PDA

View Full Version : 4.8M Stessl Tri-Angler

Rhetly
10-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Who knows what about these?

I am looking at a mid 90's hull in this tri-hull configuration. Also referred to as gull wings.

All I have heard is that at rest they are very stable compared to a straight mono-hull configuration and that they are a pig to turn at speed as the 'mini hull/oversize chine' tends to dig in a bit.

I would appreciate comments on both pro's and cons from peoples' personal experiences, or what they have heard from old mate who knew someone that once owned something similar.

Cheers, Rhet

juju
10-05-2007, 07:07 PM
http://www.marinews.com/details.php?recordid=134

The link above might give you a few ideas....its a test on one..

Greg

Rhetly
11-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Greg

Not quite the same although some good info in there. Thanks for the help anyway. The article is about a newer design with the outer hulls protruding further forward and more defined than the photo that I showed.

Cheers, Rhet

Chimo
11-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi RhetWe modified a tinny with similar rear wings and it did't turn well. Re what your looking at; I think if I understand you correctly and my memory serves me, the design was changed some time ago with a meter or so removed from the bottom of the stern wings on both side so the boats could turn. Do they still make them or if not there is probably a reason. If it cheap to buy and therefore you won't lose too much on resale it may be OKCheersChimo

Rhetly
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Chimo

Not sure if these are still made, but you don't tend to see alot of them.
The only thing I am iffy about is the hull shape as the rest of the boat and extras make it a very good package. Like you say 'if the price is right'..........and it is which is the only reason I am considering it.

I am wet testing it tomorrow, so time will tell.

Cheers, Rhet

Stinger
11-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Mate I had a 2004 Stessl Stinger Tri Hull 4.8
You couldn't ask for a more stable boat with a dry ride.
The model was upgraded for the 2004 model with the gunnels raised 100mm.
I understand that the earlier models did not come up to scratch but stessl certanly changed that.
I have talked to the bloke that has that boat now and he is extremely happy with it.
Only sold it so I could buy a tournament boat.
Certanly would recommend the 2004 Stessl for any one looking for a great alround fishing platform

Best of luck with the hunt.

Dan5
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
hey mate dont wanna burst ya bubble but stay away unless using the boat on almost flat water had 2 mates with the 4.8 and both had weird handling issues.Same type of problems with 5.0 stessle fury with trackrails we ended up cutting rails off and made it aheap better boat all round but still not as good as it should have been for a hull of its size

Rhetly
11-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Cheers for the feedback guys. I appreciate the comments. Like I said, I am wet testing it tomorrow and will have the boat in a variety of conditions so should get a good idea about it.