PDA

View Full Version : thinks ya find in ya boat

blaze
06-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Fitted a windlass anchor winch yesterday to the old girl, in the process I need to clean out the anchor well. I had 4 different anchors and 600 + meters of 10 and 12mm rope and about 15 meters of chain. Talk about well prepared. Some of it will now be relocated to the shed. Makes me wonder now what else I have poked away in other places in the boat. Now the poor old girl was completed gutted for a bare hull rebuild about 2 years ago, what would you accumilate over 5 or six years, maybe its time to check and lighten the load of all those unnessary weighty thinks.
cheers
blaze

Relaxed
06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Blaze,

Don't look in any other places, you may make her so light you get blown all over the North West.

You are certainly well prepared with all the anchors and rope, with that much chain you wouldn't need an anchor.

How big is your boat? I have forgotten it's been a while since your rebuild.

Cheers Andy.

juju
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
when cleaning out my old boat before selling it i found a paper $20 note up under the dash caught up in the wires behind the switch panel...god knows how it found its way up there...and a can of drink that had rolled around that much that there was hardly any paint left on it...

Roughasguts
06-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah I found a totally empty can of beer, in mine but it had never been opened.
Interesting to see a few little pin holes in the can from pitting.

Pretty dark about it too, if I found it I may have stayed out longer.

bootyinblue
06-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Strangest thing would have to be one of those little Quoll type animals from South Straddie. He/she must have climbed into a plastic tub when they come through your camp at about 2am in the morning, rustling up anything they can find.

Didnt locate him till I was packing the ute back at Jacobs Well and the tub was level with my eyesight.

Momentarily thought, maybe I should drive him back and have a short repatriation ceremony, but rather cut him loose down the far end of the carpark.

Now guess one thing (person) you will never find in my boat.... Any guesses.... Anbody..... guessess?

Roughasguts
06-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Strangest thing would have to be one of those little Quoll type animals from South Straddie. He/she must have climbed into a plastic tub when they come through your camp at about 2am in the morning, rustling up anything they can find.

Didnt locate him till I was packing the ute back at Jacobs Well and the tub was level with my eyesight.

Momentarily thought, maybe I should drive him back and have a short repatriation ceremony, but rather cut him loose down the far end of the carpark.

Now guess one thing (person) you will never find in my boat.... Any guesses.... Anbody..... guessess?

Ummmm
Taxman,
Dentist ,
Proctologist, or some other *nal factologist that can spin a lot of sh!t.

gawby
06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
About 6 months ago we were going out for a day run 8-) and i had to get in the cab to get something and then :o sh&t and i sprang back only to realise what was infront of me.:o
Graeme;)

Gotta make the pic smaller somehow.

Grand_Marlin
06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I found an Australian Salmon in the scupper of the boat a week after we caught it.... mainly just skin, maggots and a very bad stench remaining :sick2:

Cheers

Pete

marty+jojo
06-05-2007, 06:58 PM
A mate of mine is an outboard mechanic, he allways tells me how people are grubs and how he is allways finding old bait in boats and how bad they stink. While he was rewiring a boat once he found a dead cat all caught up in the wiring.....he said that it was rather smelly :P :P
Marty.

bootyinblue
07-05-2007, 01:27 AM
About 6 months ago we were going out for a day run 8-) and i had to get in the cab to get something and then :o sh&t and i sprang back only to realise what was infront of me.:o
Graeme;)

Thats the same little tacker I had! Now I feel guilty that I didnt take him back to his mother, as he crawled into your boat to hide from the big bad world.

Noelm
07-05-2007, 09:42 AM
hhhmm the stinking fish/bait just "jogged" my memory, I had a seafarer Viking many years ago, and then they had a sort of well in the floor at the back that small amounts of water will go there and not all over the floor, BUT, in this well there is a drain hole that drains the front of the boat under the floor storage (if you get what I mean) I do not how mant times I had been catching live bait and a yellowtail or slimey got off, slid into the small 'well" and then went head first up the drain hole, (which was just the right size to fit a bait) and because it was head first, you could never get the thing back out again, it just rotted away!! I ended up making a ting to hook them out, I got an old beachrod and glues a big treble on the tip, and then through the bung from outside, I could poke the treble through the bung and under the floor and sometimes jag the bait and yank it out (at home of course) that was a bugger of an idea, don't know if they are still like that.

kingtin
07-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Graeme;)

Gotta make the pic smaller somehow.

Cute find, Graeme. :D A mate of mine found some white ants in his rig ;D

kev

blaze
07-05-2007, 04:47 PM
who could forget that kev, I reckon every boat owner in qld fumigated their boat
cheers
blaze,
ps
apart from mega anchor rope ect, rotten bait would be my worst

Dignity
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
The usual, sinkers, old bait a block of dark chocolate but probably the oddest thing was a seasnake about foot and half long in the anchor well. Was fishing at night offshore and dropped a pillie in the anchor well, bent over to retrieve it when I spied a movement, got the torch out and here was this seasnake which had sum in through the bung hole. Left it there but half an hour later when I checked it was gone. Scary to say the least. Also found a rather karge octopus there also but I had brought it in on the line and the bugger dropped off. Had a lot of trouble getting him out as I didn't want him chewing on the fuel line.

gawby
07-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah Kev but at least this little bugger only sleeps in there.
They don't chew or sh&t, lucky hey.
And for that matter, hows the playpen going Bev and Ross.
Graeme

ColacGirl
09-06-2007, 09:42 PM
And for that matter, hows the playpen going Bev and Ross.

Hi Graeme,
The Trailer Queen, oops I mean Play-Pen, is still looking great... but how can she not be, she hardly ever gets used!! ::)

We had an overnighter in her at the Bedrooms a few weeks ago, but before that she hadn't been used for months. We think late January was the last time. Anyhow she let us know she wasn't happy about being neglected, by running like a bag of sh!t. Ross has given her some TLC but she's still not running quite right.

We'd contemplated an overnighter for tomorrow, but with the cool breezes we're having at the moment we've decided to stay home by the nice warm fire :)

--
Bev

gawby
10-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Bev and Ross,
I know the problem not using the boat. Mine has been sitting for months as work comes first and when the weather is good, yep work again.
I got the boat out of the shed this arvo to go out tomorrow but i have been realy sick lately and am on a bit of a downer tonight so to save spoiling a run tommorow have decide to stay home.
Tested both batteries and one good and one half flat. Gotto get a run to charge them up.
Graeme