PDA

View Full Version : BLA heads up

FNQCairns
09-05-2007, 11:58 AM
To anyone planing on purchasing boat bit's thru BLA double check the web price (at BLA.com.au ) upon the RRP the seller is quoting.
This morning I questioned a large seller of boat bit's here in Cairns why their price was way above the BLA website price, the seller checked up and it seems they throughout 2007 have been quoting the 2006 prices, much has dropped in price due to freetrade over the last while esp higher ticket items.

Anyway it would seem some have a handsome excess of funds in their 'to pay BLA' account each month, the seller said they did not recieve the 2007 price list (I believe him) and interestingly the 2 other places that quoted here also quoted (I assume due to the amount) from the 2006 guide.

cheers fnq

BM
09-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Don't forget that the RRP from BLA (or any distributor in any industry) is in fact as the name suggests a recommended sell price. Its not a mandatory sell price.

Most large dealers usually have about 10% or more on top of RRP's as standard practice.

Cheers

FNQCairns
09-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Yeah BM thats in every industry if they can get away with it, although BLA work a little different as they have the part price advertised and then through checkout direct interested parties directly to a selling dealer to supply at that price or in law cheaper but not more legaly.

In other words the BLA website quote is the quoted price, of coarse the dealer can refuse to sell the item at that price as they are under no obligation to supply any individual (unless by BLA themselves in contract?).

cheers fnq

BM
09-05-2007, 12:27 PM
No theres no contract as such. I have a BLA account. I offered to people on the fishnet site that if they wanted any BLA gear I would organise it through my account at 10%off minimum. But the site pulled it so it didn't proceed.

I think the BLA site and checkout thing is fairly new and as such would have annoyed a few larger dealers. Although I would imagine if someone made noise about the price difference they MAY sell it for the BLA website price or they may simply refuse. I don't know, you'd have to ask them.

Personally, I reckon the margins in the products for us resellers is quite acceptable so I see no reason to go for another 10%....

Cheers

Kerry
09-05-2007, 03:32 PM
The BLA setup is a bit of a funny one. One can order things directly on-line, checkout etc and requires so called payment (credit card details) etc but then that info goes to the dealer you nominate or the dealer is supposed to get a note saying as much at which time the dealer then orders/invoices the item, is deleivered to the dealer where you pick it up from and who then actually gets paid the BLA quoted price, with real money or credit card etc.

Bit of a run around system really especially when the internal notification system breaks down and what you thought you ordered with who you thought you ordered it never occurs.

Simply go straight thru a dealer in the first place but knowing quite well what the RRP price is based on the on-line site details.

Regards, Kerry.

BM
09-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Yes, I agree Kerry. They should just stick with promoting their product through their dealer network.

I go by their RRP so it doesn't really bother me but I could understand other companies being annoyed.

And yes the web based process is a convoluted process. I have never had cause to look at how their web purchasing works so this thread is a first for me in terms of how the BLA site works. I use my product catalogue and separate price list to look things up.

Cheers

Cheers

FNQCairns
09-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Just for interest during my chat this morning to the BLA seller he said BLA charge $100 a month to be included on the website as an option for the sale.

cheers fnq

BM
09-05-2007, 06:11 PM
I could easily believe that as its simply another form of advertising.

Although, it sounds fishy to me because as a reseller of their products I really wouldn't expect them to charge me to list me on their website....

I'll ring the Melb office tomoz and get an answer.

Cheers

Edit: I see I don't appear in their list for South East Melbourne and Mornington Peninsula. But neither did JV Marine.......???? Go figure.. Perhaps they refused the $100/month money grab??

Kerry
09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
So who wears the cost of the catalogue? Well the front cover of the catalogue anyway being dealer specific. Is this part of/included in the "monthly" charge or an additional cost to the dealer?

FNQCairns
09-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Kerry probably me, it cost I think $6 for my copy from a seller here and thanks for pointing out their details are on the front:) I missed that and kept reaching for the phone book, without prices it is just a brochure.

cheers fnq

Grand_Marlin
09-05-2007, 08:04 PM
The 2006 price list is the current price list ... BLA just sends updates from time to time.

If they have a 2007 price list, they haven't released it yet.

90% of my marine fittings come from BLA, as we run our trade account through them as well.

I never thought to offer before, but if anyone needs anything for their boat from BLA, I can supply it at a discounted rate for Ausfish members in the South East Queensland area.

Cheers

Pete

Blackened
09-05-2007, 08:10 PM
G'day

Well done pete, a very generous fer fr yourself.

Dave

how hard is this
10-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Guys,

I've been reading this with quite some interest, I used to work for a store that had a listing on their web site and we used to find it quite useful.

Gordo wasn't as big as some of you fellows so he couldn't afford a fully tricked up ecommerce web site, from memory he paid about $45 or $50 a month to BLA and they did it all for him for us it was great, someone placed an order online, we recieved an e-mail the customer would come in, process the sale...job done.
the guys in their internal sales team used to ring and follow everything up.....

Heads up Pete they do have a 2007 price list we got one just before I left...get on to you rep mate and get him to shoot you one out.

Kerry
10-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Kerry probably me, it cost I think $6 for my copy from a seller here and thanks for pointing out their details are on the front:) I missed that and kept reaching for the phone book, without prices it is just a brochure.

cheers fnq

fnq, A lot better being able to skip through a printed catalogue then wading through the website. Once you've got your part number then punch it into the website search and the "listed" price is there.

jimbo59
10-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Yes your right i have edition 10 catalogue(2007) and 2006 booklet for prices.

Grand_Marlin
10-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Yep, you are right the 2007 pricelist is available ... I quizzed them when I was in there today.

The 2007 pricelist is dated 19th March 2007.

Apparantly there was a stuff up with the printers not having them available and we were all meant to receive CD's in the interim.

I let the office know and they are giving all the Reps a rev up.

Cheers

Pete

how hard is this
11-05-2007, 02:52 AM
Kerry and fnq, our rep gave us a quick run through just after they made the new site and the new search functions they made things a hell of a lot easier. i just looked at their site again to jog my memory, you can use the catalogue quick find which is sectioned and numbered exactly the same as their catalogue you click on the section number exactly the same way you would open the catalogue and its all there in front of you.

They also have that box just below where you can either type in the part number (if you know it) or type in the product you're looking for and it searches the site and lists teh results. sometimes I've found the results broad but never far away from the mark, much easier and quicker than going through the catalogue......

Fitzy
14-05-2007, 08:53 AM
G'Day Folks,
If anyone with a BLA account does not have a 2007 price list, you can call one of the state offices and they will get one in the mail.

Office numbers:
Qld 07 3907 5500
NSW 02 8845 0900
VIC 03 9552 9400
WA 08 94348490

Cheers,

Fitzy..