PDA

View Full Version : advice on pelican canoe

cammo79
07-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi all,

I am buying a new canoe for fishing lakes and estuaries and was hoping for some advice.

I am tossing up between a 16ft pelican canoe and a coleman which is a bit smaller. I am a big bloke and often take a freind along.

Does anyone use a canoe and how do you rate it?

I will be using a 42lb riptide minn kota transom mount.

Any help will be greatly appreiciated.

Cheers all
Cam

Lucky_Phill
07-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey Cam, have a squizz around this site.

http://www.akff.net/forum/index.php

Cheers phill

Luc
07-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Given your intended locations and the use of an electric/battery, I'd be going or the bigger canoe.

Unless you've done a lot of canoeing, I'd also suggest an outrigger.

I've had non-canoeist guests in my 16 foot Rosco and end up not fishing to look after the stability.

Luc

Luc

Eagle
08-05-2007, 10:49 AM
I have a 16 foot "Whitewater" canoe/kayak. A photo of it can be found somewhere on AKF above. Go for the biggest canoe. The bigger canoe will hold more gear, generally be faster (higher length/beam ratio) and more stable. A bigger canoe is far better to fish from and you can also lie down for a snooze if you want. With electric power you can go further and faster and the extra weight of the battery etc. is no problem. I can carry enough gear in my canoe to camp out for two weeks or more if I want. In good weather, the canoe can be turned over to provide shelter at night. In wet weather it will still work if a small tarp is added to cover more of you if needed. You will be amazed how much gear will fit into a 16 footer. My next canoe will be a 17 footer and strip planked. You can also get to places that a power boat cant. Definitely get a "sit in" not a "sit on"
Eagle

roydsy
08-05-2007, 10:57 AM
I use a Roscoe basscatcher with outrigger and standing up is no drama, just got to make sure all guests lean towards outrigger if they are going to be uncoordinated. :P

We grabbed this canoe from roscoe's secondhand and my 54lb motorguide pushes it nicely. I still haven't got around to fitting the sounder and transducer yet...

I also forgot to mention that roscoe's do hire them out so try before you buy. If you live down my way, i would take you out for a bass flick in her just PM me.

cheers
Roydsy

marty+jojo
08-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I have done quite a bit of bass fishing out of a coleman scanoe, it had a 42 pound minn-kota on it, that pushes it along nicely. With 2 guys @ 85kg each, motor, battery, fishing gear,esky and beers it was still stable enough for us both to stand up and cast, even after the esky was empty.
Marty.

QuinnyDory
08-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I have the 14 odd foot Pelican canoe and do a little fishing out of it. Definately go for the biggest if you want the stability. Im pretty sure Pelican bought out Coleman canoes so you'll basically be getting the same RAMEX product when you buy a pelican, but I'll stand corrected.