PDA

View Full Version : mackeral tackle

darryl13
08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
whats the best setup you use to catch mackeral in moreton bay

rod reel line lures etc

i am very interested in trying for some mackeral and other pelagics in moreton bay next summer when i get my new boat

your advise will be appreiated

Ryan.S
09-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Mate i am by far not the most experienced in this field (or any) but heres what i have learned through trial and error. My current Mackeral/Trevally setup is as follows.
ROD: 4Kg Berkley Dropshot
REEL: Daiwa Fuego 3000 Spinning Reel
LINE: 30Lb Berkley Fireline Braid

I am very happy with this setup. As far as lures are concerned, My absolute favorite would be the Spanyid Maniac series. Any size from 17g - 24g. I haven't had any success with the 30g. I try a few different retrival styles each time but most successful iv found is casting and allowing the Maniac to sink about 1-2 metres and then a medium to fast retrival.
When using pilchards i always used a set of double gangs with half a pillie. However i only seemed to hookup 1 of 5 good hits at best. So iv been experimenting with half a pillie on a single mustard no 4 hook, and it has improved my hook up rate to probably 1 of every 2 hits or better. They just cant seem to spit them. I'v also found, by trying to make bait go further, using 1/3 of a pillie just doesnt work.
Anyway im sure you will get some better info but this is my experience.
Ryno;)

Blackened
09-05-2007, 01:19 PM
G'day

My mackeral setup is also my floater setup.

its an 8' 8-10kg live fibre spin stick with a 6500 baitrunner spooled with 20lb platinum.

The leader is usually 50lb mono down to a flight of 3 4/0 gamagatsu gangsters.

Dave

HIGH and DRY
09-05-2007, 08:11 PM
when you say floater rig, i take it you mean no sinker. if thats the case, how does this work in strong currents. i have tried, and my bait ends up spinning round on the surface!!:-[ been trying at the harry atkinson, with no success at all!!

Horse
09-05-2007, 08:18 PM
If you can find a Shimano TSS4 then I think this is a good value option. match it with a good 6-10kg spin stick between 7 & 8 ft and you are set for many years of Mac attacks. The more sporting option is something like a Snapper Raider with a 4000 size reel

Cheers
Neil

Blackened
10-05-2007, 03:07 PM
[quote=HIGH and DRY;616763]when you say floater rig, i take it you mean no sinker. quote]

G'day

What I do with my floater rig is tie a waterbomb on the mainline above the swivel.

Haven't had any drams with that yet.

Dave

darryl13
12-05-2007, 07:29 PM
do you troll for them or just find a school working on the surface