the parameters you get from the eng.
Since my LX16c is NMEA 0183 I also added the GPS module to give me economy & speed info.
Anyway any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Frank

Blinky
02-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I have just ordered a Lowrance LMF-400 multi function gauge and 120-55 interface cable, is this all I need to get the system up and running?
Do I just plug the interface cable into the receptacle on the engine that is shown in some of the previous pictures?

I have a 2003 Suzie DF90, Lowrance tell me the LMF-400 will be compatible and Suzuki tells me the engine is NMEA 2000.

wusty
02-04-2009, 01:08 PM
See http://www.lowrance.com.au/en/Products/Marine/Digital-Gauges/LMF-400/Specifications/. The LMF400 needs to be powered, which is drawn from the NMEA2000 bus. So, you need more than just the 120-55 cable and the 400.

Your 400 and Cable will need to use the same connector colour, otherwise you will need at least one BLUE-RED interface cable. Also, check your run lengths and make sure you don't need an extension cable.

Assuming your 400 connector is RED as is the 120-55, and you received a RED T-connector in the 120-55 kit, then at a minimum, you will need one more RED T connector for the 400, a 120ohm RED terminating resistor with power cables (either #119-78/80) to allow power to one end the T-connector, and a normal RED 120 terminator for the other end. Depending on what male/female connectors you have to fit, you'll need to select the right connector types for the two resistors. See http://www.lei-extras.com/store/search.asp?SearchType=Category&Category=LowranceNET+Red. (If you can't get powered terminating resistors, then you will need another RED T-Connector and a RED connector power cable.)

The method then is to connect the 400 to the base of the T connector 1. Then connect the un-powered terminating resistor. Before connecting the powered resistor to the other end, solder the power cables on the resistor to your power switch, and your switch thru a fuse to your power buss. Always power the NMEA2000 thru its own switch and fuse if you can. Then, once power is ok, with the powered switched OFF, connect the power resistor to its end T-connector. Only the 400 is currently connected. If it all seems ok, then switch ON, and you should see the 400 light up and show a front screen. No data yet because the engine is not connected.

Then switch power OFF. Take the resistor off the T-connector that is needed to mate with the second T-connector. Then connect the two T-connectors together to create an in-line double-T structure. Connect the motor cable to the base of T connector 2, and connect the removed resistor to the other end of the t-connector. All is done. Turn the engine ignition to on, the NMEA2000 power to ON, and your 400 should then see the engine.

There may be more direct ways, e.g. if you can find a 60 ohm terminating resistor with power, then only one T-connector is needed.

If all this sounds like goobly-gook, see a standard NMEA2000 data base drawing at one of the earlier posts to this thread. It's easy enough when you see the layout. Just layout your cables and connectors the same way.

Just be careful with the power so you don't blow something, and do it bit at a time and double check. Definitely, don't try and connect it all up while power is on! All care and no responsibility from me as per my other posts!

Blinky
02-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks Wusty,
Sheesh, now I'm really confused. The guy I spoke to at Lowrance said that as I wasn't running any other gear on the network all I needed was the interface cable and the gauge. Connect one end into the engine and the other to the gauge,no mention of this other stuff. I had a quick look at the manual online and saw it needs power, I figured I could take power from my console bus.

I might ring them back and have another talk to them.

Blinky
02-04-2009, 03:11 PM
OK, got it sorted, got onto Lowrance and the very helpful guys gave me the part numbers of the extra stuff I need.
Went back to the dealer I ordered it through and apparently it's all included when you get the LMF-400! Great darts!

casual_freedom
11-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for that. I checked out the Raymarine c80 and it's 0813 too so I guess I'll wait till I get the next boat and make it all happen then

Thanks Again Wusty

I think you will find the C80 also has Seatalk 2 which will work with NMEA 2000

ozbee
11-06-2009, 07:04 PM
aus andy i have a 300 zuk linked to a lowerance lc127 it was all set up when i had the etec on it ive had the new motor a month now and still no interface kit does your s fit.l

spirodem
18-07-2009, 08:41 PM
i have just installed the suzuki engine intreface on my df140 and connected it to my Lowrance HDS7m.
Help - the fuel rate is showing at 613.4 L/h. does anyone know how to fix this?????

no need to respond - i have resolved it

Horto22
09-08-2009, 08:59 PM
aus andy i have a 300 zuk linked to a lowerance lc127 it was all set up when i had the etec on it ive had the new motor a month now and still no interface kit does your s fit.l

ozbee

I have just succeded in getting NMEA2000 engine data from my DF300 up onto Lowrance LMF400 gauges and a Raymarine E120 screen. Was ver difficult to find anyone who knew how to do it at either Lowrance or Suzuki. At least the guys at Lowrance tried to help, more than ncould be said for Suzuki.

You will need the Suzuki engine interface cable and a single engine adapter cable. You will need to disconnect he standard serial gauges and connect the adapter cable in as shown in the attached PDF. From here its simply a matter of setting up a NMEA 2000 netwrok backbone and plug the other end of the engine interface into the network long with any other NMEA devices.

Cheers
Horto

shutupnfish
01-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Hi Lee, I got my cable package from Browns point delivered today and had no idea where to plug it into the motor until I read your thread... thanks8-) but where you show the round plug on the motor in your first pic, is this where the square plug goes into? Ill have a better look tomorrow during the day. Ps I have the same motor as you 2010 and the lawrence HDS8M with NMEA system already installed for the auto pilot.

Cheers

Moonlighter
02-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi there

I expect that Brownspoint will have supplied you with the current version interface cable if you bought it recently. It has different connectors to the older ones referred to in this old thread. The old ones had round plug on the end, the new ones have square.

If you ordered yours from Brownspoint, you should probably have also got the Suzuki SDS adapter cable as well. Then you can simply connect the interface to the SDS adapter cable and then plug the adapter cable in to the SDS plug on the engine - this is the "Suzuki Diagnostic System"(SDS) port that your Suzuki tech plugs his laptop into when servicing your engine. On my DF115 it's on the port side and is held in a small black cap/cover.

Plug the adapter in there.

Then if not already done you'll need to establish the NMEA 2000 network on your boat and connect the interface to that. If not sure how to do this, PM me and I'll send you a copy of an article on this topic that I wrote for F&B Magazine last year.

Cheers

ML