PDA

View Full Version : rod types

phillay
03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and love fishing but i don't know much about the techinical side of fishing. When i go fishing the bloke that is next to me is always catching fish and I never get anything but lose my hooks.

I am wanted to buy new rods, and I just realised there are many different types of rods. I don't know much about them so I am seeking some wisdom from the pros on this forum. It would be much appreciated if someone could show me where I could find some info on reels and rods.

What is a…

Fly Rod
Carp Rod
Pole Rod
Match Rod
Surf Rod
Spinning Rod
Casting Rod
Ice Rod
Feeder Rod
Picker Rod
Boat Rod
Tele-spinning rod
Landing net rod

I know I would not use most of these rods,but I am one of them nerds that needs to know what they are and when will I need one.

Thanks in advance

adriang
04-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Being a relocated pom with detours via the US and mainland Europe, I can answer a few of the 'odder ones'...

Carp Rod

This is fresh water fishing. Carp fishing is big in Europe, and usually involves fishing a couple of rods set up on a dual rod rest, with the rods pointing at the water. Bites are indicated using electronic bite indicators, and the reels are baitrunners, so when the fish picks up the bait, they can run without feeling any resistance. The rods are usually 11-13 feet in length and rated with a test curve which is the weight require to bend the rod to a right angle. Heavier the weight, stiffer the rod. So something like a 2 ½ test curve is as stiff as a poker. Because they are reliant on electronic bite indicators, they don’t have fibreglass tips spliced into them for bite indicators.

Pole Rod

Again freshwater fishing, and my favourite method. Basically a pole doesn’t have a reel. They come in 2 separate styles.

Whips: I think I’ve got 3-4 f these, the longest is 6 meters, the shortest is 3. They are flexible, and the line is attached at the top. It is for float fishing, usually using something like a 2lb breaking strain line, and a 12oz hook length (leader), and something like a size 24 hook. Usually used in competition fishing, to catch a lot of small fish quickly, with the length of line being about ½ meter shorter than then length of the pole, so that with the bend from a fish, can be swung to hand, unhooked, put in a net, and then back out fishing as quickly as possible.

Poles: The technique is basically the same as above, the main difference being that they are usually longer. I’ve one that is 14 metres, and one that is 12. They have a length of elastic running through the inside of the top few sections, and then at the end, a length of line is attached. Again, light line fishing usually, although the are now popular to catch carp up to about 5 pounds as there are loads of carp ponds cropping up in the UK. My 12 metre one is called a Jurassic Carp. The way to fish them is to feed it behind you, rather than waiving 14 metres of carbon fibre in the air.

Match Rod

Usually a 4 metre, float fishing rod. Often with a choice of actions, depending on the style of fishing. (river, still water, heavy flow, etc).

Ice Rod

These are usually 1 meter at the longest, very stiff, and they are used with a reel to fish through an ice hole. A hand line would be more appropriate, but try using one in below freezing conditions, so their purpose was basically to feel bites. The method could be bottom fishing, free lining, or even using plastics or lures. I used to go and watch them fish on Lake Michigan, and the locals used to drive their 4x4s on the ice, had something like a petrol fence post drill to go through the ice, and a little ‘beach hut’ to sit in out of the freezing cold wind.

Feeder Rod

Again fresh water Feeder fishing is usually on rivers, and the rods are about 4 metres, and used to cast out a small cage (called a swim feeder) to hold ground bait (burley), as part of the casting weight. This will empty, and the remaining weight should be balanced to just hold the bottom, so that if a fish picked up the bait, it would be enough to dislodge it, and the bite would be indicated in the tip of the rod. Usually the rod is fished pointing upwards to get as much line out of the water, with a curve in the tip, and the bite is the curve straightening.

It can be fished on still water, but usually this is done with just a lead weight, and the burly would be thrown (or catapulted) out.

Picker Rod

Pretty much a super light tip fishing rod, could be from 2-3 meters, and often with interchangeable fibreglass tips that are used for bite indication. They are usually used in slower rivers or still water. Could be with a tiny swim feeder or just a lead weight. Not a lot of difference to the light rods that I’ve seen for sale here.

I think the name comes from the 'classic rod' for the method, which was a Shakespear Winkle Picker.

Landing net rod

I think that this is a landing net handle, and would have a screw fitting for the net to attach. Basically there are choices of handle length and strength.

rockfisho
04-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Haven't got alot of time...

But a SURF ROD, is very long, (btwn 10' and 15') and is used exclusively on the beach and rocks. It offers two main advantages: longer casting, which is mandatory, and it keeps the line clear of the waves.

But the type of fishing you will be doing will dictate the type of rod...

cheers
rockfisho

phillay
04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks Adirang for the detailed reply and roc kfisho for your input.

What is a spinning rod? is that the normal rod thats for a spinning reel?

I always thought there was 2-3 types of rods, some of the stuff you have mentioned I did not even exist in my mind lol

rockfisho
04-05-2007, 07:01 PM
A spinning rod, is used with a threadline reel aka bobbin reel, eggbeater reel. It is about 7' long and used from boats or banks generally with lures for surface and midwater fish.

They can range in line class from about 4 lb and upwards.

cheers rockfisho

adriang
04-05-2007, 07:27 PM
A spinning rod, is used with a threadline reel aka bobbin reel, eggbeater reel. It is about 7' long and used from boats or banks generally with lures for surface and midwater fish.

They can range in line class from about 4 lb and upwards.

cheers rockfisho
traditionally they had larger rings/eyes. But from what I've seen, doesn't seem to be the case nowadays.