PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have a makocraft or steesl edgetracker

darryl13
03-05-2007, 06:02 PM
i am thinking of buying a 4.2m edgetracker with casting platforms and was wondering what the boats are like
some any comments would be appreiated

kingtin
03-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Crab regularly out of a smaller edgetracker and chuck a cast net. They are well stable at rest but a shit ride in the chop compared to my stacer tinny. The ride in the stessl is sacrificed for the stability at rest but otoh, although the stacer gives a better ride, I've been chucked out of it twice. You have to decide on your priorities.......ride, or stability at rest

kev

darryl13
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
as i am going to be doing a lot of casting from it stability is my main concern
kingtin how does the edgetracker ride in smooth waters does it ride nice

Red_Nut
04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
My 2 cents worth.........

My brother has a 3.7m Edgetracker. Ride is great in smooth to windblown chop. Once the chop starts getting over about a foot it starts to get a bit rough. On smooth water these things are the smoothest boat I have ridden in. they also have a lot of get up and go for the motor size used, thanks to the punt style flat bottom.

Comparing the ride with my 4.20 Quintrex Wide Body Dory - my boat handles the rough water better, there is no doubting that. Both boats are about the same when it is smooth or only a small chop. The edge tracker really moves with the 9.9 Johnno with 2 people in the boat. If I was pulling crab pots or standing up all day flicking lures, the Edgetracker would be much better than my 4.20 Dory. The difference in stability is impressive with these hulls.

If it is stability you are after, definitely go with the v-nose punt style of the edgetracker. There are a couple of interesting products on the market in this category now. The Horizon seems to be a popular choice, and Makocraft has a nice hull design also.

My challenge at the moment is to find one that is only 3m or 10ft to use as a car topper.

Cheers.

Ed.

kingtin
04-05-2007, 11:42 AM
as i am going to be doing a lot of casting from it stability is my main concern
kingtin how does the edgetracker ride in smooth waters does it ride nice

Ed, said it all Darryl

Ed, stessl does a 10 footer, that's the one I crab from. As you say, they fly with a small engine (10 merc). Me and my mate, and it gets up and goes, just put 8 crab pots in it though and we have to find the wake of a Berty or Riviera to get us up.......vey fine line with 'em regarding whether they plane or don't.

kev

angler1
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
i have a stessel but its not a edgetracker its an angler they are similar in the back end but it has a vee nose. mine has all the casting decks and stability to boot.

sempre
06-05-2007, 07:57 PM
I used to have one , very stable boat for its size .Never had any problems with it , but then again i never had it to long for anthing to happen.
I will say they dont like the rough water that much , but they're not really ment for open water .
Sam..