PDA

View Full Version : BEST fuel hose for boat - grey or black

ozscott
10-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I have had grommet 3/8th fuel hose on for 2 years - put new hose on boat 2 years ago. Its started to crack, even though not exposed to sunlight - right through, particularly near the clamps and on bends (although there are no sharp bends). This was thick walled black pipe.

Under the cowl and out into the transom well Yammy use the grey pipe - its been on the motor since 94 and still feels pliable and good. You can buy 10mm/ 3/8th grey marine fuel hose...so just wondering if that is better and longer lasting?

Cheers all

Noelm
10-05-2007, 10:05 AM
I have grey on my boat on one motor and it is black on the other, both are exposed to the elements in places, been in place for about 6 years, still both look OK will have a "wriggle" tonight and see id one is hard.

FNQCairns
10-05-2007, 10:15 AM
I dont think it has to do with the colour expressly, what probably plays the biggest roll is the quality of the hose, I have bought the grey from one of the major sellers with a free mailout catalogues and it was almost as stiff as copper pipe after less 5 years.

I have considered the use of automotive EFI fuel hose lately, simply because it is made to a standard I can understand but don't know how it would rate against UV.

interesting to hear your comarison Noelm.

cheers fnq

litenup
10-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I agree with FNQ, colour means nothing That grey stuuf avail most places is crap, can last one year if lucky. I had mechanic change hoses at service, then tell me next year needs replacing. He admitted it was cheap for him to buy. The grey stuff Yammie use is totally different. I use auto stuff, lasts for years. Cheers Pete.

snelly1971
10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I usually buy all most hoses from a Hose dealer...eg...Purple pig...ect...The last fuel hose i used was red in color and it lasted just fine...I think when it comes to any type of hose...you get what you pay for...

Cheers Mick

wessel
10-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Locally you have a choice of really cheap and nasty Chinese made to no standard garden hose and is also used as fuel hose. I am talking about just over a dollar a meter
Only one guy brings in Italian made marine grade fuel hose and it costs an arm and a leg (somewhere in the region of 15 dollars a meter) Going well into the second year now and the made to a standard fuel hose is lasting well in the direct sun and 50 deg summer heat.

Only time will tell but for me piece of mind has no price.

Wessel

ozscott
10-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Cheers fellas...I will get a quote and report back