PDA

View Full Version : If money was no object.

Hardb8
07-05-2007, 02:41 AM
Was just reading the Shimano vs Diawa thread posted by Top Ender and it got me thinkin.....I'm curious to know just what are the dream outfits of Ausfishers......I understand that money is a major factor that limits a lot of our tackle purchaces.:(

But.....If money was no object.....What would you choose?

Just list one of the following :- Any Rod manufacturer.

Any Reel manufacturer.

And the species it would be intended for.

Feel free to be as specific or as casual as you like with models/sizes etc.....From Whiting to Billfish,Whatever your favourite target is.

Eg :- Millerod and a Shimano Stella 1000,For Breamin.

Or maybe,somethin a little older (Rod /Reel or both) is on ya wishlist,Or a combo of old and new?

Eg :- An older Abu 1600 on a Modern GLX Loomis for Trout maybe?

Alot of guys just love the classy old style of these reels.8-)

top ender
07-05-2007, 11:14 AM
loomis glx matched with a shimano calais dc and 30 bags of soft plastics shouldnt get much change from $1800

bushbeachboy
08-05-2007, 09:35 AM
I'd have to go for an Egrell stick and maybe a Daiwa Saltiga reel. If money was no object I'd have lots of em, and also Shimano Stella's, Loomis sticks etc.;D In fact anything new that caught my eye would be brought home. I'd also have to have lots of boats and some people to clean them for me. Hehe.;D

wheezer
08-05-2007, 09:42 AM
i'm lucky enough to be in possession of a number of my dream, money-no-object combos...at the top being a millionaire i'ze light matched to one of my own wheezer's customs for barra fishing...also about to pull the trigger on a steez which will also be matched to one of my customs..in terms of what i'm aiming for...i really want a matched pair of a Saltiga Expedition and Dogfight, again matched to some of my customs based on Seed jigging and popping blanks...

oddbudman
08-05-2007, 01:26 PM
9ft Ugly Stick and Alvey 500B. ;)

countbaysea
08-05-2007, 06:17 PM
If money was no object,
give some to me.

smith / carpenter rods, Van stall reels - jigging / popper $2500 approx
shane

breamnut
08-05-2007, 06:45 PM
mmm.
for breamin.
either a miller rod or top of the range smith rod matched with a daiwa exist custom finesse.
perfect for flicking softies.

Hardb8
08-05-2007, 07:37 PM
This was exactly the mixed type of responses I was hoping to read.Keep it comin guys.

Hi Wheezer,
I thought the Monoblock would have been attached to your post.I reserved mine the other day.Can't wait till she arrives.:) :) :) .

snelly1971
08-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Miya Epoch electric reel..$14 500 US...is a bit out of my reach...

wheezer
08-05-2007, 08:53 PM
heya hardb8...have been following the evolution of the monoblock for ages but after seeing the final product...well...left a lot to be desired IMO. everything about the reel seems quite unergonomic if thats even a word. compared to say my i'ze light its heavier, the thumbar looks uncomfortable as do the knobs, the spool tension cap looks like an air vent whirlybird and they've left off the trim rings which give the millionaire reels such a clean and rounded appearance/feel. the only things i like is that its based on the millionaire and the styling of the cast control sideplate....so no, not on my wish list at this stage. instead i'm about to order a steez which will pull double duty for a little while as a bass/barra reel on a couple of new rods i have in the pipeline...in the meantime i hope the monoblock is everything you wanted in a reel!

PinHead
08-05-2007, 08:56 PM
for bream...a cheap 7' boat rod..a 6" Alvey and some average mono line.

banshee
08-05-2007, 11:01 PM
A Smith Freemantle to compliment my Ishidai,target would be as usual anything silly enough to hit a jig.

nuggstar
09-05-2007, 08:02 AM
i love hardb8's megabass and daiwa combo those megabass rod are a work of art.
and id get a dog fight and some fancy jap rod 4 anything big with fins

breamnut
09-05-2007, 01:38 PM
heya hardb8...have been following the evolution of the monoblock for ages but after seeing the final product...well...left a lot to be desired IMO. everything about the reel seems quite unergonomic if thats even a word. compared to say my i'ze light its heavier, the thumbar looks uncomfortable as do the knobs, the spool tension cap looks like an air vent whirlybird and they've left off the trim rings which give the millionaire reels such a clean and rounded appearance/feel. the only things i like is that its based on the millionaire and the styling of the cast control sideplate....so no, not on my wish list at this stage. instead i'm about to order a steez which will pull double duty for a little while as a bass/barra reel on a couple of new rods i have in the pipeline...in the meantime i hope the monoblock is everything you wanted in a reel!

why would you want an electrnic reel? takes the fun out of catching the fish your self.
i sometimes go out jigging on the charter boats of tweed (only cause i go out for free;D) and lots of the asian guys use there high tech electronic stuff and they dont catch any more fish then what the others do. if not less.
great gear dosent catch fish. but it sure helps!

turley
09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Well I'll start off with a bit of a vintage choice of an abu 1600c matched to a samuri s02 rod! I've had a bit of a soft spot for the 1600c for years but never managed to get my hands on one. These days they are treasured and worth alot more than I am prepared to pay!

On the more modern scale of thing, A conquest 50 for bass and an IZE light 103 would certainly rub me the right way! Having grown up with an abu 4600c3 I have a very soft spot for round baitcasters!

turley
09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Double post

Hardb8
09-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Turley,
This pics for you.I know where there is a mint Conquest 50 with box etc no scratches.Perfect.For $300 plus postage from Sydney.Let me know if ya want it,And I can put ya onto him directly.;)

Hi Wheezer,
Intresting to hear ya thoughts on the Mono.Out of curiosity I just weighed my 103 Light.It has been put on a diet with a Bassart carbon handle and Ito light weight knobs.She scaled in with a full spool at 214 grams.The Block is said to weigh 200 stock (No line) So weight wise it will be a matter of grams.The only true way to compare is to put the Ito on the same scales when it arrives.

Comfort wise they are designed on the same frame,So in the hand should feel almost identical ergonomicly.As you point out the thumb bar has the addition of knerly added as on the Wajima Millionaire.I don't think this would be deeply scribed enough to be called uncomfortable,I see it as being an addition performance wise.It will provide a slip free base for the thumb during casting,Which I think will help to deliver more consistant results,Reducing the occassion where ya thumb slides foward that tiny bit creating unwanted spool preasure.

I like the whirly bird comment :) A very accurate comparison.I quite like the look of it for some reason.And I think this part also has been improved to be more user friendly than the stock Millionaire caps.As the entire cap has a gripable surface opposed to the originals.

The knobs are lookin hexagonal or maybe octagonal???I've been using the round Ito alloy knobs pictured on my Light with no slippage problems.I believe the angles applied to the new ones will only make them better.I have the cork originals and the paddle style knobs as well,And for some reason am not a big fan of the later,And prefer rounder shapes.

The handle itself has been swept inward towards the reel body,As on the Steez,Reducing torque wobble when winding under load.Which I see as another user friendly addition.

I'm hearin ya about the smooth lines.For the round baitcaster lover,The stylish original lines are hard to beat,But I'm diggin the stripped back look of the Block.It looks raw 8-) .The more I look at this reel the more I like it,And anticipate it's arrival.It's strange how we have seen this reel in completely different ways.

As for everthing I want in a baitcaster...That reel has not yet been produced.The Steez,And my I'ze are very close,But I've held off on the Steez in hope of an Ito edition of this reel.I'm thinkin it's just gotta be in their pipeline.At least I hope so.

We see this reel from very different angles.This is why I like to visit Ausfish.So many different thoughts,From so many different people.:)

gregdeeth
09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
millerod XF with shimano stella 1000

turley
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Mmm very jealous there Hardb8! The old and the new guard! The bassart handle on the IZE light just tops it off aswell! Regarding the the conquest 50, I have already previously been in contact with the seller ;) In fact I am waiting for a reply from him on another forum at the moment!

blaze
09-05-2007, 08:51 PM
handline spool with 20lb line

Hardb8
09-05-2007, 08:56 PM
No worries m8,Just though I'd let ya know in case you were lookin for one.

bastard
09-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Id wait until k mart had a 25 percent off sale then i would by a cheap rod and reel and spend the left over money on 2 brand new big engines.

top ender
09-05-2007, 09:17 PM
i just wana know how often u guys buy new reels?
is it all u spend ur money on?
i cant talk i bought a new chronarch a month ago and iam in the proccess of buying a calais.

cherrs

wheezer
10-05-2007, 09:20 AM
a little too eccentric for me...but that said its great to have a company pushing the limits of tackle design. was thinking of holding off for a ito or i'ze tuned steez but i don't think its worth it...the reel is just too good! lighter than a pixy, smoother, better drag and heavier internals than the outgoing TDZ (eg. 12 needle anti reverse bearing same as millionaires vs 6 in all other daiwa low-pros) and type r+ tuning as standard for wicked casting performance. so there's gotta be room for one in my arsenal....i think its a matter of when not if there is an ito model i'll just have to get one of those too if it tickles my fancy!!

lumox
10-05-2007, 08:17 PM
just got mine been saving for quite a while.

smith komodo dragon, daiwa dogfight big big big gts;D ;D ;D