PDA

View Full Version : For the love of Wild Fish & Natural Habitats

Jim_Tait
03-05-2007, 04:18 PM
In this day and age of burgeoning impoundment fisheries with metre plus barra and half metre bass passé' for half serious fishos I wonder how many of us rec fishers remain committed to the maintenance of wild fisheries (i.e. fish populations that live within open river systems and have naturally recruiting populations)?

Personally, I get a bigger buzz catching a smaller wild barra or bass in a natural stream environment than some mega size stocked fish out of an impoundment. To me its about the total environment experience which includes appreciation of natural riverine / wetland environment features such as riparian vegetation, river channels / flows and river landscapes and reading those in terms of where fish may be lurking.

While I don't deny the buzz that a impoundment caught fish can provide (and I do chase them occasionally), I sometimes worry about the disconnect between fishers and natural ecosystems and processes. The quality of freshwater rec fishing was once a barometer for the health of river catchments and ecosystems and degradation of either was the cause for consternation amongst fishers and political pressure being applied to natural resource managers.

These days stocked fisheries created in artificial environments (impoundments) satisfy many rec fishers and our political leaders and natural resource mangers can be let off the hook (by fishers at least) in terms of keeping natural ecosystems healthily and functional in terms of natural fish population viability.

One other aspect of wild fishery fishing – particularly on smaller river systems and streams is that it often involved more direct and physical engagement with the outdoor environment i.e. river bank walking, canoeing and required explorer skills in terms of finding good country – the impoundment scene where it all can be done from the comfort of a swivel seat on a 4+ m bass/ barra boat (hey I got one too!) just doesn’t seem quite as wholesome a fishing experience to me – how do others feel? What gives you your buzz in terms of freshwater fishing options?

Regards and tight lines - Jim

Owen
03-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I like your point about the fishing being a good barometer of the health of the waterway.
In that respect I suppose we have taken our eye off the ball in our fixation on stocked impoundments.
Sadly, people like water, will go to the point of least resistance.
Impoundments increase you chances... period.
Add in the access problems related to natural fresh water systems and I can't see the situation changing.

scottym
03-05-2007, 08:30 PM
The point you make Jim ceratinly rings true for me. Like you, I do fish the impoundments and thouroughly enjoy it but there is just something special about flicking lures in the wild from the bank or a canoe for species such as saratoga and sooty grunter or futher south for bass and murray cod. There is just something great about it that I cant quite put my finger on. Perhaps the fact that these systems and the fish in them have been there for hundreds or thousands of years or maybe its just me soaking up and enjoying natures sights, sounds and smells. At least the impoundments might take some pressure of the special natural environments.

Scotty

Jim_Tait
04-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Fully concur with you Scotty re: impoundment fisheries taking pressure off the wild systems, I think this is one of their greatest benefits.

Owen I think you have also hit the nail on the head re: the access issues associated with freshwater river systems. My personal approach is to rely heavily on where my canoe can take me once I've found a public road crossing - though it can still get you into trouble particularly where watercourses aren’t defined as a crown water course - which for smaller streams or larger lease hold properties is often the case.

I am surprised that this issue hasn't been taken up more by rec fishing lobby groups. Such groups always seem to be quick to rail against any further commitment of waterways to conservation purposes (i.e. closed areas - something I'm supportive of if their in the right place for the right reasons) but have never taken up the cause for increased access to rec fishing resources on private lands - perhaps because Australia is still the land of the Squatterocracy and common plebs don't think we have a right to access fishery resources through private lands.

While the rights of freehold land are one thing (even there I think there needs to be more liberal river / riparian access), a lot of Australia especially Queensland is covered in Pastoral Leasehold land and the legal battles associated with Native Title have shown that a lease for pastoral purposes does not extinguish the communities right to access other resource values of leasehold land (i.e. fishing areas).

Obviously I can understand why pastoralist would'nt want a lot of d***heads accessing their properties, leaving gates open, littering and frightening stock etc but surley there must be a manageable middle path somewhere? Years ago when I was on the Freshwater MAC (Fishery Management Advisory Committee) in Queensland I put a proposal up that every pastoral leasehold property should be assessed for fish habitat and fishery resources during the lease renewal process and good habitat and fishery areas excised to form freshwater fish habitat areas with managed public access - sound good? Imagine how much more public accessible wild fishery there would be in Qld if such a proposal was pursued! Given the political and economic might of the big landholders I wouldn't hold my breath waiting!!

Regards - Jim

rob tranter
04-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi all,
In NSW we can access any natural river/creek system, no matter who owns the land it runs through "Riparian rights" (I think that's how you spell it.
The thing we can not do is access these waters by travelling over the owners/lease holders land.
What I tend to do once I find somewhere I like to fish is approach the owners and ask there permission.
So far so good, no knock backs.
I've only fished running water for Trout (I know there not native, but they're great fun)
and Bass.
As far as dams go I've fished western ones for Yellow belly/ Cod and Silver perch.
Yet to have a go at Barra, wild or seeded
Rob8-)

the_matrix
04-05-2007, 03:10 PM
The path of destruction left by undesirables often lets down the good folk who do the right thing.
Awoonga catchment is an example. Futter creek through Frosties quarry was once able to be used as access to fish, and even an unofficial campsite. The land was agjisted for grazing purposes, but the gazzeted road gave access to some great camping areas and excellent wind protection. A great place, having your tent on the rivers edge.
Within 18 months, the bundy cans, rubbish, shit paper and gates left open letting cattle out forced padlocks on all the "backdoor" entry points.
If I was a landowner, buggered if I'd want a free for all accessing my property.
In todays day and age, the threat of litagation forces many land owners hands, which is a shame.
Its the world we live in.
Jas

Jim_Tait
04-05-2007, 03:53 PM
See where your coming from and largely agree Jas, My folks used to live on pastoral properties in the Gulf of Carpenteria and I've seen my share of D***heads who sour relations with land owners.

Still I reakon there is probably some middle ground where manageable access points could be trialed - perhaps in conjunction wuith some fee/revenue generating paid permitt arrangement and associated ranger enforcment of appropriate practices - rather than a 'free for all'.

Regards - Jim

mylestom
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Jas,

Totally agree, as used to have a property and only copped grief when you let anyone on to fish.

Fence posts burned, paddock of grass burned, gates left open( Bull in with heifers, not impressed).
Put limit on catch and take, but they boasted at local pub about all the big cod they took.

With public liability it is up to the landholder to ensure that their is no risk for these idiots (OR THEY WILL SUE).

It is not worth the hassle, yeah sure there might be some genuine ones out there, but what guarantee can they give you that they will not sue, damage or in anyway cause a problem on your property. Sorry but the easiest method is not to let them on your property.

Years of hard work for the landholders can be ruined very quickly by a few unconcerned individuals.
Trev

Jim_Tait
07-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Don't argue with you at all Trev,

but what I was proposoing was the prospect of excising some fish habitat and fishery areas from large pastoral leases in which case it would no longer be the leasee's responsibility re: public liability and it would be up to releveant Govt agencies to manage access and behavioural issues - admittedly it would be a challenge but it could open up enormous areas of new public accessible fishery and why shouldn't we as the public be prepared to go the costs to manage the d***heads if the returns to teh community were woth it?

Regards - Jim