PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a rod grip

trueblue
02-05-2007, 07:08 PM
How do I remove and replace a rod grip and reel clamp seat?

I have an old rod that has a busted reel clamp seat and the reel is being pushed up and into the upper grip. The grips are just conventional foam rubber grips. I just don't know how to take them off and glue on new ones.

Rod is a Penn Powerstick Plus. Might not even be worth repairing, but I am curious how to do it.

Cheers

Mick

trueblue
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Surely somebody can tell me how to take the rod grips off. Is there a way to disolve the glue, or do I have to hack them off in bits and then glue new ones on?

Or is it a throw away item?

I just don't know how they are fitted together inside.

Mick

DR
03-05-2007, 11:10 AM
you will have to carefully cut them off, the reel seat will be the hardest, as you will need a hacksaw or even one of those little dremel tools.. be CAREFUL...DO NOT cut onto the blank, there should be sufficient space between reel seat & rod blank to do it safely.
when reel seat is off use a slide knife/box cutter to carefully remove as much of the grips as possible, again, don't cut into the blank..then using the back edge of a strong knife you should be able to scrape most of the rest away.
when that is done yo then need to fit the foregrip, followed by reel seat & then rear grip..the grips will stretch enough to go on from the rear, soak them in metho for a while to help with the sliding over the glue..

trueblue
03-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info

sid_fishes
07-05-2007, 07:45 PM
someone once told me to use compressed air to blow the grips up so as not to damage the blank as for the reel seat just take your time and cut it cheers ian

sid_fishes
07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
and buy the way , thanks for your help with the raymarine i, ll get the card and go from there i hope