PDA

View Full Version : Woolf Winch

snelly1971
09-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Just another boating question...

Has anyone had anything to do with Woolf Winches....

Cheers Mick

Redbream
09-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Na havn't Mick, but does look the part tho. You got one??

snelly1971
09-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I inquired about one recently...i have got a few other things to buy first ...but its on my shopping list....the bigger model ..2500...is about $2800 will hold 400 meters of rope and chain...retrieves at 1 meter per second...and no need to tie the anchor line off...it is a worm drive....seen a few Rescue/gov boats being fitted with them...

Mick

snelly1971
09-05-2007, 11:11 PM
PS...it only weighs 26 kg...so i could do with some extra weight up the bow....I dont like Capstans...seen too many people jam them and nearly tear there fingers off...this way the driver of the boat can operate it whilst driving the boat...

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
09-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Info from there web site......

All Marine Grade Aluminium and Stainless Steel

Retrieval rate 60 metres in 60 seconds

No need to tie your anchor rope

No tangles or twisted rope

All electrics sealed below deck

Template supplied with winches to be mounted on flush deck

Base plates made to order for winches to be mounted over rope well

Instructions for mounting included

Available in 4 sizes to suit boats from 15 foot to 40 foot

Weight of Model 2000 winch is 23kg

Winches also available with side mounted motor

Powerful reversible 1400 or 1700 watt marine motor with marine solenoid and switch

finga
10-05-2007, 05:42 AM
They certainly look the part.
Worm drive is good.
Keeping everything wet above deck is a good idea.
Decent mounting plate.
Looks to be easily 'pullapartable' to change bearings etc when needed.
Looks like a decent industrial duty clutch system that's easy to adjust or to release to let the drum free fall if something happens to the motor or electrics.
Looks to be easily hosed down to get the briny off with no real hidden spots.
What's that open pipe on the RHS?? It looks like a bearing or bush tube. That would be better sealed up to stop briny stuff going down.
I hope some good junk is in between the joins from the deck plate to the drum supports/pillars or what ever you'd like to call them. That'll be a nice spot for 'troubles' if there isn't any sealer of some description.
Nice!!
:)

fishing111
10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Snelly in Woolfwinches add in F&B it says the 2500 model winch is for boats 24-30ft, and that the drum holds 100 metres of 10mm plus chain. I have been trying to get some info on them myself and have rang the number on the bottom of the add and its no loger connected, and the mobile provided also was of no use as no one answered, and the website stated in the add www.woolfwinch.com.au (http://www.woolfwinch.com.au) is no where to be found. Which website did you get your info from as i can't find any info thats not in the addvert in F&B.

Cheers Paul

BM
10-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Very agricultural looking winch :( How protected are they from salt spray??

Why not go for a Quick, or Muir or any other leading brand of anchor winches? Although without an anchor well they typically can't be used. Hence your consideration of the drum type?

That winch is quite similar to one called a Stressfree.

Cheers

snelly1971
10-05-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi paul i am looking at there web page now...same address as you have posted ..and mine is working fine..Yes it states that it only holds 100 meters of 10 mm rope plus chain...I would fit strong 6mm rope and a shorter chain for deep water fishing...I spoke to the guy..he told me it would hold approx 400 m of 6 mm rope...

His mobile no is 0428 837 691 He is often out on the job fitting these to boats ...so he maybe out of range or busy...keep trying...

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
10-05-2007, 12:16 PM
BM i looked at a Muir winch...but it was too small...and i hate capstans....if you have got a green crew then something may go wrong...At least with the woolf winch i can drive the boat and be in complete control of raising and lowering the anchor....

Cheers Mick

vapour_trail
10-05-2007, 12:52 PM
you can do all that with a Lewmar profish and alot cheaper.

http://en.lewmar.com/products/index.aspx?lang=1&page_id=431

fishing111
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Unbelievable Snelly, i tried that website a dozen bloody times with no luck, and i just clicked on it then and it worked, go figure...computers. Good to know that they can hold that much line.

Cheers Paul

snelly1971
10-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Sorry Vapour but i dont see much comparison between the two...The simple design of the woolf suits me betters...maybe alot dearer but i dont buy junk....Woolf winches much be ok if rescue groups and gov dep are fitting them....

Cheers Mick

snelly1971
10-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Could you imagine 200 fathom of rope and chain up the bow in a chain locker of a 6 meter plate boat bouncing around ...One great big bloody tangle !!!!!!!!

vapour_trail
11-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Hey snelly,
I have no problems with tangles nor does anyone else i know.
I just wonder using a small diameter rope like 6mm whether the rope will pull tight between the rope already laid onto the drum causing a jam?

snelly1971
11-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Shouldnt be a problem...I have read through the link you supplied ....I would like to hear from you why a Lewmar would be better than the Woolf...

cheers Mick