PDA

View Full Version : trinidad/torium

u.r.s.4
06-05-2007, 05:35 AM
can anyone please tell me the difference between a shimano trinidad and a torium; besides the price and the colour.
ta.

krazyfisher
06-05-2007, 08:04 AM
trinidad torium

machine frame vs forged frame
centrifugal braking system
more bearings
more sizes
differant drags
differant weights

I have used both and the trinidad is alot nicer to use

banshee
06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
The Trinidad also has a Baitrunner feature as well as having gears that are made of different alloy.

samson
06-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Got both not much different just a couple of bearings which means more to go wrong, when pulled appart they are identicle your just paying $300 extra for the wank factor if i had to choose i find my torium smoother to wind under load anyway.

land-lubber
06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
as crazy fisher said.... The trinidad is machined, and at that price id say the gears are as well, making for a tougher reel less prone to stripping of gears as well as being smoother and tougher with less play. The alloys should also be of a much higher grade, meaning longer gear life (takes more to wear them down/gears getting sloppy) I have the torium and find it a good reel, however it really depends on what ur gunna use it for as to whether the higher price is justifiable. Mine is more for budget reasons than anything else, but if u have the dough, decide what u want to use it for than compare the 2 with the particular application in mind. Things to consider are size, weight, drag pressure, longevity, retrieve ratio, casting capability, crank power etc
cheers

u.r.s.4
07-05-2007, 03:00 PM
i want to use it for casting baits off the beach.

krazyfisher
07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
well if that is the only two reels you can choose between it would be the trinidad as it has the cast control. but I would think that a spin reel maybe an option.

banshee
07-05-2007, 07:07 PM
well if that is the only two reels you can choose between it would be the trinidad as it has the cast control. but I would think that a spin reel maybe an option.

Both the Trinidad and the Torium share the same cast control as each other and other overheads.If you are refering to the dial on the right hand sideplate,it is a baitfeeder tensioner and only affects the spool when the ratchet is engaged while the reel is in free spool,dissengage the ratchet and the spool goes into total freespool taking the tensioner out of play.
I don't think either of these reels will be suited to beach work but at a real push I'd go with the Torium,only because less bearings equals less trouble with sand etc.If your hell bent on an overhead and it's mainstay is beach work my recomendation would be an ABU 7000,the standard red model,fully bushed no bearings.

u.r.s.4
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
just looked at the shimano site; seems that the trinidad has the cetrifugal brakes, but not the torium.

billfisher
07-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I have both models and can confirm that the Torium lacks centrifugal brake blocks while the Trididad has them.

I have the Trinidad 16. While its a good casting reel the spool is a bit heavy and so takes a bit a weight to get it going. Its more suited to throwing heavy metal lures than beach fishing with baits I think.

u.r.s.4
08-05-2007, 04:47 AM
sorry, when i said baits i was refering to weighted baits.

krazyfisher
08-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Sorry when I said cast control I should have said centrifugal brake. and the trinidad will cast further I have tested the two side by side.

U.R.S.4 anything wrong with a spin reel?

u.r.s.4
08-05-2007, 04:36 PM
i use a penn525 super mag extra for spinning and baits at the moment, but i'm just looking for a reel that holds a bit more line.

land-lubber
08-05-2007, 06:39 PM
im currently using the torium 20 for casting slugs and heavier baits in the surf, id say the trinidad is the reel tho with the centrificals. As previously stated, my choise is more for budget reasons. Plenty of the lbg spinners are using trinidads and the reel u currently have

cammac
08-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I donno u guys that like using your reels to build sandcastles::) - if you cant keep your reels out of the sand and water - BUY AN ALVEY !!!!;)

u.r.s.4
09-05-2007, 04:39 AM
alvey... i dunno... i can cast a lure over 200m with my penn; i dont think i can get thet sort of action out of an alvey.

krazyfisher
09-05-2007, 06:01 AM
200m WOW........... just think what you could do with an alvey

u.r.s.4
10-05-2007, 04:31 AM
get a line twist!

scotty_c_069
11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
toriums are $h*t i have use all sizes except for the 50 and i have also used all saltists and they are much smoother higher speed and lower speed have a great shaped handle and they cast ALOT better and are around the same price BUT if you are only wanting shimano go the trinadad
ow and if i was you just watch out when yo hook a large fish i have seen 3 now of the toriun 30 back wind snap on bluefin of about 15kg -20kg watch ya hand it hurts when it happins THANKS

reggy
11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Have a look at the DaiwaSLX50SHA
It is a graphite bodied reel, 6;1 gear ratio
380mts 15kg and weighs 555gs

If it is too big, there are smaller models of it.
Great value at only about $200 and has crbb bearings

cheers
Reggy

u.r.s.4
11-05-2007, 03:40 PM
hey reg
i have the sl30sh, great little reel, i'll have a look at the 50.
cheers

wak69
11-05-2007, 10:58 PM
toriums are $h*t i have use all sizes except for the 50 and i have also used all saltists and they are much smoother higher speed and lower speed have a great shaped handle and they cast ALOT better and are around the same price BUT if you are only wanting shimano go the trinadad
ow and if i was you just watch out when yo hook a large fish i have seen 3 now of the toriun 30 back wind snap on bluefin of about 15kg -20kg watch ya hand it hurts when it happins THANKS

scotty, i have just bought a torium 50, it felt quite good and well priced, hope it will do the job this season offshore....

cheers sam....

u.r.s.4
12-05-2007, 04:55 AM
hey scotty
that saltist with the 6.4:1 ratio looks like good value for money.

samson
12-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Scotty had the anti reverse go in my toriums and trinidads when they back peddle under load look out i had my trinidad anti reverse blow out while fighting a 27kg jew and it nealy broke my wrist i had to get my mate to finish the fight because my wrist was stuffed, couldn't move my hand for over a week. You'll find once they go your reel just keeps doing it even after getting serviced, these reels are total rubbish mine sit in the corner unused its cheaper that way considering they have cost me in excess of $2000 a reel to get fixed over the years and they still blow out , who knows i might just get lucky and drop them over side one day i won't be shedding any tears thats for sure.

u.r.s.4
12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
let me know when you drop the trinidad over the side, i'll come dive for it.

cammac
12-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Looks like you wont be buying another Shimano eh Samson! what u replacing them with ?

Cam

samson
12-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Cam i've just started using Accurate reels and been using a saltiga for a while now so far so good but i've been looking at those Blue heaven reels they have the duel drags aswell they look good also only time will tell but i'm yet to find a user freindly reel that can handle Australian fish and conditions commercially yet, thats without going down the Alvey path and that ain't gonna happen.

u.r.s.4
12-05-2007, 06:39 PM
the more this post goes on the more confused i become

leezor
12-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I went shopping today for a new outfit, had my mind made up on a Shimano Tcurve Jig 200 but was tossing up between the Torium 20 and Saltist 40H.
They both came in at around the $290 mark and after comparing both ended up coming home with the Saltist 40H.
Hope I made the right choice :-/

Lee

CamH
12-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Has anyone used the Shimano Torsa?

billfisher
12-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Scotty had the anti reverse go in my toriums and trinidads when they back peddle under load look out i had my trinidad anti reverse blow out while fighting a 27kg jew and it nealy broke my wrist i had to get my mate to finish the fight because my wrist was stuffed, couldn't move my hand for over a week. You'll find once they go your reel just keeps doing it even after getting serviced, these reels are total rubbish mine sit in the corner unused its cheaper that way considering they have cost me in excess of $2000 a reel to get fixed over the years and they still blow out , who knows i might just get lucky and drop them over side one day i won't be shedding any tears thats for sure.

What about the 10 year warranty?

samson
12-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Have you ever tried sending them away they never honour that warranty thats not worth the paper its printed on, i wish they would i might have saved myself
Thousands if you ask me thats the biggest load of crock going around.

As far as i now theres only a one year warranty on the reels and a ten year warranty on the bearings but they always say its general wear and tear and they charge you the normal service fee i got sick of this over the years and get the bearings myself and do the servicing it works out cheaper but you still get hit with the massive price of replacing all the bearings.

u.r.s.4
13-05-2007, 04:49 AM
i dont know if i should start anew thread for this; but the avet sx5.1 with cast controll system for $285 looks like good value. anyone have anything to do with these reels?

reggy
13-05-2007, 06:47 AM
I have had an Avet JX for about 18 months now and it has been great.
I fish mainly for spanish mackeral, which are not really hard on reels
compared to jigging for big trevally etc.
I use the Avet and a Torium 20 and both reels have boated some good fish with no problems. All depends what you use them for.

Reggy

land-lubber
13-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Have you ever tried sending them away they never honour that warranty thats not worth the paper its printed on, i wish they would i might have saved myself
Thousands if you ask me thats the biggest load of crock going around.

As far as i now theres only a one year warranty on the reels and a ten year warranty on the bearings but they always say its general wear and tear and they charge you the normal service fee i got sick of this over the years and get the bearings myself and do the servicing it works out cheaper but you still get hit with the massive price of replacing all the bearings.

Interesting u say that, never had a problem with shimano service. sent a reel back for some1 last month, older stradic, they replaced crown and pinion, 3 bearings and basically everyting else in the reel for zip. All i have to say is get ur gear from somewhere thats gunna do the returning for ya , u minght get a better result. Ive seen 1 reel come back that they charged the customer for, and i wouldve too if ud seen the state of it, ive never seen so much salt encrusted on a reel in my life :o

samson
14-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Land-lubber by the way you talk you oviously work in a tackle shop and sell shimono which goes a long way to getting free perks off your suppliers but try sending them back up to four times a year when your an average joe blow and see how your treated, if i have to brown nose up to my suppliers to get shimano to honour their warranty i'll sooner go to a better quality company where the reels speak for themselves.

Cheers samson

land-lubber
14-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes sampson i work in the industry and i actually much prefer daiwa gear, however the qu was about the torium vs the trinidad. All i am saying is that with the dealings ive had with shimano they have been nothing but reasonable to deal with. As for perks, u have got to be kidding, i get nutn from anyone in relation to fishing gear, obviously i get some discount from the place i work at, but that is off the retail price, shimano wont give it to us any cheaper. In fact, on the the average better quality shimano reel, ill save a whopping 5-10 dollars :)
The fishing industry is rarely filled with glamour and freebies.
cheers

GPB
14-05-2007, 07:16 PM
By all means Samson, go there and be happy;D

samson
14-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Didn't mean any insult by what i said Land Lubber just the way it is with most brands shimano included.

GPB already been there for a while now and happy so far mind you Daiwa still get their fair share of problems just less than shimano.

Sorry if i ruffled any feathers guys just tryng to save someone getting the same problems i've had, nothing wrong with shimano while their working its just they don't work for me.

Cheers samson

land-lubber
14-05-2007, 07:56 PM
np mate, ur reel choice really depends on what ur doing with it, For instance id say the stradic is ok for certain work and for others id say that it might b worth a rethink. All i have to say is thank god i didnt buy a stradic when i was in the market for a new reel ::)