PDA

View Full Version : El nino and fishing

ramrod
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
It is my understanding that el nino has ceased and we are headed for el nina.

Just wondering if this has any implications for fishing in Australia with a change in temp of current.

cuzzamundi
06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
dunno if we're headed for a la nina mate, it's still a little hard to predict with much certainty from what ive heard. the soi has shifted to a more neutral position again, so let's hope either way it's gonna stay away from the negative percentile. if we do get a la nina event, then i believe we'll all prosper greatly, especially if it brings the typical torrents of rain to the queensland coast. as the old saying goes - drought on land, drought in the sea.

cuzza

tigermullet
07-05-2007, 06:05 AM
I agree with everything that Cuzza has said and hope against hope that we are in for a la nina event. The fish will return properly with sufficient rain falling, especially if it falls in the dam and river run-off areas. Local, coastal showers just don't do much.

My prediction is that we are in for floods and such an excess of water that all restrictions will be lifted. That prediction is based on the installation of our rainwater tank. It would be just my luck to see all of my work wasted and for the tank to become a huge ornament.;D

ramrod
07-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I assumed we cycled from one to the other.
didn't realize there was a spot between the two weather patterns

Luc
07-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Good rain is good for fishing.

For example, data from SUNTAG shows that good rain/floods means good barra breeding.

All our systems are in need of a good flush out.

Luc

nigelr
08-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Interesting topic IMO, ramrod.
Would certainly like to think we are heading for la nina, believe as Cuzza says that old saying about drought on land.
I am fearful that the lack of rainfall over the past several years (at least) might be a bit of a trend towards hotter, drier times ahead, only hope I'm proved wrong.
Cheers.

Reef_fisher
08-05-2007, 07:47 PM
I always thought it went from one to the other with our cousins across the pond from us copping the el nino.

cuzzamundi
09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
gday reef-fisher,

no mate, it can go either way, and also stay neutral. last year was el nino, year before that a neutral event, and before that el nino once again. we havent had a decent la nina here for quite a few years.

cuzza

blaze
09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
last one was 1995, but ya learn something every day cause I handnt heard of it and had to google la nina. Must be thicker than most
cheers
blaze

rando
09-05-2007, 10:33 PM
SOI for today is - 2.4 and trending up ,,, It needs to go into positive territory between now & early spring for a significant change to the present weather pattern.
It can go either way, down we get another el nino, significantly up, we get La Nina.