PDA

View Full Version : grips

jan
01-05-2007, 09:53 PM
G'day all,
Well I got my grips the other day and have made a few designs. Some colour patterns worked out ok but input is welcome as to what you guys think looks good as I haven't made these before so don't really know.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/grips4.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/grips3.jpg

and I finally got around to finishing off the scales pattern.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u192/rodsbyjan/bluescale.jpg

Cheers,
Jan.

Owen
01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I think they all look pretty good, although some are a bit loud for my personal taste.
I like the pattern of the yellow & red one, but not keen on the colour.

Love the wrap... Job well done! :thumbsup:

p.s.
I'm the resident expert on all thing colour & colour co-ordination in this household. :-X

jan
01-05-2007, 10:41 PM
yeah I agree about the pattern on red/yellow Owen. I will try to get more of a blend like the black/blue in the scale wrap. Just need to learn to take my time and measure things out properly.
Cheers,
Jan.

sandyd
02-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Owen p.s.
I'm the resident expert on all thing colour & colour co-ordination in this household. :-X

Says the man who wanted to paint the main bedroom like the Pink Floyd's cover "The Dark Side of the Moon" and all the rest of the walls upstairs in dark dark brown. Jan don't listen to him.

As you are limited to colours I like what you have done and i am sure after awhile you will find other materials that could also be used for the inlays. Good job Jan.

B_E_N
02-05-2007, 11:39 AM
i think the blue would have matched your wrap perfectly, i also like the grey and red and black grips, i think keeping the grips sublte in the design is the way to go, use your thread work as your wow factor. in my personal opinion a simple looking grip fits rods better to much colour makes it to overpowering and steals the spot light away from your thread art to much.

Jethro
02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
They look great.... I love the red/yellow and the red/black..

All of my grips up until this point have been done in cork. Can someone explain what is involved with working with these grips. (cutting, glue, etc).

I have seen some great designs around the place and I wondering just what is involved with putting them together

jan
02-05-2007, 07:03 PM
G'day Jethro,
Ian Miller is the one in Australia that supplies RodMaker magazine from the states. He has plenty of back issues which is where I got the info from. He can send you an email with all the past issues. I am getting the latest one hopefully soon as it has the articles by Scott Throop and ( ? ) Colby and I'd really like to try the holographic/3D wraps they have come up with. www.rodbuilding.org (http://www.rodbuilding.org) has the links you need.

It isn't that hard to do as you put a grip firmly onto a bit of dowel or broken rod, put it on a lathe, spin the lathe, use a bit of size C or E thread and lay it on the spinning grip and with a bit of pressure you will slice straight through the grip like butter. Then its a simple matter of getting the bits you need and glueing them together. Use contact cement to glue them up and follow instructions on the can. wait about 20minutes after the glue has been applied before joining/pushing the bits together. Make sure they all line up and are in correct order etc as once they are joined there is no pulling them apart. I use the plasterers screen mesh to sand back as its easy to clean and isn't as harsh as sandpaper. use different screens ie, coarse through to fine and this makes the job easier. I just have to learn to sand evenly instead of having ridges and valleys in the grips,lol.
Anyway hope this helps even though it is a brief description as I only just learnt myself.
Cheers, Jan.

paul vonderwall
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
hi jan how did you get the colours like that i gather you got different grips and cut them into circles would that be right can you tell me how you did the i am just sick of doing just plain old black grips i brought a jig for making checkers and i havent had time to use it as i am flat doing a lot of repairs so any help would if you can please nice work jan keep up the good work bye

paul vonderwall
03-05-2007, 12:52 PM
G'day Jethro,
Ian Miller is the one in Australia that supplies RodMaker magazine from the states. He has plenty of back issues which is where I got the info from. He can send you an email with all the past issues. I am getting the latest one hopefully soon as it has the articles by Scott Throop and ( ? ) Colby and I'd really like to try the holographic/3D wraps they have come up with. www.rodbuilding.org (http://www.rodbuilding.org) has the links you need.

It isn't that hard to do as you put a grip firmly onto a bit of dowel or broken rod, put it on a lathe, spin the lathe, use a bit of size C or E thread and lay it on the spinning grip and with a bit of pressure you will slice straight through the grip like butter. Then its a simple matter of getting the bits you need and glueing them together. Use contact cement to glue them up and follow instructions on the can. wait about 20minutes after the glue has been applied before joining/pushing the bits together. Make sure they all line up and are in correct order etc as once they are joined there is no pulling them apart. I use the plasterers screen mesh to sand back as its easy to clean and isn't as harsh as sandpaper. use different screens ie, coarse through to fine and this makes the job easier. I just have to learn to sand evenly instead of having ridges and valleys in the grips,lol.
Anyway hope this helps even though it is a brief description as I only just learnt myself.
Cheers, Jan.hi jan what sort of glue is it called please

Jethro
03-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks Jan

That is what I was after

roz
04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I would definately use those grips.

Wish I had my new rod finished...caught a nice cobe yesterday (just spruiking).

roz

finga
05-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Well done Jan,
Mate, my dad would go nuts over the blue and yellow one. Good old Paramatta colours.
I can not see any red, green and white ones. Go the bunnies :D
Thanks for the description on how to do. I might have some more experiments to do :)
Cheers Scott
PS Roz your a skite ;)

paul vonderwall
16-05-2007, 12:58 PM
hi jan paul here again the only glue i have is selleys kwik grip contact adhesive will that glue or what do u use can u let me know please thank u jan

jan
16-05-2007, 06:09 PM
G'day Paul,
I use the Selleys contact adhesive. its a thick yellow paste/glue and u spread it on both sides (not the end of the grips) and slide each section onto a bit of dowell making sure that each bit doesn't touch. after 20 minutes or so I push from each end firmly so that all bits get pushed together. I hold it firmly for a while and then put it into a grip/cork clamp I got from mudhole. I hope this helps. Cheers, Jan.

paul vonderwall
17-05-2007, 12:29 AM
G'day Jan Thank U For This See I Have Been Building For 12yrs But In Some Magazine It Is All New To Like Your Grips My Mate Should Have His Aluminum Butts Shortly When I Get Them I Will Send Message Thank You