PDA

View Full Version : rod blank advice

choppa
04-05-2007, 11:16 PM
just a query to find out if i'm barking up the wrong tree,,, or if there's still any hope left to revive an old friend of mine

i'm the proud owner of a daiwa minicast mc-59 4 piece rod,,, this is coupled to a shimano magnumlite bsm-2200wfs baitrunner,,, and both have been a favorite weapon for over 20 years,,

the idea i think of the 4 piece rod is it is fully collapsible to fit into a tackle box,,glove box and so forth,,, but i've never really had it apart,,, EXCEPT FOR 2 WEEKS AGO,,

no names mentioned,, but a little mate of mine discovered that the rod pulls apart,,, and yep you guessed it,,,,,,,OOPS,,, sorry

the 3rd section,, (2nd from the tip) has had about 1 inch broken of where the top section slides into,,,along with this it has split,,, making it as useful as,,, well you get my drift

to find a piece to replace i believe is like trying to win lotto,,,, so as a passing thought,,,, i'm wondering what the chances are of buying a blank,, approx 6 foot long,,, but having the same outside diametre of the base piece that slides into the reel seat section,,,,

believe me,,, a couple of the sticks in the shed are trembling,,, but after running the verniers over the desired section of the rod,,, it leaves very little length,,,

does this make sense,,,, i'll post pics if needed explaining my dilemna,,, and i'll get the exact OD measurement of the bottom section in question

buying a new rod is the easy way out i know,,, thought i'd try this way first though to give the little bloke in picture something to help with on those days when we don't go fish'n

choppa

blaze
05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I am sitting here with a smile on the dial thinking now what could ya say to chop junior in a case like that. Dont ya just gotta love, take the bad with the good. Dont think you will get a taper the right lenth for od's. Wonder if someone had one of these rods in the back corner of the shed with less sentimental value than yours, maybe advertise in a few places for the rod and then you would also have 3 more spare section for when chop junior decides he really wants to see how it works
cheers
blaze

choppa
05-05-2007, 07:02 PM
now blaze,,, are you insinuating that chopjr is the culprit???

bugger,,, your right

attached pics tell all,,, the verniers in the pic are imperial,,, the od of the base is 0.32 of an inch,,, compared to a smoke butt being 0.30