PDA

View Full Version : Genuine telewater boat bits (rod holders)

FNQCairns
08-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi all anyone got a Quintrex or the like with the genuine plastic flush gunnel mount rod holders? do you like them and do they hold up to use and abuse?

Also another bit I was looking at was the anchor light, the long removable one that folds in half and is made by Perco -worth buying or rubbish?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks and cheers fnq.

Wear the fox hat
08-05-2007, 08:37 PM
FNQ,
Plastic rod holders are fine (if they are of a good quality) & should take up to about 40 pounds of line pressure, maybe more. Just make sure they are held in with 3/16 self tappers or even better, 1/4 bolts. Had one pop the last trip out & it was only because it was held on with 3/16 rivets that just pulled through the plastic holes in the holder. Have now made above changes & now all is good. Believe it or not, the better quality plastic ones are just as strong or better than your run of the mill $40-$50 stainless rod holders due to the thin weld at the top of the stainless holders.
Can't help on the light.

WTFH

FNQCairns
09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks WDFH for that, these holders felt to be the best I had seen so far in plastic and the price was OK too, they will make a nice budget priced (about time!:))addition to the boat I think

cheers for the advice

fnq

wags on the water
09-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Fnq,
I've got the folding anchor light on my boat. It doesn't give out enough light if you wanted to tie hooks etc and its not really in the way.
When i get the boat back i'll take some photos for you.
Wags

FNQCairns
09-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks Wags for the info, would you buy it again? less light into the boat is a real big plus for me, nothing robs night vision more than some of these anchor lights and was hoping to avoid if possible the styles that flood down.

thanks fnq

wheelerdog
10-05-2007, 06:34 AM
mine couldn't handle live baiting for macks. plastic exploded everywhere;D

Cheech
10-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Each boat I buy I change th anchour light to move them off the stearn and mount them in the top of the bimini. I use the short plastic ones and run the wires either in teh core of teh tubing, or on the outside of the tubing and hide them some other way. Having the anchour light on top of the bimini makes it a real all round light and also reduces the bright light in the water problem.

Cheech

wags on the water
12-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Fnq,

I took some pics but i just couldn't work out how to take a pic of how much light it puts out.
I'm no professional photographer.

Cheers,
Wags

6222 6223 6224

FNQCairns
12-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Thankyou very much WAGS for that, what do you think of the side mounting? Would you buy again. It's a pain when a person has to drill a hole in the boat for someting like this.

One more thing is it stable?? It was very light weight.

Cheech no such luck yet but will be adding some shelter hopefully before summer set's in again and will do what you said, great way to go.

Wheelerdog was that the Quintrex ones? or one of the others. The Quintrex in the quick look I had at them seem to be made of a plastic more like a poly boat and the shaft was something like 4mm thick.

cheers and thanks fnq

wags on the water
13-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Fnq,

If you were fishing at night on that side of the boat I think it would be in the road. It is quite stable though. Not only does it sit about an inch into the socket but it is screwed in as well.

Wags